"Well, I don't even own a Television"...Ugh

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Most people that I hear say that, usually follow it up with something like "...it sucks" or "because I'm poor"

dont know many people that revel in it.
Had some friends that went through their (pseudo)Buddhist phase and said they "gave up that shit, because Im like beyond that" or something along that line. But even they came back

Aureli

Mar 8, 2010
There's a woman in my speech class who does the same thing about the internet. Every time she comments on it, I come close to twitching, because she goes on about how the internet is a waste of time that makes people fat and lazy and I have to writing my retorts down so I don't go off about her pretentious bullshit.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Nautical Honors Society said:
Have you ever come across a person who prides themselves in the fact that they don't own a television, or deprive themselves of some other form of "escapism" and just get plain annoyed?
I have a very nice TV and lots of DVDs but I don't watch TV channels, ever. I only ever see broadcasted TV when I'm at a friend's house. The reason is pretty simple - I live a pretty strange lifestyle where I could be whisked away at any minute to go and do something, most of my work happens in the evening and I simply can't get my shit together enough to be there at x time every week to see my favourite shows (not that I even have favourite shows but I'm sure I would if I actually watched TV). I also don't really like having it on in the background, I like things to be quiet in my house because when I'm not here things are always very noisy because of my line of work.

DVDs (and YouTube) are better for me because a DVD can fit into my lifestyle - I can watch it when I have time. With broadcasted TV, if I want to see it, I have to schedule other parts of my life around the TV station's idea of good programming, and that's too much of a compromise for me.

Having said that I don't think this makes me "better" than anyone else or anything like that. It's just the way I prefer to live my life. How other people live theirs isn't my business.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Aylaine said:
TV shows like Heroes [...] make TV worth it, which is probably why I still have mine. :]
Maybe the first 3/4 of a season of it... Ever since then, I've only watched to see how much worse it could possibly get and how much more stuff the writers could pull out of their collective ass when they don't know what the hell is going on anymore.

On that note, I don't have a TV. I do have a big monitor with a crapload of inputs that I can hook consoles up to, and my computer can play DVDs and Blu-ray discs, though, but no cable/satellite/antenna or anything. I watch some stuff online (The Daily Show is very convenient that way), but in general I wait for a lot of stuff to come out on DVD/BD, because constant interruptions for commercials make me irritable, and if I really get into a show, I don't have the patience to wait a whole week (or with some of the nonsensical scheduling these days, a whole month) for the next episode. I also have no tolerance for having to watch stuff at a specific time on a specific day anymore after getting used to be able to whenever I want.

If you want to get pedantic, I don't have a TV, but I watch some TV anyway. Heh.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
This thread needs an antagonist, and here I am! sort of..

My flatmate has a TV in the livingroom, but I don't think I've watched a single show on it during 2010. I love movies, books, games, and storytelling in general. It's just that 90% of the television we have is absolutely gruesome Finnish comedy (GRUESOME), or reality TV shows, such as "Which of these guys is gay?", "This Hillbilly guy needs a wife", or "These guys are in a locked house and are assembling jigsaw puzzles".

I mainly just pirate or buy DVD's, because the signal to noise ration on our TV networks are absolutely abhorrent. I also find most new TV series to be pretty bad. Yes, even Dexter, which gets mentioned like.. whenever anything is mentioned.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I only hold it agaisnt someone who chooses to not participate in the consumption of a particular form of escapism if they then go to interject opinions on the subject. I do not offer an opinion of the comings and goings on Lost for example because I am unfamiliar with the subject. The only assertion I can make is that I do not enjoy the show based on what little I have seen - anything else relies on hersay and conjecture.

riskroWe

May 12, 2009
I love TV, I just hate ads. So I download any tv show I want to watch.
I mean we've GOT a tv but I'll only watch it if I'm cooking or something... and only SBS.

