Weeping Infant Killed For Disturbing Dad's Gaming

brigette464

May 15, 2008
too young to have kids for one. and working in retail. i babysit for quite a few hours a day and it cuts into my video games. as does working in retail and my second job. babies: NO JOKE.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Aprilgold said:
Zer0Saber said:
I stop trying to think of why anyone would do that. Shake an infant, there is some level of stupid trash that I can not perceive. WTF
It has something to do with a level of frustration with just having to deal with the infant, rather then actual intent to hurt.

VonBrewskie said:
With yah on that one buddy. Child killers deserve to suffer in public. Put that shit on TV so other sick f***s get the message that our society won't tolerate this sort of evil.
That won't help, mate. It didn't work for the Greek Colosseums and it won't work for us. The main reason it didn't work is because humans, in general, will do what they must to achieve what they want, even if it means having to fight a lion as punishment if they don't get away with it. Greeks made it entertainment for the masses, broadcasting it over television could have worse implications since its pretty brutal seeing a dude get killed in any way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People need to understand that this is not limited to just gamers, but to just people. Some people can not under any circumstance handle themselves around a child. Hell, not to long back a man used a cinder block to kill his baby so that it didn't die of starvation. Mean of him to kill the baby at all? Yes, of course. But there was no guarantee the kid would get adopted and it died as quick as it lived.

People in general can't handle their frustrations well and many will resort to taking out their frustration on the one that is making them frustrated.
That's a fair series of statements. I think when you cross the line, when you shake a baby to death, you lose everything. "That's game over man. Game over."

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Shaken Baby Syndrome has occurred for various reasons, and this time the issue has landed in the video game community's front yard. Maybe next time it will land on the front yard of the community that watches "The View".

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
GAH! That's disturbing. I think I want to go crawl in a hole and forget the world exists now.

The Task Master

Apr 10, 2012
Wow, that's sad to hear that a man could ever do that. Taking a life so young is almost beyond me. I can't even begin to understand how that could ever happen. Its a hard reality we face when this kinda thing happens in the world. This, and much worse things. Some day I hope that a mother would never have to experience this in her life. My sorrow gos out to that mother.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Fuckin' Florida.

But seriously, why the fuck would anybody's response to a crying child be to violently shake it?

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
VonBrewskie said:
That's a fair series of statements. I think when you cross the line, when you shake a baby to death, you lose everything. "That's game over man. Game over."
The guilt, in and of itself would be enough punishment for the man. If anything, death would be a escape from that guilt, thus why killing him and locking him in prison is more of a reward then a punishment. I think that the death penalty shouldn't be in place because of things like this. What the hell else are you going to do? Your home is not waiting for you, your family probably doesn't want you, your already in prison so what else can you do once you get out? The only thing coming your way is death and even then it isn't that surprising since your getting it for what you have done.

Killing a man is not going to do anything but prevent them from killing again, but it costs so much more money then just helping the man to learn not to kill again.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Therumancer said:
To be honest with overpopulation I've been a big fan of mandatory, reversible sterlization on all people in the USA or anyone living here, and requiring people to get permission from the goverment to have kids, which would be granted only after being able to prove the abillity to support them, and an appropriate amount of parenting knowlege before the birth.

While that could be abused, I think such abuses are a small price to pay for less people overall, and less incidents like the one we're reading about, not to mention helping to deal with all the ghetto children and associated contreversies in all directions. Rather than paying some lady to support children she couldn't afford, just don't let her have kids to begin with... that solves a lot of problems as callous as it might sound.
I assume you are suggesting requirements here somewhere along the lines of adoption requirements.

The problem here is that such a solution will drasticly effect the way parenting and the economy works. To start with most schemes are aimed at high income brackets, not the acceptabiliy of the individual. Also if this scheme was passed we'd end up with a lot of full time working parents who would be forced to higher care workers who, with the significant rise in demand, would be more strickly regulated than present. This could result in a nation of children raised on principles set by governmental standard. That's a big cultural step to take and overeaches the initial goal of making children safe.

