Weird enemy/boss design that always bothered you or never noticed until now.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was playing Streets of Rage 4, and something still bothers me...

This guy never takes his hands out of his pockets! I get he's got the mechanized/robotic boots, but if it were me, I would still use my fists too. I know Dylan's demeanor is based off wrestler, Orange Cassidy, who fights with his hands in his pockets too. Dylan's body language can be described as someone who's cocky, but does not like getting his hands dirty. But he will sure as hell risk damaging his forehead to hurt someone.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I've never played Streets of Rage but I think that's pretty cool.

OT: Seymore from FF10 is my goto for this question.

Just what the heck even is that hair??

The final boss in Majora's Mask has kind of a lame design as well. Not a fan.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
When the enemy will be magnetically linked to you, so even when you evade an attack of theirs, they just alter trajectory mid flight, defying all laws of physics established by the game, because they aren't allowed to miss. This is doubly annoying when your attacks behave normally, and thus miss when the tables are reversed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
When the enemy will be magnetically linked to you, so even when you evade an attack of theirs, they just alter trajectory mid flight, defying all laws of physics established by the game, because they aren't allowed to miss. This is doubly annoying when your attacks behave normally, and thus miss when the tables are reversed.
God of War 4 definitely has that problem. There are ways to mitigate it or get around it, but it is still annoying.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
God of War 4 definitely has that problem. There are ways to mitigate it or get around it, but it is still annoying.
Yeah, a lot of games have it. Like, I don't mind if it's both ways. Like if I do a leaping attack it will make ME alter space and time to glomp onto that mother fucker and smash his face. At least then it's even. But when my leap attacks miss if they dodge, but they just grapple hook to my ass and start humping away, yeah fuck that noise.

I'm trying to remember what zombie game I played recently where that happened. I've played a few recently so they are blurring together. I think maybe Last of Us 1? Or maybe it was Days Gone, which is a really fucking good game by the way. Some of the zombie physics got a little weird at times though. That game had a fundamental issue with tethering of actions and of monsters. Maybe it was Dead Rising 2, eh, not sure.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm trying to remember what zombie game I played recently where that happened. I've played a few recently so they are blurring together. I think maybe Last of Us 1? Or maybe it was Days Gone, which is a really fucking good game by the way. Some of the zombie physics got a little weird at times though. That game had a fundamental issue with tethering of actions and of monsters. Maybe it was Dead Rising 2, eh, not sure.
I know both RE2Remake and RE3Remake have this. This is intentional too. It's gets worse on harder difficulties, because zombies tend to chase you longer and surprisingly catch up to you in tight, narrow corridors. I find it super bad in 3Remake, because you don't get the self-defense items anymore and have to use the dodge. They should have kept both, and just made the self defense items do less damage, aside from regular grenades.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I know both RE2Remake and RE3Remake have this. This is intentional too. It's gets worse on harder difficulties, because zombies tend to chase you longer and surprisingly catch up to you in tight, narrow corridors. I find it super bad in 3Remake, because you don't get the self-defense items anymore and have to use the dodge. They should have kept both, and just made the self defense items do less damage, aside from regular grenades.
I never played the resident evil series. I watched friends play this shit out of RE 2 back in the day. One friend had heard a rumor, that you could unlock...I forget the capcom character from Tekken, but there was a person in a cyro-tube that you could get a shadowy glimpse of. And the rumor going around back then, was it was a secret character, and to unlock him, you had to get an S ranking on all 4 variations of the playthrough, in under a certain time frame, and never use any healing items except for herbs,a nd never use any weapon but the pistol. When you got to the cyro tube you were supposed to type in something each time, and if you did all that crazy shit, you got the Tekken character to play in the game. As I recall, it was bullshit, but damn if he didn't actually pull that shit off, multiple times in a row. I distinctly remember being high as shit on his couch, watching him play, while a rescue kitten they had found in their backyard slept curled up against my neck. That was a very chill night as a gaming spectator. But fuck if I ever felt compelled to play them myself xD

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Ashina Elite Jinsuke Saze in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a miniboss who only uses two attacks, and one of those only comes out once every three fights or so. His main move is called Ashina Cross, two quick slashes from a draw. It comes out extremely quickly, deals a lot of damage (about 70% of your health bar), still deals most of its damage if you block or parry it, and has a long enough reach that dodging backwards usually won't work. Based on this, you'd think there's no way to fight him, but the trick is that he can't hit you if you dodge towards him, to his right (your left). From that position, he usually can't block your next hit, and he has almost no health; if you did both Gyoubu Oniwa and Lady Butterfly beforehand, it only takes about 12 hits to bring him down. Furthermore, in the draw stance, he moves extremely slowly, potentially giving you an opening to back up and heal if you need to.

The first time I fought this guy, I thought he was an absolute bastard. When I beat him, I thought he was a joke. It took me a while after the fight to realize what he's trying to teach you: even the most powerful and seemingly impossible to handle attacks leave an opening that you can exploit. And considering the major boss waiting not far behind him, it's an important idea to internalize.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never played the resident evil series. I watched friends play this shit out of RE 2 back in the day. One friend had heard a rumor, that you could unlock...I forget the capcom character from Tekken, but there was a person in a cyro-tube that you could get a shadowy glimpse of. And the rumor going around back then, was it was a secret character, and to unlock him, you had to get an S ranking on all 4 variations of the playthrough, in under a certain time frame, and never use any healing items except for herbs,a nd never use any weapon but the pistol. When you got to the cyro tube you were supposed to type in something each time, and if you did all that crazy shit, you got the Tekken character to play in the game. As I recall, it was bullshit, but damn if he didn't actually pull that shit off, multiple times in a row. I distinctly remember being high as shit on his couch, watching him play, while a rescue kitten they had found in their backyard slept curled up against my neck. That was a very chill night as a gaming spectator. But fuck if I ever felt compelled to play them myself xD

😐😐😐😐

I never heard of that rumor before. I've heard of some crazy ones, but not that one for OG RE2.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
This is basically what I don't like about weird semi real time systems. I remember trying to 'dodge' attacks in FF12, but you can't unless it's one of those AOE spells with a marked area. Trying to disengage from random mob A would just have it home onto you.

Tales of Berseria also seemed to have this sorta problem. Like it wasn't a proper action game, but just a weird nonsensical thing where everyone just locked onto one another and whacked out cooldown based things.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
😐😐😐😐

I never heard of that rumor before. I've heard of some crazy ones, but not that one for OG RE2.
Yeah I thought it was pretty insane of a hidden objective, but it was impressive as hell to watch him do it. My invovlement with the RE games has always been as a spectator though. I might've played RE 2 a bit at his house maybe? Dunno, something about the franchise just didn't do it for me.

Tales of Berseria also seemed to have this sorta problem. Like it wasn't a proper action game, but just a weird nonsensical thing where everyone just locked onto one another and whacked out cooldown based things.
Well if EVERYONE was locking onto everyone else, including your characters, then I'm fine with that. It's not the game getting a cheat to ruin your day.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
OT: Seymore from FF10 is my goto for this question.

Just what the heck even is that hair??

The final boss in Majora's Mask has kind of a lame design as well. Not a fan.
I'd forgotten about that, but yeah, I'm trying to imagine exactly how one styles their hair like that and all I keep defaulting to is that one joke in There's Something About Mary.