well, the the escapist was just attacked.

giles

Feb 1, 2009
Well, I kinda figured it was DDOS when the site wouldn't load, but when it actually loaded I had several thousand private messages. Seems they were abusing these somehow.

Worst thing is this will only spawn more Gamergate threads and I was already bored of that after reading the OP in the first one that popped up here :/

Mouser_House

Sep 17, 2014
giles said:
Well, I kinda figured it was DDOS when the site wouldn't load, but when it actually loaded I had several thousand private messages. Seems they were abusing these somehow.

Worst thing is this will only spawn more Gamergate threads and I was already bored of that after reading the OP in the first one that popped up here :/
It's better if everything is contained in a small number of threads.

I think the pm message thing was just a glitch. Numbers bouncing around, avatars disappearing. Still, we might want to change our passwords. Just in case.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dholland662 said:
Barbas said:
erttheking said:
Witty Name Here said:
BobDobolina said:
Witty Name Here said:
To anyone curious.
It goes even deeper. The "hardware failure" explanation was planted on the Escapist's twitter by the Illuminati. They've been behind the SJW agenda all along. The Shriners and the Reptoids from Zeta Reticuli are in on it too. No one is safe.
Archon confirmed that it's a DDoS attack. It's specifically going after the Gamergate thread.

You have no leg to stand on.

The simple fact of the matter is the world sees the Anti-GG types for what they are now. This hacking is because they disrespect the basic tenants of free speech. They hate, loathe, the loss of their control. They're desperate to silence the opposition and will use any means necessary to do so.

This is what the SJW side is truly like. This is what those who look at all the evidence and are still Anti-GG support.

Doxxing, Hacking, DDoS, these are the tools those who are against Gamergate. They can't win with logic. They can't win with the press. They're now trying (and failing) to win with borderline illegal methods and threatening those who support Gamergate into silence.
Yes, what happened here was pretty damn despicable. I'm still staying neutral in this whole mess though. Still way too much garbage going on on both sides. (Also, I have to say, are we certain that this was an anti-GG move? We sure it wasn't just someone trying to piss people off?)
I side with Jim, who sides with Ganondorf (Peace be upon Him) - The person who hacked represents only the person who hacked. We cannot currently say more.
Not speaking directly to you but... "Anita gets harassed by a guy: all gamers are harassers and there are no valid criticisms of her!"
"SJWs are shown to collude, construct a common narrative, and have started censoring sites like SomethingAwful, 4chan and the Escapist: nothing to see here. Move along."
First of all, no one said that, so your argument kind of falls apart in the first sentence.

Second of all, do we even know who did this yet.

Third. Can we please drop SJW? It's like the new white knight, a derogatory term created to insult people that disagree with you.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Mouser_House said:
I'm pro-GG and I think this kind of desperate attempt to silence the discussion at this point in time is too crazy to be true. I'm just kind of dumbfounded. I was just about to enter some of the "neutral grounds" threads and see how much our image still sucks.

It might be someone having a laugh, or trying to get revenge for something.

However, we also know that pro-GG are getting doxxed on twitter and receiving threats. The guy who started Notyourshield got fired because someone called his boss, supposedly with doxxed info.

TFYC got attacked by a hacking attempt. For the second time.

There are also rumors going around that moot wants to sell 4chan and that he's going to rule with an iron fist from now on.

There's a lot of paranoia going around on both sides it seems. Things are getting out of hand. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go fold a tinfoil hat.
The discussion, at least for journalistic ethics, almost seemed to be going somewhere from my point of view. The Quinnspiracy element almost seems gone now, Anita isn't brought up too much, and the feminism/social justice/messages/whatever you want to call it in gaming seemed like it was an entirely different thing all together, though I still see people bring it up too damn much. I don't know, the monster thread in off topic all but died and although the other one seems heavily used, I still was getting the impression normalcy and some positive changes were on the horizon. This seems similar to someone throwing gas on a fire that was about to die and wondering whether or not they were stupid enough to think it would go out or jerk enough to want to see it burn longer.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
So can someone tell me what it was exactly? Have I had all my info taken or what? I had my facebook, steam and something else linked on my profile, does this mean it's all taken and I have to redo it all? Or was it just a simple DDOS? Since there's mixed answers on this thread.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Padwolf said:
So can someone tell me what it was exactly? Have I had all my info taken or what? I had my facebook, steam and something else linked on my profile, does this mean it's all taken and I have to redo it all? Or was it just a simple DDOS? Since there's mixed answers on this thread.
No one knows. All people know is that the Gamergate thread was the one most attacked. People right now are jumping to conclusions to fit their agendas. I'd give it a day or two before having any meaningful answers. Chances are anything discovered today will be just speculation backed by paranoia.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
So, what did everybody do while the site was down.

