We Were Spartans

DesertMummy

Jan 6, 2011
Cool story, bro. I have the same experiences playing over XBL, that I have playing over at a friends house, except at a friends house, we get sidetracked really easily, and end up doing thing better than playing the Xbox.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Heh. Good ol' LAN party. Only thing my dad and I were able to enjoy together, best nights of my childhood. Wish it lasted longer, wish I remembered more. Wouldn't give it up for the world.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
You made me tear up. I almost cried. That never happens to me. Well done, sir. Halo, all iterations of it under Bungie, will always hold a very special place in my heart.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
I think an article like that answers the credit that the Extra Credits team proposed: What does it mean to be a gamer?

These feelings of nostalgia and unparalleled fun, some of the best times of our lives, etc. That's what makes us gamers.

Doesn't even have to be LAN parties specifically, this type of thing can occur over Live or PSN with a group of close-knit buddies.

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
Man, you just punched me in the stomach with a nice wave of depression and nostalgia. I had so much fun with a really tight nit group of friends back in high school where we would LAN up and play almost anything, but Halo was always one of the big ones. We would do it almost every weekend even though we all had Xbox Live. Now I'm a junior in college and we all just kind of drifted apart and did our own things, I haven't seen some of them in over two years because of jobs and college... holy crap I miss them so much right now.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
This article made me sad because these days of playing in the same room with your friends and just having fun is quickly coming to an end every time me and my friends would set up a lan party it would be so much fun much more than just talking over xbox live. But I will always enjoy the times we spent yelling from room to room or just messing around with the people in the same room as you.

I shall miss you Halo, Battlefield Vietnam/1942, Age of Empires, Company of Hero's, Superpowers 2, and the occasional Empire total war. You shall be missed.

(we played a lot of different stuff during the summer months)

Jul 9, 2010
Ahhh LAN games, nothing quite as fun as them, online is just not as fun, unless you're in the room together.

Must put a LAN party together soon.

Thomiroth

Mar 17, 2011
I'm not much of a fan of Halo (for personal reasons as opposed to not liking the game, it's a good game) and I tend towards being a bit heartless, but this almost brought a tear to my eye. I hope that fellow gets to have his Halo Sundays back. :)

The thing is, you really have to set a day and plan around it. That's how I got my Deadlands campaign started. If you don't set time aside for the hobby, you don't get to enjoy it. =/

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
Royas said:
Damn.

This pretty much sums up my experiences, just replace "Halo" with "Dungeons and Dragons". You never really notice when something like that ends. You just look up one day, and realize you haven't played in a long time, and you don't know when you are going to play again. Online gaming is great and all, but it will never replace sitting around the table with your buddies, munching on Doritos and chips, cracking up when somebody does something funny in the game, hanging out before and after.... I miss that.

A lot.
This, this, a thousand times this. (Only replace D&D with Warhammer for me)

OT: Articles of this sensitivity and caliber are what keep me visiting the Escapist. Great stuff, thanks.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Sounds like I missed out. I didn't enter the fray until Halo 3.

I will be getting the new anniversary edition of CE though, it may give me at least a hint of the 'magic'.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
...Damn that's a pretty sad story. It's also amazing; thanks for sharing. Hopefully I'll still be enjoying things like this in coming years.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
And this is why Gary Gygax invented the Table Top RPG..... Because it does not matter what the developers decide upon as far as the next iteration of the game is concerned, what matters is that we HAVE TO be there around a table to play.... Be it Call of Cthulhu or Pathfinder or Wharhammer 40k Rogue Trader we have to be in the same room at the same time on the same day for anything to work.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
This was a beautiful read. Thank you for this.

Made my night even better than it already was.