Weird game "habits"?

theincurabletragedy

Feb 22, 2010
For example a friend of mine has to explore every last corner of a map before doing anything (he has an awful time with Minecraft). Another one can't play unless his character looks sufficiently like him. As for me, when I play HL2 I go around picking up all the random bottles/boxes/shoes/furniture/anything I can pick up and shelve, neaten and stack them... OCD is a *****.

Does anyone else have any little habits like this that are generally unrelated to the gameplay but that you do without fail?

Festus Moonbear

Feb 20, 2013
Giving every vehicle I use a Viking funeral with a grenade once I'm done with it. Shooting everything that might explode even if all enemies are dealt with already. All brightly-coloured barrels must die.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Style Points. Everything must be done with the utmost style possible. Batman Arkham City is probably the best example, I will restart an entire section if I got hit towards the end of a fight or the last stealth attack got a bit loud.

It's also a ***** in some online games as well. Must win with a super in UMVC3 or the most asked question by my LoL duo queue partner "Why did you Flash into that?"

Style Points my friend. Style Points

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
Style Points. Everything must be done with the utmost style possible. Batman Arkham City is probably the best example, I will restart an entire section if I got hit towards the end of a fight or the last stealth attack got a bit loud.

It's also a ***** in some online games as well. Must win with a super in UMVC3 or the most asked question by my LoL duo queue partner "Why did you Flash into that?"

Style Points my friend. Style Points
You see this guy right here?

He's got mad style points yo.

For me it's literally forgetting what I was doing the last time I played- or even better, forgetting where I'm going while I'm playing. You have no idea how many unfinished quests still lay in skyrim because I thought 'Why the hell am I still here? I wanna do THIS quest.'

Nothing gets done in that place because the Dragonborn is very scatterbrained.

Also in FPS or any game involving a gun of some sort: Melee the fuck out of everything. Even if it kills me.

Many a time have I died in Warframe and Halo because I wanted to go beast mode with my fists/sword.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Depends on the game.

In BF3 for example I have to be a sniper. Full stop.

In Skyrim I collect unique/named/Daedric artifacts. I don't even use them, because I can always smith something better.

In the new Tomb Raider I have to collect every document/artifact/GPS cache as well as complete all challenges. Mostly for all the XP so I can spend those points.

In any GTA game I have to collect the fastest cars. I will drive around for hours waiting for one to spawn so I can hijack that ************, then stash it in one of my many garages. GTA4 kind of fixed this by practically giving them away at certain points in the game.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
I tend to have a leave no potentially important person untalked to mantra.

Cities in RPGs can take me a while..

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
COLLECT ALL THE SHIT.

In all seriousness I have to collect every insignificant pickup on the screen (think coins,rings,ect.) or else I get irritated. But then again what's a gamer without a bit of OCD?

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
Im a bit OCD when it comes to quest logs. I hate seeing unfinished quests. If I get a quest, Im compelled to do it. Even in MMOs. I hate it.

In any Elder Scrolls game, if I read a book, and it gives a skill up, I keep it. Even if it means Im burdened, and have to throw away a piece of gear.

Im a compulsive reloader. Horrible habit by the way. If I kill an enemy, I reload. Middle of a fight? Who cares! Reloading. lol

If theres a mini map, you better believe that no piece of that map will be unexplored!

Yeah... I have a few. haha

Pagrek

Mar 20, 2013
Modern stealth games like Assassin's Creed or Dishonored seem to feel that you should have the option to fight your way through. I feel like I fail if I'm spotted and will try to avoid being seen at all, to the point of constantly restarting until I feel "stealthy" enough.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Pagrek said:
Modern stealth games like Assassin's Creed or Dishonored seem to feel that you should have the option to fight your way through. I feel like I fail if I'm spotted and will try to avoid being seen at all, to the point of constantly restarting until I feel "stealthy" enough.

This. In a game where I can be sneaky, I want to be the sneakiest sneak that has ever sneaked.

When there are optional objectives, such as those in the assassins creed games for 100% synchronization, I will replay sections repeatedly until I get all of the bonus constraints.

Frustrating as hell...

Alex Graves

Aug 16, 2012
Making things much more difficult or complicated then they need to be, if I beat a fight/dungeon/level of something in one sitting without dying/getting close to dying I am very disappoint. This makes playing skyrim very hard since most dungeons are only a few rooms deep. Recently picked up torchlight 2 and took 17 minutes fighting a single boss on my first try/run through and it was just a random side-dungeon boss, ah the good old days(though the second time I did it(same class zerker) it only took 3 minutes :/). A nice little habit from playing nothing but rpg/rts games growing up.

