Web-Shooters Appear In Next Spider-Man Film Because Spidey's Smart

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Web-Shooters Appear In Next Spider-Man Film Because Spidey's Smart

Director Marc Webb gave Peter Parker mechanical web-shooters in his upcoming movie because they show off the character's creativity and genius-level intellect.

When the trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man surfaced a couple of weeks ago, it was met with mixed results. On one hand, the look of the film seems to be darker and much more serious than <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-High-Definition-Trilogy-Blu-ray/dp/B000UR9T82/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1312354658&sr=8-4>the Sam Raimi trilogy. On the other hand, there was that dreadful first-person sequence at the end that made it seem like someone owed EA an apology for stealing footage from Mirror's Edge.

However, one thing that left many people confused was just how Spidey was able to websling around town, since he seemed to be spinning webs via his neck. It turns out that Peter Parker will be returning back to his comic book origins via mechanical web-shooters, and director Marc Webb wants you to know why he and his crew went with this decision.

As Webb recently explained in an interview, having Peter Parker invent mechanical web-shooters was a great way to develop his character and establish him as a smart guy. Not only that, but Webb got some ideas about the devices from the man who created Spider-Man: Stan Lee himself.

"I had a meeting with Stan Lee and we talked about the web-shooters. I was curious about the incarnation of them [because] of course in the previous films [they went away from them] and we wanted to reestablish ourselves. That was one thing but the other thing was the fact that the web-shooters were able to dramatize Peter's intellect and I thought that was really cool. ... It was in the comics and we have a different design but it's a cool element to have. It's not something we over-use or over-exploit. To me, it's something I remember from when I was a kid and thinking 'It would be cool if I could build those.'"

While the teaser trailer may seem a little dubious, it sounds like Webb is at least taking the character seriously. The Amazing Spider-Man is due out next July, so it'll be a little while before we get to see if Webb's vision was worth the wait.

Source: Hero Complex via <a href=http://io9.com/5826808/why-did-the-amazing-spider+man-go-back-to-mechanical-web+shooters-plus-more-dark-knight-rises-and-man-of-steel-set-photos>io9

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
I'm feeling optimistic. 500 Days of Summer was pretty damn good, after all.

Also, the director's name is ridiculously appropriate.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
So the director of the new spider man is named Webb? The irony. Clearly more than a coincidence. Do you think if I changed my last name to Hammer I could direct the next Thor?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Who wants to guess how many times running out of web will be used as a plot point?

Just like in the ol' cartoons. :3

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I think the choice to go back to the web shooters is pretty cool, but if they're going to use them I expect there to be at least one scene in the movie where running out of web cartridges complicates a critical situation; just putting them in for the sake of conveying that "he's brainy" doesn't cut it.

-EDIT- Damn ninjas, they're everywhere!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
nope, still not bitin' Webb. This still looks like a cynically designed, soulless attempt to keep the rights and the dour image this movie is giving off is NOT what Spidey is about.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Sonicron said:
I think the choice to go back to the web shooters is pretty cool, but if they're going to use them I expect there to be at least one scene in the movie where running out of web cartridges complicates a critical situation; just putting them in for the sake of conveying that "he's brainy" doesn't cut it.

-EDIT- Damn ninjas, they're everywhere!
At least they're not going to try and say he's intelligent by giving us a montage of him playing chess. Anything would beat that.

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
Didn't webs come out of his neck at one point in the trailer though? How the hell did he manage that with web shooters attached to his wrists?

Anyway, I'm finding it hard to get excited for another Spider Man movie...

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Ironically, the only good thing about the trailer was the first person sequence.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
I've never liked the webshooter, the biological web is cooler in every way. The webshooter just seems to undermine the entire point of Spiderman. His most defining superpower is his ability to shoot web and glide around the city. Why even have the part with the radioactive spider if his biggest power has nothing to do with that?

