Webcomic Contest Winner Announced and Gallery Is Live

TheImpar

Feb 23, 2010
B-but mine was done without any artistic standards (any kind of standards, really) in MSpaint and it tried to shoehorn in too many abstract concepts all at once, effectively ruining all chances of anyone being able to tell what was going on! How did this milquetoast crap-wagon FLEE lose? (yes, it had a picture of a FLEA. Yes, I spelled it, FLEE. Yes, this was intentional. It was, like, so layered and deep, man.)

http://www.carpaltunnelfundrome.com/flee/?p=22

Drat. I knew I should have added in a juggling act and some honking clown noises!

Seriously, though, that was a terrible sell on my comic (not that a good sell would have changed my standing). I was thinking that the comic would speak for itself, but in retrospect - What was I thinking? Oh, well. Just to make me feel better ('cuz I know you're all clenching your fists in sweaty anticipation for me to explain my comic) I'll explain a little more.

My comic, FLEE, was going to be a little MST3k mixed with Reboot mixed with some kind of self-righteous, pretentious, weasel-bag author/artist with jittery spiders-for-hands.
MST3k just because of the whole, "random Joe is kidnapped into space and is forced to undergo horrible experiments to somehow benefit his dark overlords in a way he'd never quite understand. His life as a captive in space doing space type things would consist of some of the comic, undergoing these bizarre mockeries of earth games would be the other - and that's where the Reboot comes in.
Jittery spider hands because ... well ... have you seen my comic?

I am going to continue my comic, not because of the MASSIVE INTERNET BUZZ it garnered from this contest, but because I kinda liked my awful idea, and I have nothing better to do at the moment.

Now that I've spent twenty pages talking about myself, I will now nod my head at the other contest entrants. I had a fun time looking through them all. Keep trying, all of my "dishonorable mention" brothers and sisters, and may your roads be paved with sausages.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Axzarious said:
When are they going to start posting updates of Out Of Tens?
Cory and I have strips allready done but we have to wait till the editor gets back from the Games Developer's conference (lucky bastard, I've heard there's strippers :)) before we can get the legal mumbo jumbo out the way and we can start bringing the funny disapointing you all on a semi weekly basis.

On another note, I'm as suprised we beat out Manly Men as you are. It was an awesome comic with fantastic art and an imaginative premise and I'll certanly be keeping up to date with it if the creator starts posting them outside of Deviant Art.

WORKS IN PROGRESS is going on my favourites list too. That multitasking strip made me laugh.

For all the haters (and the venters) out there. Give us a chance eh? Out of Tens was a collabaration between two strangers whipped up to satisfy the rules of a competition. When we've figured out the ins and outs of the Escapist and where we can and cannot go we'll start taking it somewhere new, exciting and possibly populated entirely with dead hooker jokes. I promise you.

Coelasquid

Feb 16, 2010
Goddammit, I'm having real problems getting a domain/web hosting. No one will give me a website without a credit card, which my bank won't give me because they don't think I have enough money to survive.

Tried going with GoDaddy, but I seem to have hit a snag in the "pay by cheque" process where they won't let me continue until I pick my state out of a list, even though I already told them I live in Canada.

Argh, guess I'm gonna have to deal with this when I get back from my trip to the States.

Artorius

Mar 18, 2009
Coelasquid said:
Goddammit, I'm having real problems getting a domain/web hosting. No one will give me a website without a credit card, which my bank won't give me because they don't think I have enough money to survive.

Tried going with GoDaddy, but I seem to have hit a snag in the "pay by cheque" process where they won't let me continue until I pick my state out of a list, even though I already told them I live in Canada.

Argh, guess I'm gonna have to deal with this when I get back from my trip to the States.
try http://www.000webhost.com/ they free and gives you 1,5 gb space with 100gb bandwidth which is pretty good until you can buy the premium package. also until you get the premium package you will have a free name.comli.com /what you expect its free lol/ so i suggest you get a free name.tk domain until you buy the premium.
hope it was helpful.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
I like the outcome of this contest. Would like to see more of "manly men doing manly things." - it has promise.
Think I'll be getting my art & graphics-tablet skills up over the coming months to have a stab at something like this in future.

Eyeshock

Feb 28, 2010
Coelasquid said:
Goddammit, I'm having real problems getting a domain/web hosting.
If you want a temp solution you can squat at http://www.eyeshock.com I only put it up 2 days ago while fixing all the internal stuff (mostly bot protection) so it looks like ass right now, but it's functional. The CMS comic thing takes like 5 minutes to setup and it's super sweet. http://www.eyeshock.com/_comics/_paz/ I've got plenty of room. Regardless, you already have a growing interest here, so I wouldn't delay publishing somewhere for too long.

