Welcome to The Escapist Awards 2016

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Welcome to The Escapist Awards 2016

The staff of The Escapist picks the award-winning games of 2016!

Read Full Article

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
No actual VR designed games good enough to beat out two random indie titles for Best VR game? Yeesh

Kind of funny that the game that won the Reader's choice poll got beat by a game that wasn't even included in that. Despite (presumably) both this list and the nominees being designated by the same people.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I am not an up to date gamer in any sense seeing as I didn't play any new titles this year outside of Pokemon Sun...

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Best RPG might be controversial and I personally would have swapped the winners for a couple of categories (best strategy and best VR spring to mind) but on the whole, can't argue with these picks.

Titanfall 2's been popping up on a few of these lists now, might have to give that one a go. Still have Doom to finish and Tomb Raider to catch up on so might be a while, but we'll see.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Nice to see Gears of War 4 get some love. I agree that the game doesn't really do anything new, per se, but it does what it does very competently. Some great creativity in the singleplayer, liked the characters, and Horde mode is still pretty fun, or at least it is when teammates aren't bugging out and if you know what you're doing, you can practically make your base unassailable. :(

But still fun.

Other random thoughts:

-Haven't played either, but does a Hearthstone expansion really have more 'meat' than Legion?

-Yeah...sorry guys, Doom 3 is still my favorite Doom game. ;p

-Hardly play enough games to comment, but this doesn't seem that definitive a list of genres. At the least, I'd have expected something like platformers to feature, if only because everyone loves Owlboy.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Ezekiel said:
Dark Souls III and Deus Ex have nothing in common with each other.
They are both RPGs, although from a widely different parts of the definition.

Ezekiel said:
Dishonored 2 and Uncharted 4 have nothing in common with each other.
They are both action/adventure games. It's the one genre that rivals "RPG" in how vague it's defined and what it encompasses. Heck, I've even seen Dishonored being mentioned under the "RPG" label and I don't even think I disagree. I certainly cannot put forward a compelling argument for it NOT to be there, that's how vague the genre is.

Ezekiel said:
Overwatch and Battlefield 1 have almost nothing in common with each other.
They are multiplayer focused FPSes. At least that's very easy to see. Sure, they don't play exactly the same but so what? Counter-Strike and Unreal Tournament have very little in common mechanics-wise but you can very definitely say they go for the same market niche.

Ezekiel said:
Awards feel so forced.
I agree with that but the criticism above isn't really well grounded.