There's the further issue of convincing people that they should be a part of your society to start with. Imigrants aren't going to want to come work in your country with these laws in place; the reason for their move probably being to give themselves and their family a better life. And who's going to fill the low-to-middle end jobs that are left vacant in their absence? Not the people who hope to have children some day. I can see a large social divide appearing between the low and high end earners if your suggestion was implemented.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Aprilgold said:
VonBrewskie said:
The guilt, in and of itself would be enough punishment for the man. If anything, death would be a escape from that guilt, thus why killing him and locking him in prison is more of a reward then a punishment. I think that the death penalty shouldn't be in place because of things like this. What the hell else are you going to do? Your home is not waiting for you, your family probably doesn't want you, your already in prison so what else can you do once you get out? The only thing coming your way is death and even then it isn't that surprising since your getting it for what you have done.

Killing a man is not going to do anything but prevent them from killing again, but it costs so much more money then just helping the man to learn not to kill again.
I think you need to look into how much it costs to rehabilitate a prisoner, and how often the system of rehabilitation fails. It's not killing the man. It's executing him. I think using the word "killing" implies that the guy is being victimized. He is not a victim. Execution is an appropriate process for removing a person from our population that has fucked up severely enough.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
Therumancer said:
To be honest with overpopulation I've been a big fan of mandatory, reversible sterlization on all people in the USA or anyone living here, and requiring people to get permission from the goverment to have kids, which would be granted only after being able to prove the abillity to support them, and an appropriate amount of parenting knowlege before the birth.
I agree with this. I find it fascinating that you need a license to drive a car, but anybody can get together and have a child. People should be screened. I also agree with the doubt that it was intentional.

Seriously, though...lots of babies have been killed by being shaken. Shouldn't people be past this by now?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
gunner1905 said:
[

Well, the thing is to control population growth which has to happen by preventing new people from entering the population in greater numbers to avoid using resources to begin with, when old people have already lived and consumed resources through their entire life. Preventing births is the way to go for this.

The Free Market won't sort things out, it will sell what is availible until there is nothing left, irregardless of who winds up receiving it. The point is to prevent those resources from being used to begin with, in order to allow the planet to gradually replentish itself.
That's where we differ, I really doubt that resources will be used up till it's gone because before something is fully gone it will be to expensive to be used in the first place for most people, it's not like say oil stays at $5 per gallon till suddenly it's gone, what would happen is prices would rise exponentially until almost no one could get it and those people will substitute (there will always be a substitution, I can't think of one thing that doesn't have a substitute too (water will never be fully gone, medicine is artificially made)) to something else.

So the biggest point problem with your solution is not really the solution itself but that is a solution to a problem that will never happen. Unless of course, as I said, there's some sort of mass extinction event.

What situation in the future do you imagine where a resource can suddenly be fully gone?[/quote]

Actually it will be, wood, metal, and oil to name a few that will cease to exist given time due to overpopulation. You might not like that fact, and a lot of people don't, but it happens to be true. Mostly your just looking for ways to justify me being wrong, and I understand why, what I'm saying is pretty grim. However, people are going to have to learn there is no talking aroumd, or rationalizing aroumd, unpleasant realities they do not want to face.

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
Therumancer said:
gunner1905 said:
[

Well, the thing is to control population growth which has to happen by preventing new people from entering the population in greater numbers to avoid using resources to begin with, when old people have already lived and consumed resources through their entire life. Preventing births is the way to go for this.

The Free Market won't sort things out, it will sell what is availible until there is nothing left, irregardless of who winds up receiving it. The point is to prevent those resources from being used to begin with, in order to allow the planet to gradually replentish itself.
That's where we differ, I really doubt that resources will be used up till it's gone because before something is fully gone it will be to expensive to be used in the first place for most people, it's not like say oil stays at $5 per gallon till suddenly it's gone, what would happen is prices would rise exponentially until almost no one could get it and those people will substitute (there will always be a substitution, I can't think of one thing that doesn't have a substitute too (water will never be fully gone, medicine is artificially made)) to something else.

