Well... Shit.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I was making a film using "The Movies" which I'd been doing for about 6 hours, the film was getting pretty good and pretty advanced. I was just previewing it and then BAM- The electricity went off.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
As far as catastrophic memory loss I think I trump everyone when I say that I lost all of my PS1/2/3 data when my cousin thought it would be a good idea to do a "restore to factory default" on my PS3 while I was at work. I had already sold off all of my 'superfluous' PS1/2 memory cards seeing how I didn't see the point in owning them any more.

I raged, long and hard about it. That was about thirteen years or more of save data that just disappeared.

Konijn

Apr 8, 2010
never really did it as an accident, I'm careful of my hours of investment.
However, today I tried some fable 2 again (it had been a long time) only to find out that all my save games were corrupted!!! The state of denial I was in at first was just hilarious, I tried over 10 times to load my save games in the hope I could fix them by: removing the dvd and reinserting it, turning xbox off, installing the game on my xbox etc.
After a while I had to accept that over 50 to 60 hours of work were gone, so I deleted all the files. Since all six slots were taken by corrupted files :'(

Biffy Cakeo

May 24, 2010
WhiteKnightsChronicles and Demons Souls. Just over Soul level 100. With WKC I was pretty much at the end of the single player.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Jovlo said:
Valkyira said:
No-one feels like contributing?
Maybe everyone who tried up till now had a seizure before they could type due to that avatar of yours.
Seriously, I can't look at it for long, but never mind.
This, that's a seriously irritating avatar dude, I never read your posts if they've over one sentence long cause I just can't stand looking at it.

OT: Back in the ol' days when our PC's weren't as awesome as you damn young kids have 'em today!.. getting a freeze in something like Commandos generally meant losing that save game (and iirc there were only 8 or so)

The positively worst case I had was in Neverwinter Nights, not sure what part. It was the same thing, corrupted save file, but to make the matters much, much worse, I had gone through the majority of the game using nothing but quicksave. So yes, that was actually my one and only save of a game I played quite a bit and it was just flushed down the toilet.

Ever since, I've had the habbit of using the (non quick)save feature every 5-10 minutes in a game that has it. Speaking of which, one awesome thing about Sniper: Ghost Warrior is the game's save system, it keeps track of 8 or so latest QuickSaves and AutoSaves (on different files) and 8 normal saves, automatically offering you to save across the "next" file (and able to go in a circle, ie if your last save was Save8, your next offered one will be Save1). It's so simple yet absolutely perfect and I'd love to see it in more (hell in almost all) games, perhaps with an option of making a special "side" save file, if you ever want to revisit that moment or start from there.

It also had the best alt-tab system, one that basically just let you alt tab it like any other window. I've only seen that used in one other game as an option and that was WoW... I don't understand why more developers don't go for it cause it's extremely handy when you want to check if someone Skyped/MSNd/emailed you or just check something on the net. Then again, I remember some WoW people complaining it apparently decreased their FPS rate so I'm guessing it has to do with that, though I'd still love seeing it as an option in more games...

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
While creating a PSN account, I accidentally deleted my profile along with all of my saves from the past 2 years and my trophies

:(

IcyEvils

Sep 9, 2009
Sovvolf said:
I was making a film using "The Movies" which I'd been doing for about 6 hours, the film was getting pretty good and pretty advanced. I was just previewing it and then BAM- The electricity went off.
I was roughly 10 hours into Dragon Age, and hadn't saved in aaaaages because no really important things had happened for the autosave to kick in. Plumber comes round to check the electric shower, sees there's a blown fuse in our circuit board, and promptly turns of the electricity. I sat in shock for roughly 10 minutes, then screamed. The first time I had ever shown as much anger towards something because of a videogame, and kept it for 5 minutes. The plumber had the balls to ask if something was wrong. I sweetly replied; "No, just give me some warning next time before you ruin something else. Thanks!". I was back with Morrigan and her Mother. Bastard.