The same offer stands for anyone who really loves their submission but haven't successfully secured a home yet. There will be no exchanging of money in either direction. Once Eyeshock is fully functional (I'm working on it daily, but it's a big project), that's it's actual purpose anyhow. The only reason I hadn't brought it up earlier is: well honestly even some of the honorable mentions need massive improvements. And there was WAY too much discussion about "money" like a profit margin was a done deal.

Anyway, the server is massive, mine, and I've already paid for advertising. If anyone is having similar troubles to Coel's feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected] But be forewarned: I'm brutally honest and you are just as likely to get a critique if it looks like you made your comic with a washing machine and a box of crayons.

Eyeshock

Feb 28, 2010
Decoy Doctorpus said:
For all the haters (and the venters) out there. Give us a chance eh? Out of Tens was a collabaration between two strangers whipped up to satisfy the rules of a competition. When we've figured out the ins and outs of the Escapist and where we can and cannot go we'll start taking it somewhere new, exciting and possibly populated entirely with dead hooker jokes. I promise you.
Realistically, Decoy: I wouldn't take what you see in this thread TOO seriously. Artist are as a rule not your target audience. And you're not looking for 350 fans anyway, Escapists wants you to produce thousands. And that'll do just fine with the comic you and your partner produced.

Everyone in this thread has one thing in common: we all lost. So you're going to have sore losers and most of them are never going to give you a chance. And the rest: well 9 times out of 10 when you hear PENNEZYA ARCHADEZ IS NOT FUNNEH ITSZ LOKS LIK KIM POSSIBLEZ: it's a web comic artist.

So stay positive, ignore what you see here and never have that girl gamer protagonist get pregnant and suffer a miscarriage or with god as my witness I will...I'll...write an angry letter. Or something.

SergeXIII

Feb 7, 2010
Coelasquid said:

You could always try the free web hosting route. I have several on the host Comicgenesis [http://www.comicgenesis.com] (formerly keenspace)

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
It's not so much me continuing the comic that I submitted, but it's MiniGames how they existed before I re-vamped the idea and created new characters for the Escapist.

I don't have a website because I'm currently too poor to afford hosting and would rather not put my comics on a site with millions of other web-comics for them to drown in...

So I make do with DeviantArt for now.
[link]http://teh-g-man.deviantart.com/gallery/#MiniGames[/link]
MiniGames doesn't have an update schedule, because it's originally designed as a spin-off.

I have another series which is (currently)reliably updated on Saturdays, called: Playing the Game (It's not about gaming, it's a Metaphor/Analogy for 'Living the Life').
(It's also the the series for which MiniGames is the spin-off of, get it now?)

(Also I have plans for a Website I intend to make dedicated to my comics and other comedic projects me and my mates come up with, So DeviantArt is only temporary.)

SergeXIII

Feb 7, 2010
Archemetis said:
I don't have a website because I'm currently too poor to afford hosting and would rather not put my comics on a site with millions of other web-comics for them to drown in...
Again, there are sites for free web hosting like Drunk Duck or Comicgenesis [http://comicgenesis.com] of which I belong to the later. Host your comics there, Deviant Art is an awful site for archive building.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
SergeXIII said:
Archemetis said:
Again, there are sites for free web hosting like Drunk Duck or Comicgenesis [http://comicgenesis.com] of which I belong to the later. Host your comics there, Deviant Art is an awful site for archive building.
I realise you're trying to help and I appreciate that, honestly.

But it's like I said, I'd rather not host my comic on sites that do it exclusively for lots of people, because I don't want my comic drowning amongst them.
(Ironic considering I'm on DeviantArt, I know but I've already been there for 5-6 years and it's some-what improved in the past year or so.)

That and I have multiple comic series, and plans to create a general media site that handles video skits too.

And I was on DrunkDuck a few years back, I wasn't entirely impressed by it, I can't say I've tried comicgenesis, but from looking at it, it seems like what I fear will happen, I'll join and fade into further obscurity then I'm currently dealing with.

Although I suppose it couldn't hurt to try and branch it out a little more...
There's only so far my fan-base on DA will get me...

Eyeshock said:
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Realistically, Decoy: I wouldn't take what you see in this thread TOO seriously. Artist are as a rule not your target audience. And you're not looking for 350 fans anyway, Escapists wants you to produce thousands. And that'll do just fine with the comic you and your partner produced.