I pressed F4.
...LIAR! It does NOTHING! D:

Dholland662 said:
Barbas said:
erttheking said:
Witty Name Here said:
BobDobolina said:
Witty Name Here said:
To anyone curious.
It goes even deeper. The "hardware failure" explanation was planted on the Escapist's twitter by the Illuminati. They've been behind the SJW agenda all along. The Shriners and the Reptoids from Zeta Reticuli are in on it too. No one is safe.
Archon confirmed that it's a DDoS attack. It's specifically going after the Gamergate thread.

The simple fact of the matter is the world sees the Anti-GG types for what they are now. This hacking is because they disrespect the basic tenants of free speech. They hate, loathe, the loss of their control. They're desperate to silence the opposition and will use any means necessary to do so.

This is what the SJW side is truly like. This is what those who look at all the evidence and are still Anti-GG support.

Doxxing, Hacking, DDoS, these are the tools those who are against Gamergate. They can't win with logic. They can't win with the press. They're now trying (and failing) to win with borderline illegal methods and threatening those who support Gamergate into silence.
Yes, what happened here was pretty damn despicable. I'm still staying neutral in this whole mess though. Still way too much garbage going on on both sides. (Also, I have to say, are we certain that this was an anti-GG move? We sure it wasn't just someone trying to piss people off?)
I side with Jim, who sides with Ganondorf (Peace be upon Him) - The person who hacked represents only the person who hacked. We cannot currently say more.
Not speaking directly to you but... "Anita gets harassed by a guy: all gamers are harassers and there are no valid criticisms of her!"
"SJWs are shown to collude, construct a common narrative, and have started censoring sites like SomethingAwful, 4chan and the Escapist: nothing to see here. Move along."
...But you are speaking directly to me...you just quoted me. :/

This is the reason I've stayed out of this - you've already reached your own conclusion about who did this, but we don't know. This issue has been so protracted, so wearying and so painful for everyone involved because people have forgotten the basics of respectful communication, of honest discussion and investigation. This is not a matter of sides and battle lines. The only duty you should have is to the truth. If you begin with a conclusion and try to find facts to fit around it, you can easily be led and provoked. So many people could have DDoS'd this site. Someone who doesn't care about the issue could have decided to do it merely for fun.

Padwolf said:
Archon said the site was DDoS'd on Twitter. The GG mega-thread was getting thousands of page refresh requests per second and the servers crashed. The Tech Team appear to have stabilized it, but change your password (Profile > Update Account Information).

EDIT: The people who posted anything in that thread should probably change their passwords, because something tells me whoever decided to attack the site just swung with wild, indiscriminate abandon in there.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
So, what did everybody do while the site was down.
I swung by YouTube and watched some of Jim's newest Squirty Play videos. The most recent game he played has SO many music copyright violations that I decided to document all the ones I could since Jim kept saying "who knows WHAT song they're ripping off here." It should surprise no-one that this game is by the makers of Air Control. Oh, boy!

After figuring out as many songs as I could, I posted them to the video's comments:

Menu music - "Song From A Secret Garden" by Secret Garden
Multiple times - Nightmare on Elm Street theme
9:42 - Bach's "Invention No. 8 in F Major" performed by Glenn Gould
13:06 - "Moon Light" by Deep Forest
13:21 - "Miles Away" by Ryan Farish

(Those are frequently repeated and there were three that Google couldn't find.)

