Brisbane
Parlour may have stopped a hashtag being used
(Sorry for using reddit, they’re still the only ones talking about it’s

Twitter has not stopped people using the hashtag

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
One comment in that thread says that the person just swapped an 'i' for an 'L'. Another shows a screenshot of the tag showing up in searches with only "writeint"

Reactions: tstorm823

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
One comment in that thread says that the person just swapped an 'i' for an 'L'. Another shows a screenshot of the tag showing up in searches with only "writeint"
I said maybe. This is still probably too early to be definitive

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"What happened to the 1st Amendment?"

It's right over there on the Bill of Rights, stopping the government from passing laws restricting free speech, like it's always been doing. It's never had anything to do with a private company determining what can be said or done on its own property.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Abandonment is a stepping stone to personal development, I suppose. Embrace it. Embrace that no-one truly ever cares. Let go of all that burdensome pride. It is liberating. Like running around the house naked, screaming the lyrics of hotel california by the eagles just before you accidentally step on a protruding nail and fall into a shelf of power tools causing your untimely, gory death. It's true freedom!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kwak

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Twitter hasn't stopped the tag just stopped it ever being able to trend lol.

But just for those curious I checked on Parler
600 or so.png

600+ messages using the hashtag

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA

Well, based on other replies maybe the fact it was only on Reddit may have served as a clue as to its veracity

Edit: also, writing in Trump for GA is likely the only way Ossoff wins so I am betting on this being a Democrat op

Last edited:

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's right over there on the Bill of Rights, stopping the government from passing laws restricting free speech, like it's always been doing. It's never had anything to do with a private company determining what can be said or done on its own property.
So you don't believe it was censorship when...oh say, fundies descended on Hollywood in the '20s and '30s and forced them to adopt the Hays Code, lest they go to Capitol Hill and cry?

Or, when the Red Scare was exploited by certain right-wingers in Hollywood (not least one of particular note, who would go on to be a President of the United States) to discriminate against LGBTQ actors and actresses?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
So you don't believe it was censorship when...oh say, fundies descended on Hollywood in the '20s and '30s and forced them to adopt the Hays Code, lest they go to Capitol Hill and cry?

Or, when the Red Scare was exploited by certain right-wingers in Hollywood (not least one of particular note, who would go on to be a President of the United States) to discriminate against LGBTQ actors and actresses?
It's like certain people want to be told what to think by mega-corporations...

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

When you realize that 1920 homosexual life was similar to 2020, you realize how bad those codes were

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

See this is where I can point to another reply here and say I don't agree, I don't think that the Hay's Code should have come in but based on arguments from one side

"What happened to the 1st Amendment?"

The Hay's code therefore didn't violate 1A protections as it was devised by the industry itself, implemented by the industry itself and operated by the industry itself because the spectre of government censorship was being thrown about. Would the government have censored the film industry? Who knows maybe but the film industry chose to censor itself. Therefore using arguments presented by others it was private companies choosing to determine among themselves what was allowed.

Welcome to why freedom of expression should apply to private companies too because if they all choose something and enforce it crushing anyone not obeying the rules they make up can be crushed one way or another and the being very clearly censorship.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Welcome to why freedom of expression should apply to private companies too because if they all choose something and enforce it crushing anyone not obeying the rules they make up can be crushed one way or another and the being very clearly censorship.
You’d have to find some way to force companies to publish everything to counteract this

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You’d have to find some way to force companies to publish everything to counteract this
No just ensure the marketplace has a range of publishers an make it so they can't work together to suppress freedom of expression.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I agree with this.

This is also not what you said
Well it was only by working together they achieved suppression before.

Also you're right it's not what I said as I was quoting The Rogue Wolf's post about private companies lol