"Well, I don't even own a Television"...Ugh

Sep 17, 2009
Have you ever come across a person who prides themselves in the fact that they don't own a television, or deprive themselves of some other form of "escapism" and just get plain annoyed?

I have a passion for theater, T.V. and film so I find it very frustrating when I hear about people not owning a T.V. because they think that it's a good thing or they are better than others because of it.

I believe that they are missing out on some great art (it is unfortunate that the best T.V. shows you have to pay for though, for example many shows on Showtime).

Anyone else get annoyed by this snobbery? Or have some of their own experiences to share?

Edit: Yea I kinda just realized that I am more like people that don't own a T.V. than I thought. Most of the shows I watch are off instant view on Netflix or off of my DVR so I can avoid commercials.

Sep 17, 2009
Aylaine said:
No, most people I know love TV. I wouldn't hold it against someone who didn't, because it's probably smarter to not watch that much TV given it usually rots your brain or brainwashes you. This is depending on what you watch though. I know some people who believe everything they see, so the TV is one giant ''believe this'' stream.

It can go both ways though. I blame the media, because if it were possible to just cut them out, I would watch TV again. Unfortunately this isn't the case. :/
Your point is valid. I love T.V. because I watch quality shows, which I consider worth my time.

SlowShootinPete

Apr 21, 2010
Implying that not watching television makes you smart is like saying that not wearing makeup means you must be beautiful.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Well I don't own a computer... oh wait...

OT: Well if they are being snobby douchebags about it, I would rather punch them in the face. However, if they are just stating the fact that they don't own it does not bother me so much. There could be many reasons they don't own such device. Shit like that is pretty expensive these days. Which begs the question, why the hell did my folks by a huge flatscreen tv (come on in robbers, the key is under the doormat) when they can barely afford to pay the damn bills? Stupid r'tards.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
SlowShootinPete said:
Implying that not watching television makes you smart is like saying that not wearing makeup means you must be beautiful.
Best analogy I've seen in a while, man.

OT: To be honest though, I used to not watch TV, because my family's pirated Cable finally busted. :(

Now I just watch things online or buy the DVD box.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Well as of now nothing on TV really interests me so if I where to move out I definitely wouldn't have cable, but I like dem vidjya games and movies too much to not own an actual TV.

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
I own a T.V., but it's not hooked up to anything. Not even so much as bunny ears to get network channels.

It's a glorified medium to play video games with and show the occasional dvd. Over time I started watching less and less tv until I just stopped entirely when nothing seemed worth my time anymore.

I find the passive entertainment of television kind of bland in and of itself. While this was normally overcome by a few good shows I liked nonetheless, I find nearly all tv to be absolute shit these days. It kind of got phased out of my passtimes. Now I just couldn't be bothered; I have long since ceased to care about television shows.

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009
Everyone I know at least owns at TV, though watching is a different story. I have a few friends that use their TV for games, a PC monitor and DVD's, but not actually watching television. Though when you can download all the latest shows and keep up with the US instead of being 6 weeks behind like the rest of Australia, can you really blame them?

Mar 9, 2009
This one girl in my school was bored so she made a gay pride poster in spanish, and then showed it to the spanish teacher who thought it was cool, and then she was all happy about that and I wanetd to punch her in the face.

Honestly, I;m not against gays, but she does shit like this all the time, and feels so fucking good about herself for doing it, and it gets really annoying.

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
I like watching T.V thought at time i think its bad (mostly the god damn news) but other then that its prett decent shows on occasionally. If someone doesn't own one then great for them but if they keep talking about then I will just ignore them the douche bag

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
I use my TV for movies and videogames, however, I do not own cable television. I feel that TV shows aren't really worth my time and would prefer to not pay for a service I'll never use.

I don't consider myself better because of it, I just don't want to waste the money.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
NO T.V.? THAT IS JUST ABSURD. YOU MUST BE LIVIN' IN HICK COUNTRY WHOSE HAD MORE GUNS THAN WIVES.

Hm, I live in an area like that.

Uhm, actually, I don't know anyone who doesn't have a T.V.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I barely watch TV, and I have no idea if the one in my gaming room can capture broadcasts. I've never tried. Really, why would I watch TV when the Xbox 360 is right there, full of zombies to be splattered?

Sep 17, 2009
Eukaryote said:
Eh, almost all content on TV nowadays is garbage, and they are running adverts DURING the damn program now, so I can completely understand if someone gives TV a boot. I know when I move out I won't be paying for cable.
Watch Dexter. Just give it a try. It will revive your trust in television.

Pokenator

May 5, 2010
Nautical Honors Society said:
Have you ever come across a person who prides themselves in the fact that they don't own a television, or deprive themselves of some other form of "escapism" and just get plain annoyed?

I have a passion for theater, T.V. and film so I find it very frustrating when I hear about people not owning a T.V. because they think that it's a good thing or they are better than others because of it.

I believe that they are missing out on some great art (it is unfortunate that the best T.V. shows you have to pay for though, for example many shows on Showtime).

Anyone else get annoyed by this snobbery? Or have some of their own experiences to share?
I don't know what the free-to-air tv is like where you come from but in Australia it is terrible. Most channels are just hours upon hours of really lame dramas, equally mind numbing reality tv shows and sitcoms that are neither intelligent nor funny. Then there's the news, the majority of which is polls on the best laundry powder, neighbourhood disputes, extremely bias opinions on particular issues and the occasional stabbing. The only decent show on is the Simpsons, and even then they're repeats I have watched 50 times over (not to say they're not still good though). We own a tv, but it is only ever used for movies and games, I can't even remember the last time it was used for just watching tv. Pay tv is much better, I love national geographic, the discovery channel and animal planet, but you have to pay for it ;) I prefer get my news from the internet, at least that way you're just a click a way from reconfirming actually interesting stories from other sources (to reduce bias), you can choose which stories you are interested in reading, and there are no ads.