So the biggest point problem with your solution is not really the solution itself but that is a solution to a problem that will never happen. Unless of course, as I said, there's some sort of mass extinction event.

What situation in the future do you imagine where a resource can suddenly be fully gone?
Actually it will be, wood, metal, and oil to name a few that will cease to exist given time due to overpopulation. You might not like that fact, and a lot of people don't, but it happens to be true. Mostly your just looking for ways to justify me being wrong, and I understand why, what I'm saying is pretty grim. However, people are going to have to learn there is no talking aroumd, or rationalizing aroumd, unpleasant realities they do not want to face.[/quote]
You might feel that way but there really seems to be no indication that it has or it will reach that level (of everything is running out). Like I asked, what kind of situation (that doesn't include mass extinction events) that could really lead to something going totally gone without anybody not noticing it, the government can't hold a secret with the internet and all that, and if it does go to that level people will change their consumption, not because they want to but because they can't afford it.
Anyway this is really getting off topic, let's make a thread or pm me or something.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Use_Imagination_here said:
Why is this manslaughter and not murder?
Lack of premeditated intent.

runnernda said:
I agree with this. I find it fascinating that you need a license to drive a car, but anybody can get together and have a child. People should be screened. I also agree with the doubt that it was intentional.
It somewhat makes sense in theory, but procreation is distinct from driving in that trying to regulate it means toying with ethical, sociological and political issues that make the whole abortion debate look like a kindergarten scuffle.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Vivid Kazumi said:
you want OUR goverment handle a social issue?!*looks at the drug war,prohibition,mcarthyism and shrugs*yeah nothing wrong can come of this....[/quote]

You can be critical of any goverment and it's abillity to handle problems, especially social ones. There has never been, and will never will be a utopia.

Truthfully I think a lot of the problems with the US has to do with out brand of morality. In general people are never going to be happy with anything that causes them stress, danger, or discomfort no matter how well justified in the big picture or the long term. When dealing with large problems, involving millions of people who are unwilling to change what they are doing. Those people inevitably resist, and the common person winds up being caught in the crossfire and ceases to care about th ebig picture, so much as what makes life easiest for them right then and there. In the US at least morality interferes due to principles where it's considered to be wrong to force a lot of people to do anything, especially by violence, so basically as long as there is resistance eventually people are going to force down whatever is being done on moral grounds. With the way US Elections work, politicians aren't in power long enough for an unpopular, but nessicary plan to work in the long run, people are going to vote for whomever promises them the most peace and stability right then and there, long term goals or repercussions be damned.

The problem with things like "The War On Drugs" is that something like that takes generations to really work, and when you consider my parents generation (the baby boomers) grew up in a permissive generation where drugs were literally everywhere and socially accepted, it hasn't been all that long. This isn't the kind of issue that gets resolved in a few years. Likewise people object to taking severe action in dealing with the problem, such as annihilating the drug production of countries that import drugs into the US (due to it causing tons of civilian casualties), or doing things like making drug use or dealing capital offense, or heck, even just instituting laws and amendements that make drug cases an exception to the normal rules of evidence, focusing less on the legal game, and more on the bottom line.

The point is that you can't point fingers at the goverment for a lot of this, a lot of it comes down to the people themselves. People who generally realize that no major change is going to come without costs. In the US people want there to be a magic wand waved, and problems to go away, without anyone getting hurt, or having to re-evaluate the morality that was permissive enough to allow these problems to occur to begin with.

I could address the Probition or Mcarthy here as well, but this is long enough, and the drug war is the most current example, and getting into the details of too many seperate things would derail the thread, or the point I'm trying to make: it's not JUST the goverment's fault, the people take as much, or even more blame, especially in a country where the goverment is such a reflection of the people themselves.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Grey Day for Elcia said:
[]Feeling a bit nihilistic and antisocial today? That's cute and all, but it doesn't change facts; the U.S. isn't overpopulated. Step outside of a major city and actually look at a map. You see all that empty space? Yeah.

