Webcomic Contest Winner Announced and Gallery Is Live

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Wow, Honourable mentions, I guess that's...
Something, I guess...
Wouldn't have minded the prize to be honest...
Ah well, I guess I gotta wait another 8 years for a decent shot.

Grats to the winner.

(no link my comic, I'm not continuing it, it's all right though, I got others...)

[edit]: It also pains me to see that my PNG. format logo comes out looking like arse...

RetroRobot

Feb 11, 2010
This forum is a lot slower (And making more sense) that the catastrophic mess that was the pre-announcement forum! ;)

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Congrats to all for the good work. My faves were "Girls Don't Game", "Manly Guys..." and "Out of Tens". Too bad that there can be only one winner.

PizzaBagel

Feb 13, 2010
I'm surprised that Manly Guys didn't win. Oh well, no accounting for taste, I suppose.

Why, where did our persistent friend Titankore go? Could it be he buggered off once he realised that his work was sub-par?

Leels

Feb 13, 2010
Wow. Honorable Mention. That's WAY better then anything I was expecting... Even if I'm at the bottom of the honorable mention. Whatever I'll take it! Funny considering this is the first time I've ever made a webcomic. Beginner's luck maybe?

Congrats to the winner and the rest of the Honorable mentions. Some of them caused me to laugh so hard I nearly pissed myself.

I might continue making the comic. I really enjoyed doing it.

Dizko

Feb 25, 2010
isjusterin said:
Good stuff. Mine's up here >> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/webcomic/view?id=74256&ix=7

I think I'm gonna continue mine, and try less to make it gamer-y... I'm better at just random slice-of-life stuff!
Hope you do, I enjoyed your submission. If you start it anywhere let us know, I'll have to put it on my list of "comics to read"

Hat of Controversy

Nov 11, 2009
McAdder85 said:
Really?

But.. it's just another Ctrl+alt+Del / Penny Arcade... with a female protagonist. Go with what you know I suppose. The one that struck me most was the Game Noir comic.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/webcomic/view?id=73892&ix=3

Kudos to RetroRobot.
Well, Ctrl + Alt + Del and Penny Arcade are both popular, so why bother with quality work when you can have a knock off with elements from BOTH of themost popular internet comics evar? Purrfekt lawjik iz purrfekt!

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Ulimately this has been an important learning experience for me. I went the wrong way with my submission and I see it now. I should have done a lot more to set up my characters and setting. While I'm sad about not being recognized, in hindsight I see what the winners and the mentions did so right and what I did so poorly.

So to the Escapist I say thanks for a unique opportunity to examine my own work. This has been helpful in a lot of ways. And here's hoping that there will be a second annual "Escapist Webcomic Contest".

Arvind

Apr 11, 2009
Manly guys doing manly things is definitely my favorite. I wish they get a website and keep making more of them. Hope the Escapist gives them a shot as well.

But, cheers to all who participated and although only one comic won, lots of them have serious potential (such as the last shot and paused in my opinion). Hope you guys keep making more of them!

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Figured I might as well swing by with the strips I had lined up in case I won (which we all know I didn't) good thing I thought ahead and made a losers version of the winner's strip.

And then another one commenting on the state of Facebook.
[no, I have no idea why this one is smaller...]

Just figured they'd only be gathering techno-dust in my picture folders if I didn't put them up here.

phanurius

Feb 27, 2010
Well, i gave it my best.

here i am:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/webcomic/view?id=74273&page=1&ix=8

and this:

I mean no ill will, this is me just being weird.
Thanks, Escapist. You gave me something to do for a month.

sharmander

Feb 7, 2010
cool grats to the winner! At least I can go on with my life now hahaha, well at least I can consistently have updates stocked for my comic for a little bit. That was what killed me, pulling outs 4 new ideas at once. Holy crap yea. Yay for Vector logos!

mine's in page 12, sparkly doom comics (eh whatever this thread is full of linkage as it is). I hope to see you all on the internets continuing your work, joining comic collectives and stuffs. If anything this contest brought us together, made us aware of colleagues, and helped us analyze our art style :). Good good fun all and grats to winner and mentions!

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Gotta say, thus far, Manly Men seems to be the one that's had me laughing the hardest, but Robot Viking Ninja Pirates has me interested the most. That being said, all of these were great and I'd like to see more of each of them.

longyear

Feb 20, 2010
psudonym said:
LACKT said:
Damn You Escapist,I will never come back...Oh,hey a New Zero Punctuation...
Stick around, /co/mrade. I think we're only getting started.
No promises, but I'm starting to think there may be a place in the world for my comic as well.

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
psudonym said:
LACKT said:

[http://img695.imageshack.us/i/prospecting.jpg/]
longyear said:
psudonym said:
LACKT said:
There's no way I'll ever get paid for it, but I'm starting to think there may be a place in the world for my comic as well.
Of course you guys should continue your stuff,you already have established characters,Row Row...Fight da Powah!

DemonofDoom

Feb 23, 2010
Would you jump off a bridge if everyone was doing it?

Shameless plug time.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/webcomic/view?id=74010&ix=4

And I'm already making a site for it.

http://retail-inc.smackjeeves.com/