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
FateOrFatality said:
Didn't webs come out of his neck at one point in the trailer though? How the hell did he manage that with web shooters attached to his wrists?

Anyway, I'm finding it hard to get excited for another Spider Man movie...
varulfic said:
I've never liked the webshooter, the biological web is just cooler in every way. The webshooter just seems to undermine the entire point of Spiderman. His most defining superpower is his ability to shoot web and glide around the city. Why even have the part with the radioactive spider if his biggest power has nothing to do with that?
Wow, all of you just said everything I was about to say, except a few things.
This looks loosely based around the Ultimate Spider-Man comic series, which takes place in an alternate Marvel dimension (Earth-1610 - the Ultimate Marvel dimension), where all of the characters were revamped and had different origins from the original ones. For instance, Peter's dad, Richard Parker, worked in a biotechnological firm and died in an airplane crash, Eddie Brock was Peter Parker's childhood friend and his father also worked for the same firm, in collaboration with Richard Parker, Peter got his powers at the age of 15 during a field trip at the age of 15 during his first year in high school (if you remember, the original got his powers in the year before graduating).

The Ultimate Marvel imprint allowed for a plentiful of crossover stories, and even backstory elements related to the characters' coming of age. There was a subplot involving Peter's break-up with May, and him starting to date Kitty from the X-Men, in a special issue of the comic, that took place between two previously-published crossover series where Spidey and the X-Men fought a bunch of guys (I don't want to spoil anything to you guys).

What I think they're doing is rebooting the Spider-Man movie series using the Ultimates storyline, to accommodate their current series of Iron Man and Fantastic Four movies.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
vansau said:
dreadful first-person sequence at the end that made it seem like someone owed EA an apology for stealing footage from Mirror's Edge.
The sequence looks great and does a wonderful job of driving home Spiderman's main superpower: his mobility. It's very obviously inspired by Mirror's Edge, but that's not at all a bad thing. It gives a really impressive, visceral feeling for what has ever been one of the most visually appealing parts of the Spiderman movies. I'm also getting really sick of the attitude that any similarity to games is theft. Films take inspiration and pay homage to one another constantly and they generally don't have to put up with being accused of theft every time. This attitude gamers have developed is really unhealthy and immature.

And I for one really like the mechanical webshooters. The biological ones were tacky and only served to underscore the attempt to turn Spiderman from a nerd-turned-superhero into Action Hero McSquarejaw. Peter Parker is supposed to be a brilliant dork antihero, not just a supernatural badass.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
James Crook said:
This looks loosely based around the Ultimate Spider-Man comic series, which takes place in an alternate Marvel dimension (Earth-1610 - the Ultimate Marvel dimension), where all of the characters were revamped and had different origins from the original ones. For instance, Peter's dad, Richard Parker, worked in a biotechnological firm and died in an airplane crash, Eddie Brock was Peter Parker's childhood friend and his father also worked for the same firm, in collaboration with Richard Parker, Peter got his powers at the age of 15 during a field trip at the age of 15 during his first year in high school (if you remember, the original got his powers in the year before graduating).

The Ultimate Marvel imprint allowed for a plentiful of crossover stories, and even backstory elements related to the characters' coming of age. There was a subplot involving Peter's break-up with May, and him starting to date Kitty from the X-Men, in a special issue of the comic, that took place between two previously-published crossover series where Spidey and the X-Men fought a bunch of guys (I don't want to spoil anything to you guys).

What I think they're doing is rebooting the Spider-Man movie series using the Ultimates storyline, to accommodate their current series of Iron Man and Fantastic Four movies.
agreed, they may want to add spider-man to avengers team later.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
karloss01 said:
James Crook said:
-snip- I can't believe I wrote that much
Also, they're making a Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds, maybe it's part of their Avengers project.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
karloss01 said:
James Crook said:

You both are talking about two different studios there. Sony has nothing to do with the Iron Man movies or The Avengers. Both of those are handled by Marvel Studios.