CouchCommando

Apr 24, 2008
Theres an awful lot of shit on tv as well though. American cable tv news I find particularly disturbing. I think they should have a warning on that toxic crap, like parental advice required or something

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Have you ever come across a person who prides themselves in the fact that they don't own a television, or deprive themselves of some other form of "escapism" and just get plain annoyed?

I have a passion for theater, T.V. and film so I find it very frustrating when I hear about people not owning a T.V. because they think that it's a good thing or they are better than others because of it.

I believe that they are missing out on some great art (it is unfortunate that the best T.V. shows you have to pay for though, for example many shows on Showtime).

Anyone else get annoyed by this snobbery? Or have some of their own experiences to share?
I understand you being annoyed with people rubbing it in your face because well...they are just snobs and being douches.

But I don't own a TV, and I am happy. I hate commercials with a passion. I don't read magazines for the same reason and if I could find a way to read comics without the ads (without pirating) I would be much happier too. Not having commercials in my life has made me a lot more aware of how they were affecting me before. It was rotting my mind to no end.

I am like you however. I love movies and television shows. My solution? I buy the DVD's.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
I was considering forsaking my television in favor of looking everything up on the internet. Then I remembered the few shows I like to watch on TV I like to watch without leaning forward.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009

I have a passion for theater, T.V. and film so I find it very frustrating when I hear about people not owning a T.V. because they think that it's a good thing or they are better than others because of it.

I believe that they are missing out on some great art (it is unfortunate that the best T.V. shows you have to pay for though, for example many shows on Showtime).

Anyone else get annoyed by this snobbery? Or have some of their own experiences to share?
I don't own a TV but I'm not snobby about it. Well, check that, I do own a TV, but I don't watch TV on it. I use it to play games and watch sports and racing once a week, but its dying and I'm getting a monitor. I just don't like anything on TV(the list of shit rolls on as you probably know), or haven't found anything. Recommend any good shows? I miss having Showtime :(

SlowShootinPete

Apr 21, 2010
Sober Thal said:

Whoops, I just responded to this in another thread, I will respond in a more quick manner to this one.......

Get over yourself, it's ok for people to not like what you do. Art is in the eye of the beholder, not just your eye.

Calling another persons pride into question is a rather tricky ordeal. I would think respecting those who hold different values, is more important than trying to rally others to make your opinions more valid.
The OP isn't bothered that there are people who don't like TV, but that there are people who lord their not watching TV over other people as though it makes them superior.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Well I don't have TV right now, but I don't miss it. I watch my shows on Hulu at my own leisure.

SlowShootinPete

Apr 21, 2010
Sober Thal said:
SlowShootinPete said:
Sober Thal said:
Have you ever come across a person who prides themselves
The OP isn't bothered that there are people who don't like TV, but that there are people who lord their not watching TV over other people as though it makes them superior.
I am sorry the OP has Lords that rule over him, I would guess he is from England.

I always thought most people make choices on their own, and not because others overpower them in simple conversation. But then again, I am wrong an awful lot of times.

It's the same as when people say eating meat is dumb, smoking is dumb, voting democrat is dumb, driving diesel is dumb, studying other religions is dumb, teaching evolution is dumb, allowing women to vote/drive/work is dumb.....

It is "dumb" to try to tell another that they have an invalid opinion. If you feel you are being lorded over by ones strong opinions on tv, then I would argue that you might be missing out on more important things in life.

I wish these were the problems that drove me into a discussion, then I would be able to sleep more comfortably at night. I guess what I am trying to say is, I don't see why the OP is so wound up about people who don't want you to watch tv.
Except when it can actually be argued that the opinion is invalid, as is the case with assuming superiority over another person over something so petty as television. That's just egotistical. I don't think any of us are getting wound up, just sharing our irritation.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I don't have a TV because I can't afford one, but if my parents offered to buy me one I wouldn't complain, but it is quite pointless as I live in Student accomodation and I have to move flats every year, so I don't want my grandparents lugging a TV from Leeds to Nottingham and vice versa.