Welp ProJared's career on the internet is now forever destroyed.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I won?t call it dead until he releases new content and we see how well it does. He?s lost nearly 200,000 subscribers and will likely never get any sort of professional collaboration or sponsorships again but if his YouTube and Twitch views hold up he could still be okay, as he still has over 800,000 YouTube subs. He will never recover from this though, and since he hasn?t released a video on his main channel for 4 months if he keeps going it won?t be nearly as profitable for him as it used to. And good riddance

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Fappy said:
Page 1 of this thread kinda missed the mark as these past few days unfolded. I really don't see this blowing over at this rate. His career is pretty much dead and buried.
Its always hard to tell because the internet is pretty weird about this. You would think channel awesome would be spiked forever, but the reality is they're basically surviving - they may not be thriving but according to this subcount shit I just looked up, they're better than they were prior to the latest thing.

Honestly I think it depends on who the youtubers actual audience is, and whether they even interact with the portion of the internet that's flipping out, and it can be super hard to line those up. Its pretty easy to think that since something is a big deal to you, or hits on a name brand issue, others must automatically care, but even ten years is enough to completely change a persons perceptions and ranking of important issues.

The worst example of that I ever saw was the nymag writing on pewdiepie and decrying that his audience weren't leaving him in spite of the many articles it and other traditional media organizations had written about how not cool he was. All I could think about is the fact that the demo of nymag is 18-59, centered on 30 with most of their writers around there. What 12 year old gives a fuck what a 30 year old thinks, and how did a 30 year old managed to delude himself into believing he was going to be able to sway the middle school demo.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
CaitSeith said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Yeah his Sonic Adventure 2 review was his far older content. And he was very ameture back then. I personally think he started getting better by his review of Super Mario 64.

In my case he's fun to listen to as background.
In one of his earlier videos he did say he wasn't quite sure if he really knew what his style was just yet. It was right around when his videos started using his latest and previous intro song where he started adding more humour to his videos, maybe even a little before that. With the right game he's a bit more interesting than the slog that was Hey You Pikachu. I like him a lot for his voice, no over-dramatic BS stuff like other YouTubers have, and he's just, as you said, down to earth. His reviews are sorta uninteresting in comparison to other's if you go by pure entertainment value, but I think that's what I like about his stuff. He doesn't have some "gimmick" to try and stand out. He just does, in my opinion, simple but quality work that you can tell he's proud of.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I agree his voice is great for background stuff. Very easy to settle into a chill game with his content, like maybe Breath of the Wild or Stardew Valley

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Shame. I never watched him regularly and wasn't a subscriber. But I watched and enjoyed his playthrough of Illusion of Time/Gaia as it was one of my favourite games as a kid. Shame he turned out to be a rubbish person.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Comic Sans said:
He's lost nearly 200,000 subscribers and will likely never get any sort of professional collaboration or sponsorships again but if his YouTube and Twitch views hold up he could still be okay, as he still has over 800,000 YouTube subs.
Hmmm, 20% of his followers. Coincidentally the same percentage that another internet personality lost recently. Though James Charles (some beauty vlogger) lost 3 million of his 15 mil total, so his loss is greater in absolute numbers. Makes me wonder if there's a trend. Internet personality is revealed to be a shitty person? 20% loss in followers, or whatever the average percentage actually is.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chimpzy said:
Comic Sans said:
He's lost nearly 200,000 subscribers and will likely never get any sort of professional collaboration or sponsorships again but if his YouTube and Twitch views hold up he could still be okay, as he still has over 800,000 YouTube subs.
Hmmm, 20% of his followers. Coincidentally the same percentage that another internet personality lost recently. Though James Charles (some beauty vlogger) lost 3 million of his 15 mil total, so his loss is greater in absolute numbers. Makes me wonder if there's a trend. Internet personality is revealed to be a shitty person? 20% loss in followers, or whatever the average percentage actually is.
For the James Charles guy, never heard of him, but it sounds like that barely made a dent in his profits. Meaning, he still makes a lot of money off his content. For me, people like that won't get real loss unless they're channel is taken down or they did something illegal. But ever since the incident with Logan Paul (who only pretends to learn humility and still doing the same shit), but shows the big wigs that own that site won't do a damn thing, because these content creators provide too much money. Seriously, fuck google and YouTube.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
CoCage said:
Chimpzy said:
For the James Charles guy, never heard of him, but it sounds like that barely made a dent in his profits. Meaning, he still makes a lot of money off his content. For me, people like that won't get real loss unless they're channel is taken down or they did something illegal. But ever since the incident with Logan Paul (who only pretends to learn humility and still doing the same shit), but shows the big wigs that own that site won't do a damn thing, because these content creators provide too much money. Seriously, fuck google and YouTube.
Probably not. You often see people say that being successful and rich does not give someone license to be a dick, but for all intents and purposes, it does. I have little doubt that James Charles dude will land on his feet, what with being rich and enough of a big deal to attend the MET Gala and all.

To be honest, I really only mentioned him to have an excuse to post his picture.
I know it has no bearing on anything, but look at that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure character!