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Barbas said:
Snippidy!
Archon said the site was DDoS'd on Twitter. The GG mega-thread was getting thousands of page refresh requests per second and the servers crashed. The Tech Team appear to ahve stabilized it, but change your password (Profile > Update Account Information).
xaszatm said:
No one knows. All people know is that the Gamergate thread was the one most attacked. People right now are jumping to conclusions to fit their agendas. I'd give it a day or two before having any meaningful answers. Chances are anything discovered today will be just speculation backed by paranoia.
Cheers guys for answering :) I'll change my password now and get that sorted. Thanks for answering and clearing that up for me!

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Barbas said:
erttheking said:
Witty Name Here said:
BobDobolina said:
Witty Name Here said:
To anyone curious.

when its one guy in the gamergate crowd, its the gamergate crowd's fault

when its one guy in the anti-gamer gate crowd, its the fault of that guy in the anti-gamer gate crowd

i wonder if jim will address this... no im sure he wont

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Redlin5 said:
All I can say is I'm glad we have Kross. The hamsters won't listen to anyone else.
Is he...human? He's like a Ringwraith. I'm glad he's on our side... >.>

[small][sub]oh Jesus, I hope he's on our side... o.o[/sub][/small]

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
WhiteNachos said:
Witty Name Here said:
This is the same logic used to dismiss GG as misogynists.
true, but we can atleast agree both sides have their shitstains, and arguing GG supporters are misogynists is no better than arguing people who oppose GG are abusing hackers

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
*eye roll*

So, they wanted to stop the discussion .... by bringing down the forums? All of them? Cause I can't get tot he RP (Role Play) section.

*slow clap*

Way to go, now EVERYONE on the site will be pissed at these guys. Especially the people like me that have been staying the fuck out of it.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
That was a fun day that I couldn't post. I was really looking forward to the accusations of how it's X camp's fault. I remember last time how we pissed off some hackers and the site got taken down.

In honesty, I'm just happy that I can post again.

EDIT:

Well, if we're going to blame X party for this, can we make it a game on how much silly this can get?

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Witty Name Here said:
Rather ironic that Gamergate tries to shout down the harassment, discourages actions like this, and yet there are still Anti-GG folks talking about an alleged "image problem" and saying blatantly obvious things like "YOU ALL SHOULDN'T SUPPORT HARASSMENT" (we don't)

Yet as soon as hacks against GG are thrown in their face it becomes "THAT'S ONLY REPRESENTATIVE OF ONE DOUCHEBAG! I'M SERIOUS GUYS!"

Regardless, at least the forums are back up and, hopefully, the dick behind this is caught.
So you know, for a 100% fact, that "anti-GG" was behind this? What is your evidence? If it's that the GG thread was the primary attack point, then sorry, that doesn't say anything at all about WHO did this. It doesn't even remotely explain why they did it. Placing blame at this point is nothing but counterproductive conjecture.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
Barbas said:
erttheking said:
Witty Name Here said:
BobDobolina said:
Witty Name Here said:
To anyone curious.

when its one guy in the gamergate crowd, its the gamergate crowd's fault

when its one guy in the anti-gamer gate crowd, its the fault of that guy in the anti-gamer gate crowd

i wonder if jim will address this... no im sure he wont
Maybe because how insane the pro-gamer side reacted to the news. Immediately denying it (fine) then saying the other person did it to themselves (not fine) and that during that point in time, the pro-gamergate "side" still had loads of real misogynist baggage to deal with. So far, people are saying it most definitely could be some idiot on the anti-gamergate "side". The fan reaction really is telling.

Witty Name Here said:
Rather ironic that Gamergate tries to shout down the harassment, discourages actions like this, and yet there are still Anti-GG folks talking about an alleged "image problem" and saying blatantly obvious things like "YOU ALL SHOULDN'T SUPPORT HARASSMENT" (we don't)

Yet as soon as hacks against GG are thrown in their face it becomes "THAT'S ONLY REPRESENTATIVE OF ONE DOUCHEBAG! I'M SERIOUS GUYS!"

Regardless, at least the forums are back up and, hopefully, the dick behind this is caught.
Rather ironic that you still are on an accusatory high.