Another thing is potions, I will horde them like no tomorrow but never use a single one...because potions are for entitled three year olds who can't win/self heal.

The last one is less weird and more stereotypical(sort of anyway), I am becoming more and more against change, not against new things/ideas (can't even count how many betas I have joined, and indie games I have played), just keep getting slapped in the face with bad deals. Here recently the main culprit is Riot and the league of legends. I used to main Jax, Eve, and Vlad, and even though Vlad is still one of my main-stays after the unnecessary reworks on Jax and Eve they where just not themselves so I stopped using them. Then there was the whole Soraka/Warwick lore change, no....just no. So after the losing Jax/Eve I had to pick up some more champs to take their spots picking up Gangplank for my ad top to take Jax's spot and for Eve (who I used as an ap bruiser(tanky mage)) there was only one to choose, someone who could be my tanky mage, someone underloved, underplayed and to most "underpowered" I choose RAPTURE!! No not really I took Karma and she took me best choice I made since buying Vlad the day he came out. Now she is in the midst of a "rework", again very unnecessary, and for a long time coming I knew it was going to take her from me, I played her on their test servers and she is way to different(again). She is still nice overall but she is not the girl I ran to when they took my Eve away, so yeah...change sucks sometimes and I have gained the habit of hearing "change/rework/redesign" as simply "we are taking this away from the people who love it with all their heart and making something entirely new with the same name attached", and that can be applied to things ranging from bayformers to the TMNT squad being aliens....

Yeah, good times....well I am off to drown the sorrow of losing a good friend in....well I have nothing to do but go to bed. :/

Oh and Eve was a real big hit for about 3 months...don't even know when the last time I'd seen her I think it was after the dfg nerf....so yeah I give new karma at most 5 months before she is just as underplayed as before. :/

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
I have to power-level in JRPGs. Beating that fire boss from FF12 with just one Quickening was one of my proudest moments in gaming.

mastermarty

Feb 13, 2010
In any RTS game I first need to make a incredibly well defended base before I even start scouting. No matter if I need to attack or if it's a stupid strategy, I need to build a far-more-defended-than-I-need base. I lost many times thanks to that "habit".

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
I make some....odd noises when I get into a heated battle like tense moments in LoL for instance, or scout vs scout fight in tf2. It always makes me feel ashamed if I'm on my mic, but I can't stop it.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
theincurabletragedy said:
For example a friend of mine has to explore every last corner of a map before doing anything (he has an awful time with Minecraft).
I do that in Bioshock games and I did it in Tomb Raider as well. In Bioshock I see where the arrow tells me to go, and visit every corner of the map except for that direction before going there. That's mainly to avoid missing out on anything like voice recordings or special items. In more open world games such as Tomb Raider, I do it to get all of the collectibles. It's a slightly OCD thing where I like to have one area 100% completed before moving onto the next.

With Minecraft I don't have the same problem, because there is no part in the game where you have a "No going back" scenario. Games with stories often have them, which is why I do it.

Also in RPG's I like to have all side quests completed before going onto main quests. Which is why I find Skyrim irritating when they give you side quests without you even asking to do them.

My other habit is reloading frequently, no matter how many bullets are in the clip. This sometimes means I am reloading as often as every five to ten seconds.

mastermarty said:
In any RTS game I first need to make a incredibly well defended base before I even start scouting. No matter if I need to attack or if it's a stupid strategy, I need to build a far-more-defended-than-I-need base. I lost many times thanks to that "habit".
That one too. I like having a nice efficient, well designed base before moving onto the objectives. It works well for most games, but not ones where you are on the clock.

Elb1anco

Apr 1, 2010
I am not really sure if this is a game habit, but in many games where I die repeatedly I tend to eat a bite sized food (chips cookies or candy) take a drink of water or scratch my head each time I die. This has led to many things from me having to pee every 30 minutes to a raw scalp.

Mak Stormwielder

Guardian of the Twilight Spring
Mar 19, 2010
In most RPGs I get 3/4 of the way through and have to restart, always thinking that there is an even better way to get to the same point and be even stronger when I get there, no matter how many times previously I've restarted.

In Morrowind I have to collect one of every book, leaving behind valuable items just so I can carry more books away with me.

In other games like Vanquish I have to restart from the last checkpoint if I make even a minor mistake, makes playing through those games take nearly ten times as long as they should.