Wearing deodorant at the gym

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
A friend of mine and I got into an argument today about wearing deodorant at the gym. He found out that when I go to the gym I don't wear deodorant and he said that he thought that was disgusting.

My counter argument was that I don't wear deodorant at the gym because it's largely an exercise in futility, since if you're doing a decent workout you're going to sweat through your clothing anyway, rendering the deodorant mostly pointless.

So escapists, settle this argument for me, who is right? Is there a point to wearing deodorant to the gym even if you know you're going to sweat through your cloths anyway?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
So THAT'S where your name comes from :p

Yes there is a point to it if you buy deodorant that's not terrible; It masks the odor. You'll still sweat buckets but it's not going to smell like garbage that has been sitting in a dumpster in the middle of summer.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
tippy2k2 said:
So THAT'S where your name comes from :p

Yes there is a point to it if you buy deodorant that's not terrible; It masks the odor. You'll still sweat buckets but it's not going to smell like garbage that has been sitting in a dumpster in the middle of summer.
How your sweat smells depends largely on your diet. If you eat garbage you'll smell like garbage, and if you eat well your sweat has very little odor. I'd rather smell like sweat than like someone dumped 5 pounds of cheap soap on me.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
How your sweat smells depends largely on your diet. If you eat garbage you'll smell like garbage, and if you eat well your sweat has very little odor. I'd rather smell like sweat than like someone dumped 5 pounds of cheap soap on me.
I suppose if your sweat doesn't smell, that's the only reason I know of to do it.

HOWEVER, before assuming that, I would probably ask a few people whom you trust to give you a straight answer to weird questions like that. Assuming that your sweat does not smell, then I don't know what the benefit would be.

My brother doesn't think his sweat smells but it would bring the most battle hardened bad-ass to his knees if he got a whiff during my brother's workout...

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
If you're working out in a crowd, you could consider it a courtesy by wearing it. Our sense of smell is influenced by what we are surrounded by the most. You probably don't notice the particular smell of your house or car, but it's going to be noticable by someone that doesn't live there. The smell of sweat is going to be similar.

If you don't care about social courtesies, don't wear deodorant.

edit: And while diet does influence your bodies natural odor, it isn't simply about 'healthy' vs 'unhealthy' foods. The byproducts that foods break down into aren't always good smelling, even if they are healthy. Asparagus is a pretty good example.

morrie man

Oct 5, 2008
*I wouldn't say its a case of not caring about social courtesy if your sweat doesn't actually smell.

But I would agree that it is nicer for people to smell the deodorant rather than someone who smells after a long work out, however on a counter note I would agree with gonzo about gassing out people with my deodorant smell.

So personally if you can and others can honestly say that your sweat does not smell offensive then I wouldn't see a need to. You don't offend anyone with a undesirable smell of sweaty body nor overpowering smell of deodorant.

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Is there a point to wearing deodorant to the gym even if you know you're going to sweat through your cloths anyway?
Yes, as a courtesy towards others. A really disgusting stench can throw me off, and if someone who really stinks comes near me I stop what I'm doing and move away from them.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
As a rule until it gets to a point, you tend not to be able to smell yourself quite as much as those around you. You get used to your own scent.

Wearing deodorant is considered a courtesy. And yes, it does make a difference, even if it's only in the beginning. Nothing wrong with applying multiple times as well. The deodorant also helps keeps your underarms (or wherever else you apply) moist and prevents rashes.

Images

Apr 8, 2010
Yes you should wear deodorant if you go to the gym. If you do so you will still smell and need a shower if you work out but you will smell LESS.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Well the hole point of deodorant is so as to not inconvenience the people around you. If he couldn't tell that you weren't wearing deodorant without you telling him, then there's no problem. If you do stink, then do it for the people around you, assuming you care.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Wear it as a point of courtesy. Just because you're pretty sure, even totally certain, that your diet won't make your sweat smell, it's good to put some on just in case.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Wear it for two reasons:

1. It'll partially mask the smell of your sweat.

2. You aren't already sweating the moment you walk into the gym.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
I don't think it's really a matter of which one of you is right. It's just personal preference.

Can't hurt though, right?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The_Echo said:
Wear it for two reasons:

1. It'll partially mask the smell of your sweat.

2. You aren't already sweating the moment you walk into the gym.
1. It will mask the smell from my armpits, which is where you apply deodorant, but it won't do anything for my chest, back, crotch, face, or any of the other places I'm sweating from. Seriously, you should see one of my shirts after the gym, if it's white it's basically see-through and if it's grey it basically turns black.

2. Yes, I am. I ride my bike to the gym, so I'm already pretty sweaty when I get there.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
is there a difference between deodorant and antiperspirant? because their names sound like there is, and your argument sounds like you're promoting the futility of antiperspirant, not deodorant. even with your defense, deodorant still serves a purpose.
if there isn't a difference between them, then [error]. my processes aren't configured for this possibility and you can thusly consider my statement invalid.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
hooglese said:
Wear it to say you did atleast. Or lie. Fuck it just lie you Dirty Hipster.
Even dirty hipsters have morals and standards, good sir, and I would appreciate you not advising me to sully mine.

Good day.

But seriously, I wouldn't lie about something so trivial. There's just no point to it. If you're going to lie at least lie big and get something out of it.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
It is futile, but you can still lie & tell him that you're wearing it for his peace of mind.

Equally futile: Wearing deodorant with a nylon polyester shirt. After awhile it creates a unique funky smell that will still be there half a week latter when you do the laundry.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Akytalusia said:
is there a difference between deodorant and antiperspirant? because their names sound like their is, and your argument sounds like you're promoting the futility of antiperspirant, not deodorant. even with your defense, deodorant still serves a purpose.
if there isn't a difference between them, then [error]. my processes aren't configured for this possibility and you can thusly consider my statement invalid.
Antiperspirants keep you from sweating, whereas deodorants block the smell of sweat, which is the difference. People who go to the gym typically don't use antiperspirants, because you actually do want to sweat, otherwise you could overheat and pass out while you're working out. Deodorant blocks the smell of sweat, but only really works if you're sweating in small amounts (basically you apply it to your armpits, and it works so long as you're only sweating from your armpits).

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Akytalusia said:
is there a difference between deodorant and antiperspirant? because their names sound like their is, and your argument sounds like you're promoting the futility of antiperspirant, not deodorant. even with your defense, deodorant still serves a purpose.
Antiperspirants keep you from sweating, whereas deodorants block the smell of sweat, which is the difference. People who go to the gym typically don't use antiperspirants, because you actually do want to sweat, otherwise you could overheat and pass out while you're working out. Deodorant blocks the smell of sweat, but only really works if you're sweating in small amounts (basically you apply it to your armpits, and it works so long as you're only sweating from your armpits).
as i thought. then as long as the deodorant serves at non-zero efficiency, then it's socially preferable to apply it in situations concerning smelliness.