Wedding Ring Added To Team Fortress 2 Inventory

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Wedding Ring Added To Team Fortress 2 Inventory

Finally, the Heavy can properly express his love for the Medic.

It made sense when Valve Software starting adding additional guns to Team Fortress 2. It's a first-person shooter, so more guns means more fun, right?

It made less sense when Valve unveiled an entire line of hats for the game, but y'know, these guys made Portal and Half-Life, so who are we to question their creative genius?

Now they've added a wedding ring to the game. Sorry, but I don't know how to rationalize this one.

The ring, which is formally known as "Something Special For Someone Special" was secretly added to the game's crafting system in the most recent TF2 update. Though missing from the official patch notes, players quickly found the item in the game's code and added it to the fan-generated Team Fortress 2 Wiki [http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Something_Special_For_Someone_Special].

Unsurprisingly, the Wiki doesn't even attempt to explain the ring's purpose.

We here at The Escapist are a news outlet, first and foremost, and we take that role very seriously. While others might content themselves with merely reporting the facts of the situation, those "facts" leave so many questions to be answered, so it is our duty as purveyors of truth to offer some form of explanation for this ring's existence.

However, that seems like a lot of work, and to be honest we're drunk on the holiday spirit (also, egg nog). Thus, I throw it to you, dear readers. Why do you think Valve added a wedding ring to Team Fortress 2?

(Wild, unfounded speculation is a form of truth, right?)

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/20/ladies-brace-yourselves-secret-wedding-ring-item-added-to-team-fortress-2/]

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I get the feeling this is for someone that asked Valve for help proposing to his girlfriend, kind of like what Gearbox did when they made the Claptrap proposal video.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Obviously Valve is one-upping Gearbox's answer to a fan wanting help in proposing to their girlfriend.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
Some dude just asked the valve devs if he could propose to his girl in TF2 and as the devs are such good sports they agreed and made him a ring.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Umm...so you can propose to someone, either seriously or ironically.

I mean seriously, there's nothing to ruminate over. How is this not self-evident?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Xanadu84 said:
Umm...so you can propose to someone, either seriously or ironically.

I mean seriously, there's nothing to ruminate over. How is this not self-evident?
Pretty much this...Pretty much this.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
I just hope that this isn't for a specific proposal, or else the internet has just spoiled it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
GHudston said:
I just hope that this isn't for a specific proposal, or else the internet has just spoiled it.
This is what I've been saying on Steam's TF2 forum.