Everyone in this thread has one thing in common: we all lost. So you're going to have sore losers and most of them are never going to give you a chance. And the rest: well 9 times out of 10 when you hear PENNEZYA ARCHADEZ IS NOT FUNNEH ITSZ LOKS LIK KIM POSSIBLEZ: it's a web comic artist.

So stay positive, ignore what you see here and never have that girl gamer protagonist get pregnant and suffer a miscarriage or with god as my witness I will...I'll...write an angry letter. Or something.
Also, while I've noticed it, I gotta say.

Not true.
I'm a... Well all right, I consider myself to be a web-comic artist.

I read Penny Arcade and think it's hilarious most times, and the artwork is incredible some days. Unfortunately for Decoy though I also think they're the only gaming web-comic really doing it right and really, even Penny Arcade don't focus on Gaming too much.

I have a certain way of going about new content on this site, I try to enjoy all of it when it comes along.

Granted looking at some of things I've said about Game Dogs or even that new thing about girls who play D&D you wouldn't think that, but honest to God I try to watch, read or look at everything on this site because I want to enjoy them.

Fair enough Decoy's comic is still in the completely Raw phase, and I understand they need to know how far they go and what things they go near before they establish themselves, but It's like I've said before compared some other ideas (My own excluded because some of the ideas I've seen shit all over mine) Out of Tens was just very underwhelming.

Hopefully this isn't interpreted as me arguing against your opinion or trying to step up as the voice of the 'haters'. I'm just trying to make it understood that I'm not saying that for now I'm not completely sold on the winner's comic because it beat mine, It's just because right now I've seen it all before, and unfortunately done much better.

Again, congrats to decoy' and I really hope you prove me wrong, This site needs some genuine entertainment consider the crap it's recently taken on...

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
The winner definitely deserved it, but I would still like to see more of:

# Furrama for The Interwebz
# Coelasquid for Manly Guys Doing Manly Things
# andidas311 for Paused
# Conicon for Girlies Don't Game
# maxbola for The Last Shot
# Lysgaard for Bumhug Parade

I guess I'll have to check if any of them are planning on continuing their strips...

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Decoy Doctorpus said:
On another note, I'm as suprised we beat out Manly Men as you are. It was an awesome comic with fantastic art and an imaginative premise and I'll certanly be keeping up to date with it if the creator starts posting them outside of Deviant Art.
Congratulations Doc on the win! I think your entry was great. You did a great job of selling the premise/characters and yucking it up in your four strips. Looking back, I tried to sell a premise and was really short on humor. As a result, I had nothing really eye-catching.

I'll be reading your comic twice weekly here at The Escapist. Again, great work!

Dizko

Feb 25, 2010
It's funny, this contest made me realize I'm not a very good webcomic author and canceled my webcomic of almost a full year as a result. It's all a matter of perspective I suppose, on to the next project!

maxbola

Feb 4, 2010
If anyone is interested, the Last Shot website is now live, with some new strips you haven't seen at the contest:

If you want to take a look, the link to the site is under my profile.

Is anyone else about to launch his/her own project? Besides Decoy Doctorpus, of course :)
If so, please, let us know!

Coelasquid

Feb 16, 2010
maxbola said:
If anyone is interested, the Last Shot website is now live, with some new strips you haven't seen at the contest:

If you want to take a look, the link to the site is under my profile.

Is anyone else about to launch his/her own project? Besides Decoy Doctorpus, of course :)
If so, please, let us know!
Ah, good stuff!

I'm in the process of getting something running. My domain just activated and a pal on DA is helping me get the page together so hopefully in the near future thepunchlineismachismo.com will be ripe with comics for the picking. I've got another nine strips sketched up in various stages of completion waiting to debut.

Remy Cambridge

Feb 8, 2010
I thought I'd bump this, seeing as it's going to be a pretty relevant thread again. Alright fellow honorable mentions and our dear winner. It's time to do good.

PS. For anyone who didn't know. http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/
It's up. And it's good. Go bombard her with your clicks!

CTihor

Jan 9, 2010
Hey Peoples,

I had the pleasure of entering the webcomic contest with my comic Pre-Apocalyptic Blues featuring the artistic chops of Kevin Macintyre. Unfortunately, we didn't win or get honourable mention or anything, but we were so inspired by the experience that we decided to keep the comic going. Check it out at http://preapocblues.wordpress.com and let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Chris