Web Browsing While Watching Television On the Rise

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Web Browsing While Watching Television On the Rise

The use of multiple media portals at once is on the rise as just one of anything doesn't seem to satisfy anymore.

According to data collected by Nielsen, the time people spend using both the internet and television has gone up by nearly 35% in one year. This refers to simultaneous use. For example, someone that is updating their Facebook page every 5 minutes with the current happenings in an episode of American Idol.

In 2008, Nielsen found that those using the web and watching television at the same time at least once per month spent an average of 2.6 hours doing so. In 2009, that number shot up to 3.5 hours. Matthew O'Grady, a Nielsen media use researcher, attributes most of the increase to social networking sites such as Facebook.

Does this research say anything about our hunger for knowledge and media, or does it just mean that more people are spending time on Facebook? Personally, I know I've always tried to dual-wield technological devices, such as playing a PSP while watching the latest episode of Fringe. This is more about trying to fit all I can into one day than a particular hunger for media. Most people can probably only concentrate on one learning source at a time with any actual degree of focus anyway.

The internet is increasingly becoming a way to artificially be in a room of friends while in reality being completely alone, and I think Nielsen's research reflects the social use of a computer rather than some kind of dizzying media obsession. Not that Facebook isn't a dizzying obsession, right Farmville players?

Source: New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/05/business/media/05drill.html]

Uberjoe19

Spartacus
Jan 25, 2009
Eww, Farmville. Thank God Valve whipped those Zynga clowns into the next Web version.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I can testify on this. I have my TV and computer next to each other. That's not very healthy, is it?

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
I usually play my 360 while surfing the internet on my laptop. I need my tunes, too.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I'm guilty of using two things at once...I'm here on the escapist in the Asylum while seeing who killed who in CSI

adrakonis

Feb 27, 2010
Well it's not that shocking... I even do it, sort of. Watching a movie and doing stuf on my pc. Not really revolutionary.

DoctorWhat

v11.1 beta2
Apr 10, 2009
Yeah, I often have... Many devices going at the same time... Not gonna say how many. _>

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I generally do this too. I am on am MMO so, usually I can be watching a film, or, playing some other console whuilst things are quiet. So, for me its common

Caurus

Mar 24, 2010
I often have the TV on when I'm on the computer..but I don't talk about what is on TV. TV is boring as but the noise is comforting...

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
The only time I ever updated about what was on TV was the men's gold medal hockey game... >_> and pretty much everyone else on my friends list was doing the same, so...

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Back in 1986, I would put a black and white TV on top of my color TV on my desk so I could watch Monty Python and David Letterman while I played Bruce Lee or surfed BBSs for hot warez on my C64.

So nice of you kids to finally catch up.

mambodog

Jul 8, 2009
Funny, I'm doing this right now. Watching Seinfeld reruns with my macbook on my lap.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
This is dumb, either you are interested in what is on TV in which case you concentrate on it, or you aren't in which case it is a distraction to whatever it is you are doing.

Nothing I hate worse than going out to a bar/restaurant or a friend's house and seeing a TV on for no reason.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
I like to watch some TV while I'm commenting on forums or whatever.

Currently watching Question Time on BBC1 as I write this, after having watched the Digital Economy Bill pass in Parliament (Boo!).

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
PayJ567 said:
I hate TV. Thankfully I am out of this statistic. I don't watch TV at all.
Same here. I sometimes want to watch documentaries or whatever, but then I just stream them off their website instead.