reggaerae

Jun 24, 2010
Zaik said:
Not exactly the same, but i just recently bought a used memory card for my new(old?) PS2, and i got to destroy something like 1400 hours of someone else's life.
How did it feel to be god?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
IcyEvils said:
Sovvolf said:
I was roughly 10 hours into Dragon Age, and hadn't saved in aaaaages because no really important things had happened for the autosave to kick in. Plumber comes round to check the electric shower, sees there's a blown fuse in our circuit board, and promptly turns of the electricity. I sat in shock for roughly 10 minutes, then screamed. The first time I had ever shown as much anger towards something because of a videogame, and kept it for 5 minutes. The plumber had the balls to ask if something was wrong. I sweetly replied; "No, just give me some warning next time before you ruin something else. Thanks!". I was back with Morrigan and her Mother. Bastard.
Fuck I know that feeling, I had a bit of a fit at an asshole electrician that came to fix another apartment's problems and shut the power of the whole building down for it without informing anyone. I wasn't in the middle of anything big/important, but your PC losing power suddenly can easily screw it up, one of my HDDs died that way (and these days they store a lot of stuff). Not to mention, if I was in a situation like you or worse yet writing up something for uni and lost it... >.<

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Valkyira said:
I JUST accidentally overwrote my 98% save file on Red Dead Redemption and as you can imagine, I'm a little pissed off at this.

How many of you have done something like this recently? I know a lot of people overwrite save files accidentally, but what was your biggest loss?

My apologies if this has been done before.
That's a funny thing, actually. My XBox just died and after getting a new one it won't let me recover my account, so everything I've ever done is gone and I have to pull more money out of my ass for another gold membership.

Right after my computer died and I lost everything on it with no backups, and now I have to use the Wii for internetting (which can't play videos).

Be glad it was just one save file...

theshadavid

Nerrrrrrrd
Aug 10, 2009
I once lost 20 hours of Twilight Princess, I didn't try again until 3 years later, I just beat it today.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
FargoDog said:
I accidentally deleted my 39 hour save file on FFXIII. That pissed me off an unbelievable amount.
Were you able to play it again after that? I'd imagine that would be one of the worst games to have that happen on. (Granted I didn't find it fun to begin with, but my friend told me it only really gets good 20 hours in and with you having already played it all anyway, hmmm)

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I've always been extra careful since I overwrote a savefile on FF8 with Norg beaten and the GF Leviathan. It's trivial to me now but I sucked at it then and that took me ages to get to.

Slightly related. A few years ago I found my old pokémon red and gbc so I decided to fire it up and see what team I used to use. I'd gotten 151 on that with a legitimately acquired Mew and was a bit disappointed to see that the battery had gone dry.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
When I formated my PC i forgot to backup a hidden pictures folder that contained... err explicit nature material.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
teqrevisited said:
I've always been extra careful since I overwrote a savefile on FF8 with Norg beaten and the GF Leviathan. It's trivial to me now but I sucked at it then and that took me ages to get to.

Slightly related. A few years ago I found my old pokémon red and gbc so I decided to fire it up and see what team I used to use. I'd gotten 151 on that with a legitimately acquired Mew and was a bit disappointed to see that the battery had gone dry.
I was really disappointed when I went over to play FF8 again just how easy it was. It still holds my heart above all others however.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Well one day I was playing Oblivion on my stealth character, and I entered a dungeon and there was a coffin in there and inside was the most bad ass spell a stealth character could have, called The Touch of Death, it instantly killed an enemy except for certain characters like zombies I think was one of them, anyway, so I had my 85% invisibility and was running around using my new spell like crazy, and at this time I triggered a trap of falling rocks... and of course I forgot to fucking save it... so I died and didn't have my spell! =(

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
Fallout 3 decided to delete all my saves once
that was really early after the release, but i had gotten quite far, so i was still annoyed
hasnt happened again thankfully