Welcome to the Dungeon

Christopher B

Sep 9, 2009
Welcome to the Dungeon

Chris Brackett brings us Dungeon World, a free, tabletop, fantasy RPG.

Read Full Article

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
Did you make the map using Campaign Cartographer by chance? I know its been a trusty ally in the making of my worlds and recommend it highly to any DM without an Art qualification and allot of free time.

Christopher B

Sep 9, 2009
obex said:
Did you make the map using Campaign Cartographer by chance? I know its been a trusty ally in the making of my worlds and recommend it highly to any DM without an Art qualification and allot of free time.
Nope - it was all done in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I've never used Campaign Cartographer, so I can't personally endorse it. I can, however, attest to the extreme learning curve necessary for the aforementioned Adobe apps...

mudshovel

Sep 29, 2008
Then I realized what was missing: A setting to connect all of these elements. Something cohesive but flexible enough to accommodate Tolkien-esque high fantasy alongside pulp fantasy, and even allowing room for the occasional "gonzo" element that so often cropped up in the early days of fantasy role playing.

That was something I didn't have to even think about when I started GM'ing all those years ago. World creation is how you start, not something that happens because you realise your game doesn?t have any internal continuity or make any sense.

But, "Dungeon World" seems like any other dime a dozen backyard settings. Considering the writer is apparently a "author of several tabletop miniatures games" I would expect something better. I'm not impressed so far, but willing to see what else you have to offer.

If you don't have the time to make your own setting, there is plenty online for free.

Tempest Fennac

Aug 30, 2009
The map and the background fluff look neat so far. Ruleswise, what will Dungeon World be like when compared to other systems? Also, what sort of races other then humans, Elves, Dwarves and Halflings will be available?

Christopher B

Sep 9, 2009
Thanks for the feedback.

mudshovel said:
World creation is how you start, not something that happens because you realise your game doesn't have any internal continuity or make any sense.
I'd like to point out that, if you look at the intro again, you'll see that my reason for creating the world was to connect the future RPG resources I'll be offering in this column. I'm not building an entire game here, and the setting is a vehicle for what's to come, not an entity that serves to exist on its own.

mudshovel said:
If you don't have the time to make your own setting, there is plenty online for free.
True, but is the implication of this that there isn't room for another? I've been running games for almost 30 years, and I - like most other gamers I know - are always willing to take a look at new settings that come along. Even if we've seen it all done before, that doesn't mean we won't find something of use or at least something to inspire us. Is it such a bad thing to add more (free) resources to those already available?

There are a lot of gamers out there who like to reap resources like this for ideas, maps,etc. There are also a lot of gamers out there who dread the thought of creating their own game setting. This may be a useful tool for them, even if all they take way from it are the maps. If you feel that you have no need for something like this because you can do it better yourself, or because you can find what you need elsewhere, good for you! But then this isn't really aimed at people like you.

Cheers!

Christopher B

Sep 9, 2009
Tempest Fennac said:
The map and the background fluff look neat so far. Ruleswise, what will Dungeon World be like when compared to other systems? Also, what sort of races other then humans, Elves, Dwarves and Halflings will be available?
Thanks, Tempest.

I'm sorry, but there seems to be some confusion as to the purpose of Dungeon World. (Maybe because the intro touts it as an RPG? I'll have to see if I can get that changed.) It's not an RPG - it's an RPG setting. It's a vehicle for future system-independent resources for fantasy role-players - especially GM's. These will primarily be "dungeons," but will also include associated resources such as magic items, spells, characters, etc.

If you take a look at my blog (especially items classified under the "Stuff" label) you'll get a sense of what to expect from future Dungeon World installments: rustmonsteratemysword.blogspot.com

Tempest Fennac

Aug 30, 2009
Thanks for clarifying (I thought from that description that some rules were going to be released for the world).

axys

Aug 26, 2009
Woohoo, another world to terrorize my players with! I've been tabletop'ping for 2 decades now & enjoy any & all content I can get my hands on... thank you Chris & I look forward to your future installments.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
We cleared up the language in the teaser text. The editor responsible has been assigned to play 400 hours of Classic Dungeons & Dragons as a 1st level Halfling until they learn the difference between rules and setting. Sorry for the confusion.

Christopher B

Sep 9, 2009
axys said:
Woohoo, another world to terrorize my players with!
That's the spirit! :p

Archon said:
The editor responsible has been assigned to play 400 hours of Classic Dungeons & Dragons as a 1st level Halfling...
400 hours? As a halfling??? Boy, you guys sure take your discipline seriously! Remind me never to cross you...

mudshovel

Sep 29, 2008
Christopher B said:
Thanks for the feedback.
I'd like to point out that, if you look at the intro again, you'll see that my reason for creating the world was to connect the future RPG resources I'll be offering in this column. I'm not building an entire game here, and the setting is a vehicle for what's to come, not an entity that serves to exist on its own.

True, but is the implication of this that there isn't room for another? I've been running games for almost 30 years, and I - like most other gamers I know - are always willing to take a look at new settings that come along. Even if we've seen it all done before, that doesn't mean we won't find something of use or at least something to inspire us. Is it such a bad thing to add more (free) resources to those already available?

There are a lot of gamers out there who like to reap resources like this for ideas, maps,etc. There are also a lot of gamers out there who dread the thought of creating their own game setting. This may be a useful tool for them, even if all they take way from it are the maps. If you feel that you have no need for something like this because you can do it better yourself, or because you can find what you need elsewhere, good for you! But then this isn't really aimed at people like you.
Cheers!
After reading my post again, it does sound a little attacking! Sorry, I didn?t mean it that way!
I think it?s great you are putting a setting online, a game that has been running for over four years run by a friend of mine can be found at http://bleedingworld.wikidot.com/ but it?s not as succinct as your introduction (the game setting has evolved a lot since the beginning.)

Like I said I am going to keep looking, I am currently running a 4th Ed game using the H1 adventure as a springing board. That?s a free adventure online now, originally I payed for it. I think the main reason I posted is because I don?t think it?s really ?awesome- as a showcase setting, that said I would never put my stuff out there. I?m just not that confident!

I am more of a storytelling game player, usually games by White Wolf or such. But I shall what comes next!

cruelcynic

Sep 12, 2009
I really liked the article and I am looking forward to seeing the next post. I am working up my first D&D campaign and I think this will make my job infinitely easier.

Amazon warrior

Jul 7, 2009
I always like seeing other people's world-building processes, it's a good source of ideas. Looking forward to more! :) (I sent a link to my bf too; he's a good world builder but hates drawing dungeons, so I think he'll find this useful as well!)

Flying Pilgrim

Apr 24, 2009
obex said:
Campaign Cartographer,what is that?

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
Sean B. said:
obex said:
Campaign Cartographer,what is that?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=campaign+cartographer