EvilRoy

Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Chimpzy said:
CoCage said:
Chimpzy said:
Probably not. You often see people say that being successful and rich does not give someone license to be a dick, but for all intents and purposes, it does. I have little doubt that James Charles dude will land on his feet, what with being rich and enough of a big deal to attend the MET Gala and all.

To be honest, I really only mentioned him to have an excuse to post his picture.
I know it has no bearing on anything, but look at that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure character!
The way the boots sit on the monocolour floor and the angle the pants make with them gives me a super unpleasant feeling that she's actually leaning back at like 30 degrees, and when she straightens she'll be 8 feet tall with super stretched propotions.

How... Do.... YOU... LIKEMENOOOOOOWWW

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
EvilRoy said:
The way the boots sit on the monocolour floor and the angle the pants make with them gives me a super unpleasant feeling that she's actually leaning back at like 30 degrees, and when she straightens she'll be 8 feet tall with super stretched propotions.

She? That's a dude.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Jarrito3001 said:
This saddens me I was big fan of ProJared and this situation is all kinds of fucked up. Though as for a career ender probably but I will perturbed cause many have done worse. I mean ChannelAwesome is till running,JonTron is still making videos and Pewdiepie can suck a childs innards live and Logan Paul is still making money. So I will give the side eye if cheating on your marriage which is bad no doubt is something that going to kill a career.
What

I don't get this kind of thing

And by this kind of thing I mean this bizarre comparison thing

And I say bizarre because... Why do you side eye them if this ends his career? If you think they should be angrier at the other people why aren't you side eyeing them already?

Like can't you individually decide if each thing is worthy of people dropping them, why is it some kind of comparison?

EvilRoy

Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Chimpzy said:
EvilRoy said:

She? That's a dude.
... Huh. At first I was kinda going that way with the shirt but then I was like "nah, even if its one malfunction away from a misdemeanor offense lady gaga has worn so much weirder".

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Kwak said:
People still actually get married? Why?
I'm engaged and I'm still not sure I've entirely figured that one out. =p

Actually waiting for her wedding band to be shipped right now (it's made by the same folks as her engagement ring and designed to stack neatly with it, got them both on sale). The engagement ring is a center sapphire with some diamond chips to the sides and the wedding band has little alternating diamonds and sapphires in it. Both in white gold. We want to get a white gold band with a small sapphire set in it for me (so that the rings look like they belong together), but that kind of thing is much harder to find in men's bands.

Armadox said:
We got married in order to get her on the dental insurance I had from work. We never did get her name changed, so me and the daughter have my last name, but my wife doesn't.
We're speeding up our time frame because she's changing jobs and her new job has couples insurance that is much cheaper for better coverage than what either of us has now. To the point that the difference in insurance cost almost covers the drop in pay by itself. For a job that she's much better suited to.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Chimpzy said:
EvilRoy said:

She? That's a dude.
Really? Huh. Uh, there's your reboot Gozer people.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Comic Sans said:
I won?t call it dead until he releases new content and we see how well it does. He?s lost nearly 200,000 subscribers and will likely never get any sort of professional collaboration or sponsorships again but if his YouTube and Twitch views hold up he could still be okay, as he still has over 800,000 YouTube subs.
Subs may be misleading: inevitably a lot of them will be "dormant" - moved on, either from that channel without bothering to unsubscribe, or even from YouTube more generally. Most YouTubers I view regularly have several times as many subscribers as they do watches on the average video.

If we were to make an assumption that 2/3rds of a channel's subscribers are minimally or not engaged, then losing a fifth of subscribers is extremely bad news, as it would actually suggest over half the most active audience has departed. That'll causes a massive loss of presence. It may also be very hard to build momentum back up: 15 minutes of fame and all that means that people are easily replaceable once their fans have moved on.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Schadrach said:
We want to get a white gold band with a small sapphire set in it for me (so that the rings look like they belong together), but that kind of thing is much harder to find in men's bands.
You can find a jewellery designer and tell them what you want: the two (three) of you can thrash out a design. We went to a local indy jeweller for this: it's our general idea of what we wanted, but with the jeweller's characteristic style. Not costly either: she sourced second hand gems and the design charge was trivial (<5%) compared to the materials & labour cost.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I expect he has a lot of court proceedings and legal issues getting in the way of his Youtube career right now.

Also its all very gross. Never was a fan (saw him in some collaborations but never followed over to his channel) but I empathize with fans who were blindsided.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Just out of curiosity, there IS evidence he did these horrible things, right? And we're not all just jumping to conclusions?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Kwak said:
People still actually get married? Why?
It still carries a certain amount of legal weight (e.g. if you die without a will, your unmarried partner isn't necessarily your next of kin; if you're married they are by default).

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
CrazyGirl17 said:
Just out of curiosity, there IS evidence he did these horrible things, right? And we're not all just jumping to conclusions?
From what I heard, they were having a "polyamorous" relationship which the wife called off part way through but he disputes that and there's the he said she said thing regarding this, though both agree that at a time they both cheated on eachother before the debated calling off of polyamory by the wife.

Though the part about the tumblr nudes sounds legit yeah. (have not looked into this myself, seeing a dude in sailor mercury cosplay is not exactly my thing XD)