Weeping Infant Killed For Disturbing Dad's Gaming

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Weeping Infant Killed For Disturbing Dad's Gaming

A 20-year-old Florida man is in police custody after allegedly shaking his infant son to death.

Jacob Hartley (mugshot at right) is currently charged with aggravated manslaughter of a child and aggravated child abuse following two incidents in which he shook his three-week-old infant son, leading to the child's death.

Ah, but why did Mr. Hartley kill his offspring? According to police reports and the initial testimony of the child's mother, this act of violence was Hartley's response to his son's incessant crying.

The Orlando Sentinel reports:

On Thursday, the boy's mother, Amber Newton, said Hartley played video games from about 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

During his video game session Hartley held his son for about 30 minutes. At one point Hartley used both hands to pick up the boy and shake him while saying, "Damn you Colton, please go to [expletive] sleep."

That's when Newton took the child from Hartley, according to a Hartley's arrest affidavit.

After playing his Xbox for several hours Hartley went to work at Sam's Club, where he stocked produce, according to Sheriff's records. When he returned to his Lakeland home after work, Hartley again played video games until 4 a.m. Friday.

The infant woke up and began crying around the time Hartley went to bed. While Newton prepared a bottle for the baby, Hartley held the boy on his chest, reports show. Hartley claims he fell asleep and woke up a short time later to find Newton holding their son, who was unresponsive.

Newton noticed that the child was bleeding from the nose and mouth and immediately rushed it to the hospital where it died a few hours later. Doctors there claim the child's injuries "were consistent with being shaken."

When confronted by authorities Jacob Hartley admitted to shaking the infant, and was immediately placed under arrest. He is currently awaiting trial in Florida's Polk County Jail.

Though its commonplace (and disturbingly acceptable) to try these sorts of issues in the media, that seems crass here. You can draw your own conclusions about this case. Please deposit all vitriol and existential worry for the human species as a whole in the comments below.

Source: Kotaku [http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-06/news/os-lakeland-dad-infant-dead-20120406_1_hartley-claims-lakeland-man-infant-son]

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I stop trying to think of why anyone would do that. Shake an infant, there is some level of stupid trash that I can not perceive. WTF

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I was going to say I don't want to live on this planet anymore but no...

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
I would joke if it weren't such a damn shame. I'd rather let the kid cry himself to sleep then physically abuse him. If anything, I'd just make sure his needs are met then leave him alone to get all the crying out.

Ugh... but even then, I don't want to have kids. This is just depressing.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010

Tell me Fox News is covering something big and fancy like a presidential election campaign...

We have enough of theese bloody stories getting out.

Also bet he was playing either Gears 3 or MW3.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Gee, only in Florida...

Look at that neckbeard. That's the kind of shit that grosses me out. And that somehow produced offspring?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Urgh not another one, I still remember reading another recent and related post of a child death but this one was more brutal (the father punch the baby to stop it crying).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I'll be somewhat honest in saying that this could be born of ignorance. Given that the guy is 20 and his girl is probably equally young, did the guy really understand that a baby could be killed by shaking? That does seem to be a common cause of accidental infanticide. I think some people do not get how fragile babies are, and that does lead to accidents.

This does not make it right, because a parent should learn these things, but it's a bit differant than the guy callously murdering his offspring over a video game, which I do not think is what happened here.

To be honest with overpopulation I've been a big fan of mandatory, reversible sterlization on all people in the USA or anyone living here, and requiring people to get permission from the goverment to have kids, which would be granted only after being able to prove the abillity to support them, and an appropriate amount of parenting knowlege before the birth.

While that could be abused, I think such abuses are a small price to pay for less people overall, and less incidents like the one we're reading about, not to mention helping to deal with all the ghetto children and associated contreversies in all directions. Rather than paying some lady to support children she couldn't afford, just don't let her have kids to begin with... that solves a lot of problems as callous as it might sound.

The basic point here is that this is a screwed up situation, but just watch, nothing much is going to change because of it. This guy may or may not have his entire life ruined for what is probably an accident, and the same thing will continue to happen for a variety of reasons in other cases because the conditions that enable it won't be addressed.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
I know that one is not supposed to just character by appearance, but take a long hard look at that mugshot and tell me this wasn't inevitable.

Sep 14, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:
Gee, only in Florida...

Look at that neckbeard. That's the kind of shit that grosses me out. And that somehow produced offspring?

oh you haven't seen anything. i've seen guys on campus who grow the neckbeard out a solid 3-4 inches while shaving EVERYTHING ELSE. it's bloody gross, i have yet to see a single person who would be interesting in such, not to mention how fucking hot and gross it must get.

OT: this is pathetic, not only are you a father first and everything else second, but you went out of your damn way to hurt the baby, instead of just letting it sit there and cry itself into a nap. if the baby wasn't sleeping, then there was PROBABLY a reason (growing pains/filled diaper/etc..)

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
As I told a friend who read a similar article: Some gamers seriously can't take responsibility.

If holding a crying baby was such an inconvenience, he should have handed it off to the mother before trying to shake it to silence. If she was busy with something such as cooking or cleaning (You know... Things responsible people tend to do) then he could have asked what she thought the problem was or taken over what she was doing so she could take care of the baby. Video games can wait for an hour. Some even come with a handy Pause feature.

Being woken up by a crying baby while the mother was out? Okay... Go through a checklist. Chance the diaper even if it doesn't need changing. Get some food and see if that's what the baby wants. If none of that works, maybe he just wants to be held and talked to. It could be other things, but I haven't spent enough time around infants to know the ins and outs. I do know, however, that shaking a baby is a much worse idea than shaking a baby doll when it gets stuck in a crying loop.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
MrBrightside919 said:
I bet this will be blamed on Violence in Video Games by someone...and not this guy
Not violence... Video Game Addictions Rob Adults Of Sense, Make Them Murderers.

Alternately: Nintendo Wii Leads To Shaken Baby Syndrome. (I really need to stop reading the newspapers and get a less morbid sense of humor...)

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, well I'll be somewhat honest in saying that this could be born of ignorance. Given that the guy is 20 and his girl is probably equally young, did the guy really understand that a baby could be killed by shaking? That does seem to be a common cause of accidental infanticide. I think some people do not get how fragile babies are, and that does lead to accidents.
I don't know, I'd say that's pretty common knowledge. "Never shake a baby" is something that's been drilled into my head by my parents and schools since I hit puberty.

The guy is a dick, regardless of whether he plays video games or not. Some people just shouldn't have children.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
He looks like just the kind of go-getter who should have kids. I bet he can barely take care of himself.

KevinFournier

Feb 27, 2012
It seems clear from the article that this man was an addict. The fact that his drug of choice was video gaming is irrelevant. Look at his eyes. The guys rarely sleeps, as evidenced by his game play binges. This is a case of a man lost so deeply in his addiction that he lashes out at anything that threatens to take him away from his drug. Unfortunately, this cost the life of his son. Now this guy is at a cross roads. Can this tragedy bring the man to face reality, or will he spiral ever more deeply into his deep seeded depression? Let's hope it's the former and he seeks the help he desperately needs.