Weekend Box-Office: Marvel's Guardians Take Back Top Spot

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Weekend Box-Office: Marvel's Guardians Take Back Top Spot

Sin City sequel bombs as Marvel space heroes rocket toward "Year's Biggest" title

A pair of surprises at the weekend box-office have put Marvel's Transformers: Age of Extinction's [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9615-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Surprise-This-Movie-Rocks] $243 million to become the biggest hit of Summer 2014.

The expectation of most analysts was that the weekend would be handily won by teen weepie If I Stay, given the big turnout for the similar The Fault in Our Stars earlier in the year. But after a decent though unspectacular Friday in the top spot the film dipped lower than expected on Saturday. Also, while no one was expecting Robert Rodriguez's Sin City sequel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9674-Sin-City-A-Dame-to-Kill-For-Bleeds-Substance-for-Style] to be a breakout hit almost a decade after the original, its meager sixth place debut will likely mark it as one of the year's more notable flops.

With almost no major-market challengers on the horizon (possible exceptions being the family-friendly sequel Dolphin Tale 2 and the Denzel Washington actioner The Equalizer) as Hollywood's schedule enters the early Fall slowdown, it's possible that Guardians could remain box-office champ for another several weeks. If so, it's widely expected to exceed the (current) year's-best totals of both Captain America: The Winter Soldier [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/8771-The-Lego-Movie] to become the biggest hit of 2014.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2014/08/box-office-friday-if-i-stay-to-take-no-1-sin-city-2-tanking-in-dog-days-of-summer-823607/]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Good show, bravo!

Take that Micheal Bay!

*blissfully ignores the fact that the two Bay movies were hard to overcome in box figures*

<.<

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
Good films are popular? Madness.

As an aside Guardians is massively helped by how goddamn personable its leading man is. Visits sick kids in full costume? Check. Spends a good bit of time actually talking to them, including about a previous film with a fan of that film? Check. Arranges a special screening of Guardians for the kids? Check.

Damn son.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Great I guess?, it's not like I didn't enjoy this years TF compared to the last 3, I actually thought AOE was better than the last 3 because of Lockdown, bringing Frank Welker into the movie series and having him play Galvatron instead of nemoy who played Sentinel.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Well, glad to see that it's put the new TMNT movie back where it belong.
This calls for something special!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GncYQHBJIw

Dec 14, 2009
I'm glad it's doing so well, I haven't enjoyed a movie this much since the Lego Movie.

Also, that thumbnail is kinda spoilery as fuck.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I can't even imagine the party Marvel must be having at this point.

'THEY LIKED THE SPACE RACCOON! WE OWN ALL THIS SHIT!!!'

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
..to become the biggest hit of 2014.
Uhm Bob, forgetting a certain fantasy movie coming out later this year?

Also, let's not forget that Transformers has done over $800M internationally :)

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable circumstance that anything so mindbogglingly good to watch could have actually done well at the box office that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
'But,' says Man, 'the success of Guardians of the Galaxy is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have done well by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Well, duh!

First of all, to all you people squealing about the downfall of western civilization when TMNT overtook Guardians on its opening week - of course it did. Guardians was in its second week, TMNT was fresh. If you were to compare Guardians opening week (90 mil) and TMNT opening week (60 mil), you get a much clearer picture. Also, TMNT dropped off dramatically, while Guardians are rolling steadily along for several weeks now, as the word keeps spreading about what a great movie it is, and people are even going for second viewings, while all that's spreading about TMNT is its own stench.

As for why Guardians are so successful, that's also easy - it's good, it's fun, and it's pretty. Rarely is a movie all three of these, with most summer blockbusters being fun and pretty, but not very good. Add to this that its setting and genre isn't exactly overflowing at the moment (not many space opera type films flying around, is there?), it's a breath of fresh air. Funny enough, when I try to recall the last movie that had all three of these, I land on another Marvel movie, Winter Soldier, which also did VERY well at the box office. Funny how that works out, isn't it? Almost like people want something worth seeing before they'll go to a theatre...

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Vie said:
The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
'But,' says Man, 'the success of Guardians of the Galaxy is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have done well by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy quotes, gotta love em

Ot: Glad to see it beating back the competition, even if tmnt has already got a sequel it doesn't deserve.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Jandau said:
Well, duh!

First of all, to all you people squealing about the downfall of western civilization when TMNT overtook Guardians on its opening week - of course it did. Guardians was in its second week, TMNT was fresh. If you were to compare Guardians opening week (90 mil) and TMNT opening week (60 mil), you get a much clearer picture. Also, TMNT dropped off dramatically, while Guardians are rolling steadily along for several weeks now, as the word keeps spreading about what a great movie it is, and people are even going for second viewings, while all that's spreading about TMNT is its own stench.

As for why Guardians are so successful, that's also easy - it's good, it's fun, and it's pretty. Rarely is a movie all three of these, with most summer blockbusters being fun and pretty, but not very good. Add to this that its setting and genre isn't exactly overflowing at the moment (not many space opera type films flying around, is there?), it's a breath of fresh air. Funny enough, when I try to recall the last movie that had all three of these, I land on another Marvel movie, Winter Soldier, which also did VERY well at the box office. Funny how that works out, isn't it? Almost like people want something worth seeing before they'll go to a theatre...
You speak of madness, my friend. Madness, I tell you! You're applying logic to this and that just won't fly around here.

Honestly, I agree. Marvel has made several solid movies at this point, which probably helps, too. People see the Marvel name attached to a movie and can have confidence that not only can they take their kids to see it, but they will enjoy it, as well. I can't think of a single Marvel movie that was truly bad. Not as good as it could have been perhaps, but not outright bad.

Plus, as you said, it's a Space Opera type of movie and those have been somewhat lacking. Frankly, I left the movie feeling like I saw a Star Wars film, and that even gave me some confidence for the Star Wars movies that will be coming out.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
This makes me immensely pleased, Guardians is my favorite movie in recent years.

Sanunes said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Also, that thumbnail is kinda spoilery as fuck.
How? Its from the first trailer, for its different in the movie itself.
I assume he's referring to the thumbnail picture on the actual Escapist homepage, which is in fact the final scene of the film and is somewhat unexpected.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
This is great news. Guardians was an excellent movie. Easily will be my favorite movie of the year. Cannot wait for the next. Cannot wait for a Howard the Duck reboot either! That's going to be one wacky fun ride IF the idea is picked up and ran with.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Edguy said:
..to become the biggest hit of 2014.
Uhm Bob, forgetting a certain fantasy movie coming out later this year?

Also, let's not forget that Transformers has done over $800M internationally :)

Transformers AoE has done over $1 billion internationally.

And as usual if a film he likes does shit in the US but good internationally then only internationally matters but if the reverse is true only US matters.