Wearing Shoes Inside - The Fuck?

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
I keep my shoes on inside usually. Only when I'm nt planning to move out again for the entire day do I take them off.

No one here at my household does their shoes of out of habit.. only if they're really muddy.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
it's kinda a social stigma here to not have shoes on outside of your own home (with the exception of course being beaches and swimming pools) it's just a general uncomfortable feeling. and taking off your shoes indicates you're going to be staying for a long time. (typically into the night) also the whole foot odour thing.

there are some people that don't like to wear shoes though, and generally won't unless it's required of them. i'm one of them. unfortunately it IS required to have shoes on going into public buildings, so i don't get the chance often.
i've only been wearing socks around the house because it's cold as BALLS in the morning and we don't have a heater.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Where I'm at in the US, wearing shoes inside is almost universal, it really isn't that dirty. As for what I think about it, I like it. It keeps my feet warmer and it protects you against the hazards of legos and the like. It's also really annoying to take your shoes off every time you enter a home, and putting them on constantly is even more of a hassle. Also, unless you have a mud room or something like that, it's a real hassle to find someplace to put the shoes.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
The only time I wear shoes inside is when I'm about to leave and remember I've forgotten something. Can't be arsed to take them off during that short time. I feel bad while doing it though and try to touch the floor as little as possible.

I'm Swedish, as well as the OP, so I don't understand it either.
Gaze at our clean floors!

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Realitycrash said:
burningdragoon said:
One person's polite removal of dirty shoes is another's rude exposure of dirty, smelly feet. There is no right action.

Aylaine said:
...I'm thinking that it would be dirty no matter what you do though. Your feet are never going to be clean, ...]
Fixed that >.>
If you properly shower and exchange socks every day/other day, you won't have smelly feet.
Well, most people won't. There are always exceptions.
False. A lot of people have smelly feet. If I wear closed-toe shoes like sneakers or boots for more than about 3 hours my feet smell to high heaven, doesn't matter how often I shower or change my socks, and while I'm a bit of an extreme case, many people I know have similar problems.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Okay.... For all you folks who keep saying "Yeah, but feet are dirty too, so the floor will still get messy."

I ask: How often do you wash your feet? I'd wager most of us do this every day, if not every other day (its just a part of the natural bathing ritual)

On the other hand, when was the last time you washed the bottom of your shoe? I think I wash my shoes, when A it has been a year or so and they need to be cleaned, or B I stepped in dog crap/bubblegum.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
burningdragoon said:
One person's polite removal of dirty shoes is another's rude exposure of dirty, smelly feet. There is no right action.

Aylaine said:
...I'm thinking that it would be dirty no matter what you do though. Your feet are never going to be clean, ...]
Fixed that >.>
No you didn't. You pointed something out. The original text is still up there. Unless you can change that you are not "fixing" anything.

You wanted to be technical about things, so do it yourself first. Set an example or don't bother.

OT: My carpet in the house I am renting in Wenatchee is old enough that I seriously wonder if it has been replaced since the late 70s. The house is old, it was built in 1908. I would rather wear something on my feet in that house. I do however leave my work boots by the door. Just not as comfortable when I get to relax mode after work.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It's always been my view that removing your shoes in someone else's house is actually an act of high familiarity that might be viewed as offensive if done by those who are only casual acquantances or strangers. Of course, this is usually put aside during heavy rains with mud and while there's snow on the ground.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
It's always been my view that removing your shoes in someone else's house is actually an act of high familiarity that might be viewed as offensive if done by those who are only casual acquantances or strangers. Of course, this is usually put aside during heavy rains with mud and while there's snow on the ground.
I'm with the wolf on this. It seems rude to me to be barefoot when you have guests over or are at someone else's place (unless they specifically ask you to remove your shoes). Otherwise, I'll take my shoes off when I'm home, but mostly out of comfort than any concern for cleanliness.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Since I am from a place where mud and dirt is far too familiar (neighbouring to the dear OP), not taking of your shoes is pretty disrespectful.

Crimson_Dragoon said:
I'm with the wolf on this. It seems rude to me to be barefoot when you have guests over or are at someone else's place (unless they specifically ask you to remove your shoes)
You don't wear socks?

angry_flashlight

Jul 20, 2010
I take my shoes off inside and anytime I go over to someone's house. It's polite to not track dirt and mud from outside around someone else's home. If it's raining outside (as it is oft to do in fall/winter, especially where I live) you certainly don't leave wet footprints all over your or someone else's house? I mean, that's how you get mould, and no one wants that.

namhorFnodroG

Nov 2, 2011
I can't understand why'd you wanna have shoes inside a house. I clean enought, and I don't need mud all around the house on top of that. It Isn't that nice to be honest. But socks... That's another story.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
I always take off shoes in the house. Hell, I even take off my shoes in the car on roadtrips (if I'm not driving). I like having my feet able to breathe. I don't even like socks.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I respect people's wishes with their own homes, but I really don't care either way when people come to mine. The only exceptions are if it's raining/snowing outside. Also, if you wear shoes, you lose feet on couch/table privileges. While my entire apartment is carpeted, I've never really cared about tracking in dirt. Not really anything a vacuuming doesn't take care of.

CAPTCHA: "the dude abides"

Not relevant to the topic, but it wins my coveted "best captcha ever" award.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I'm surprised you find it so shocking. It's common in the UK ar least, I guess it depends on the country.

Apr 15, 2009
Here in Estonia no one ever wears shoes inside unless they're only stepping in to get something really quick. Also I don't really clean my room often so if people wore shoes inside I would have tons of dirt everywhere and I really don't want that. On top of that shoes are really uncomfortable compared to socks/bare feet, I'd really love to be barefoot all the time if I wouldn't freeze my toes off during autumn/winter/spring.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
In my kitchen (the first room when entering my house), it's common to wear shoes within it when just entering, weather-pending, but pretty much every other room is carpeted and we don't wear shoes inside the rest of the house unless we're just grabbing something.

Depends on the house, I guess. Many other houses don't give a damn and leave it up to me (I prefer to take shoes off if entering for a lengthy period of time).

For television, though, that's an interesting observation and not something I myself would pick up on in most instances.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I wear my shoes until I am damned well ready to take them off. Same with my hat.