"Well, I don't even own a Television"...Ugh

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I too get annoyed at the people who think themselves "above" a medium. Yeah, Sturgeon's Law ("90% of everything is crap") holds true with TV as with everything else, but there's still Dexter, Mad Men and Doctor Who, with DVD sets of Battlestar Galactica, The Wire, and more...

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I've met some who do not watch T.V. They choose to enjoy their lives in different ways, and that is fine.

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
I don't own a TV either. Why bother getting one when you can now get literally any show on the internet?

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
I don't watch much TV... I watch shows online...

Not sure if that counts in this case.

Kagim

Aug 26, 2009
I think the OP is talking more about the people who use there lack of watching TV as some sort of badge of how great they are and not as a personal preference.

Yes, i have met people like that. People who seem to think they are smarter because they don't play video games. I enjoy it though because they always throw out a "I prefer to read books". It always baffles them when I tell them i read books to.

Its twice as awesome when they try and say they are better because they only read. At this point i just start laughing till they slink away sheepishly.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I don't know anyone who doesn't own a TV. I know plenty of people who don't watch TV programing though. They still watch DVD's of TV series and specials, as do I. Australian programming is pretty crap, so you are better off watching stuff on DVD unless it is on Aunty, then you can still watch it ad free and on schedule.

Sep 17, 2009
Eukaryote said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
Eukaryote said:
Eh, almost all content on TV nowadays is garbage, and they are running adverts DURING the damn program now, so I can completely understand if someone gives TV a boot. I know when I move out I won't be paying for cable.
Watch Dexter. Just give it a try. It will revive your trust in television.
I don't like it. I only watch the Mythbusters and some stuff on the History channel.
I like that stuff too, but wow, to me Dexter is the best show on T.V. Expertly written, brilliantly directed, and skillfully acted. But hey, not everything is for everyone. Makes the world go round.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
I can one-up this thread. I have a friend who doesn't watch a physical television because he claims he is too busy to sit in front of it... so he sits in front of his computer for a good three or four hours a day watching shows on Hulu, but still tries to act like an snob for not watching an actual television. He owns a DVR, gets every channel because his soon to be ex-wife works at the cable company, but instead sits in front of his computer to watch reruns of Lost or MacGuyver or some other show. And yet he wonders why I call him a douchebag so often.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Hell, If I was allowed to play videogames constantly, I probably wouldnt watch much tv. But, I dont mind if people pride themselves like that, as long as they dont think they are cool or anything.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
The Lawn said:
I don't watch much TV... I watch shows online...

Not sure if that counts in this case.
Same here.

As for the OP, If its just a personal preference, then whatever.

But if they think that they're great because of it, then I'll just ignore them all the same.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Everything in moderation. The damned internet is what steals my time. I love knowledge and get lost in articles, blogs, forums, etc very easily. VERY easily. All of sudden my productive start to the afternoon turns into a late night. Le sigh. Haha. Anywho. Back to the topic at hand. I enjoy TV, though I only watch two shows on TV. I do think that if all you do is watch TV then that's a problem but like I said, all things in moderation.

Death on Trapezoids

Nov 19, 2009
I barely watch TV, just for mythbusters.
Otherwise why have a TV when you can stream just about anything online for peanuts?
And then there is always the reason I created a membership for this site, my games.

On topic: If someone is saying they don't watch TV, but they are saying it in such a way that it broadcasts, "hey guys, look how non-conformist I am, I don't watch TV, look at me!" then pity them. An existence that depends directly on what other people think of you is a sad one. However, if they are just stating a fact, I think that's OK.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
I'm used to having the TV play in the background when I'm on the computer. I dont know why. Other than that, video games, and the occasional comedy show, i dont really enjoy TV.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
This type of Elitism i see in all things...from Television to music to video games. Luckily for me most of the people i encounter are normal people who watch limited amounts of Television because work-reasons or lack of funds to afford TV. but should i have to hear these types of people i usually give them my "i hear you but i'm not listening so i don't care" face.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
'Ohh, look at me, I'm a non-conforming green-tard who's better than you because I don't poison my mind with pop culture!' *snrk* Yeah well, your books and shit don't love you like Dr. House loves me :D hahaha.

My TV was unplugged for almost a year. It wasn't anything I bragged about; I watched too much goddamn TV and I figured it would get me out of the house/bedroom more *shrug*

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
Nothing worth watching on TV. Nothing that couldn't be viewed easier in the internet. Not that there's much of that stuff.