Christ. Ideas like that make me wonder how we as a species survived this long.
Space that is generally incapable of supporting people at a decent standard of living. Sure, technically people COULD live in abject misery in say the middle of the desert, but that doesn't mean they are going to thrive there. Not to mention that just by going there your looking at the cost in wood, metal, oil, and similar things to keep all those people going. Right now with just the people we've got, occupying the space we have, we're literally destroying resources globally, cutting down forests and mining out the earth far faster than it can replentish itself, and even engaging in kinds of resource gathering that greatly reduces the abillity of the planet to recover. Saying we should put people into all of the uninhabited areas (in the US or anywhere) sounds great until you consider that those enviroments require even MORE resources that we're already expending.

See, the issue isn't so much the people, though there are issues connected to that, but the resources USED by the people. While I've mostly been speaking about the US, it's a global issue. Whether we should have one or not, the point is we do not have a global unity at the moment so really the only thing I can talk about is policies the US might pass.

... and to answer the question more Nilistic than anti-social. I recognizing myself as having more than a few sociopathic traits, especially nowadays, but this isn't really based off of any general hatred of humanity as a whole or desire to see people die, it's simply an unpleasant reality.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Djinn8 said:
Therumancer said:

While that could be abused, I think such abuses are a small price to pay for less people overall, and less incidents like the one we're reading about, not to mention helping to deal with all the ghetto children and associated contreversies in all directions. Rather than paying some lady to support children she couldn't afford, just don't let her have kids to begin with... that solves a lot of problems as callous as it might sound.
I assume you are suggesting requirements here somewhere along the lines of adoption requirements.

The problem here is that such a solution will drasticly effect the way parenting and the economy works. To start with most schemes are aimed at high income brackets, not the acceptabiliy of the individual. Also if this scheme was passed we'd end up with a lot of full time working parents who would be forced to higher care workers who, with the significant rise in demand, would be more strickly regulated than present. This could result in a nation of children raised on principles set by governmental standard. That's a big cultural step to take and overeaches the initial goal of making children safe.

There's the further issue of convincing people that they should be a part of your society to start with. Imigrants aren't going to want to come work in your country with these laws in place; the reason for their move probably being to give themselves and their family a better life. And who's going to fill the low-to-middle end jobs that are left vacant in their absence? Not the people who hope to have children some day. I can see a large social divide appearing between the low and high end earners if your suggestion was implemented.

Let me be painfully blunt, it's a global issue, ideally I feel this should probably be the case everywhere but we don't have a gloabl unity to force the issue... at least not yet.

The idea being to reduce the population, so things like immigrants become irrelevent, as it is I believe one of our big problems already is dealing with the influx of immigrants. Discouraging them to come to the US is not a bad thing to my way of thinking, no matter how you do it (but that's an entirely differant discussion).

You are correct that this is not something that is going to happen without repercussions, if it was ever to happen, it would be a HUGE thing. Those problems would however be dealt with, even if it required a degree of brutality, and over a period of time we would benefit, as would the world as a whole if the policy was implemented globally.

The problems I mentioned are more akin to a social divide. Basically if people have to apply to become parents and have their sterilization reversed, and such permits are not always granted, those most capable of raising children are generally going to be those from the upper echelons of society with the most resources to invest. Perhaps not universally, but it would be an issue. True or not, you'd probably also see people trying to make ethnic issues out of it by saying that it was an attempt to breed out [insert minority here] within the US.

That kind of thing would be a BIG issue, but again one that would be dealt with. Reduce the population drastically for a few generations despite the problems, and then you can work on stabilizing the situation. In the end I think the US would benefit from having it's population reduced by about 50% in the long term. Globally as frightening as it is, I'd say the figure gets to be about 80%, but largely because of how dense the overpopulation is in some places. With say China representing 1/3rd of the global population, and India coming close, cutting those nations down would have a much more extreme impact on the overall global population figure than elsewhere, since according to some figures, everywhere else that isn't China or India is cumulatively only a little over 1/3rd of the population.