Were the Ultramarines the right choice for the main chapter of space marines in W40K space marine?

May 28, 2009
duhaoran said:
The Ultramarine's are probably the best choice because they are a kind of "default" chapter and so allow people new to the franchise to get into it without delving into the mountians of backstory that other chapters have e.g. the blood angels and their blood lust, or focusing too much on one aspect like close combat or heavy weapons.
Personally I would like to see the Dark Angels in it and maybe a hunt for the fallen type scenario.
Yep beat me to it. Though it was surprising seeing as the Blood Ravens were made by Relic to use in games.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Well they are one of the very few chapters that wouldn't gun down the imperial guardsmen they see because they didn't have anything to gun down at the time. Yea, most Space marines are massive jerks. They could have used the Salamanders for that, but that would possibly restrict your weapons loadout to incindiary weapons, and maybe the bolter. Ultramarines are also the marios of 40k, so there's really no weapons story wise you could be restricted from using.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Rawne1980 said:
I've said it many .... many .... times before.

It should have been Grey Knights ...... or Space Wolves.
Agree with the Space Wolves, got to love that crazed canine madness that pervades them.

duhaoran said:
Grey Knights would be awesome in multiplayer with squad based powers.
However, I don't think Grey Knights would ever really be that good an idea, simply because of psyker/anti-psyker/Nemesis force weapon default status would make it a broken game. Also, their weapon load out is completely different in mechanism and gameplay. I can't really see it working except in single-player.

OT: Gee, lemme guess OP, you wanted to see Dark Angels, hmm?!

Anyway, the Ultramarines are 'safe' as far as non-tabletoppers are concerned, and even a lot of them quite like the smurfs (I just... nothing them). Plus, considering their relative influence across the galaxy with respect to all the other chapters (Black Templars being the only possible exception) makes a story very easy to canonise (not that I think that'd ever be a problem, to be fair). Besides, skin customisation without mechanistic changes makes most sense with the Ultramarines, seeing as how they contributed gene-seed to two thirds of the subsequent foundings. And most of the original chapters aren't that different.

The only ones being:
Blood Angels - jump pack heavy/Death Company
Dark Angels/White Scars - bike heavy
Iron Hands - vehicles and techmarines
Dark Angels - mixed terminators
Black Templars/Space Wolves - only ones with decidedly different structures

(And successor chapters, but no-one except die-hard 40Kers can name that many of them.)
So, the smurfs are a safe bet 'cos pretty much everyone's heard of them.

EDIT:

Robert Ewing said:
Space marines are the same, they are the 40k incarnation of the US army. You know it's true.
More USMC than US Army... but the point still stands, I guess...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Ultramarines are never the right choice. They are the Vanilla of the Space Marine chapters. The boring, by-the-book(-because-we-wrote-the-book) piles of bland. Pretty much ANY other chapter is more interesting. But since they are so dull, they are also the "default", which just sucks. The fact that their color scheme screams Space Smurf doesn't help matters either...

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Choosing the space marines to be the main force in a 40k game is like choosing the US army to be the main force in a war game.

It's so overdone, the obvious choice, and the laziest choice. Why can't I play as someone else other than the utterly patriotic and heroic American's bravely going forward even though there are 10 foot Jihad symbols digging into their arms, but they press on anyway for the freedom of the planet.

Boring, and not true.

Space marines are the same, they are the 40k incarnation of the US army. You know it's true.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I don't mind the Ultrasmurfs. They're the most recognizable chapter for those not familiar with the franchise (definitely a demographic they're aiming for in this case) and the codex they follow allows for just about any type of playstyle. Besides, you'll be able to create just about any color scheme you want to represent your favorite chapter in multiplayer.

If you really can't get past the Ultramarines, then may I suggest the PC version:

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?262044-Space-Marine-Custom-Titus-Skins-Armour-of-Angelos

I just wish Matt Ward would stop treating them like a bunch of space messiahs.

SergeantAnt

Feb 27, 2011
i know nothing about the 40k universe but i tried out the demo of space marine and LOVED it.

the combat was very fluid and made you feel badass. also the multiplayer sounds really good :)

Thomiroth

Mar 17, 2011
Well, given that the Ultramarines are pretty much the quintessential Space Marines, I'd say it's the obvious and recommended choice for getting people who know very little about the WH40K universe immersed in the game. I may not like the Ultramarines, or Space Marines in general, or indeed 40K (anymore,long story involving many, many rules lawyers...) but I can still see why they made the choice to have them headline the game.

Besides, aside from a couple of quotation styles, Space Marines are pretty much Space Marines.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I guess it's just because the Ultrasmurfs are just sort of your average, everyday space marines without anything screwy going on, and are pretty recognisable when compared to the others.

Relic also couldn't really have used the Blood Ravens for this game due to the sort of messed-up status of the entire chapter following the Dawn of War 2 events. Although smashing people's faces in as interstellar badass Gabriel Angelos with his big-ass hammer would have been incredibly cool.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
No! It's a violation of my right to play as a Son of Russ!

BOYCOTT!!!!!!!

*Cough*

Sorry, I forgot my medication...

SpaceGnome

Apr 23, 2009
should have picked death watch that way they could still be Ultramarines and had access to mad cap weaponry, black and silver armour and have been especially trained to fight orks explaining why they can just butcher there way through an entire mob in one go

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Its the best choice because the ultramarines are vanilla so someone who doesn't understand the backstory and lore of 40K can still get into and enjoy space marine.
Plus I really don't see how they are ''overdone'' video game wise since the relic games have been about the blood ravens for a long time now with only a cameo appearance of a Ultramarine chaplain in winter assault.

Skullpanda

Jun 12, 2009
The Ultramarines work well enough. They're probably being used because non-fans can still recognize them as 40K space marines without having to look into the lore too much.

If they did a sequel however, I think it would be pretty fun to play as the Grey Nights. Or the Orks.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Ultramarines are generic; I suppose that's why they chose them because they are the most 'normal' of the Chapters really, therefore they are the best Chapter to introduce the Space Marines with I guess.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
lion el jhonson said:
I played the demo the gameplay was solid and I found myself wanting to see how the story and characters played out but I just that inkling in the back of my head that one of these characters is going to say or do something stupid. In my opinion I thought the Blood Angels would have been a better choice but what do you think?
MrJKapowey said:
No! It's a violation of my right to play as a Son of Russ!

BOYCOTT!!!!!!!

*Cough*

Sorry, I forgot my medication...
Loop Stricken said:
My thoughts;

1) SPESS MEHREENS!
2) At least it's not the fooking Blood Ravens.
3) Dark Angels would've been better.
4) Goddamn smurfs.
Rawne1980 said:
I've said it many .... many .... times before.

It should have been Grey Knights ...... or Space Wolves.
here's your problem right here
;)
'Lion-o'
every one that knows about 40K enough to be hyped for this, BEFORE there was a demo, already HAS a favorite chapter (Black Templar here) so its kinda 'damned if you do damned if you don't' as far as that goes, and really, after playing the demo i noticed a fun thing, or rather what i didn't notice.

after oh the 2nd or 3rd wave of Orks i kinda forgot he was a Ultramarine, -.- till the silly git opened his mouth an stated it -.- yeah big blue thing, but kinda not what i was paying attention to

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
lion el jhonson said:
I played the demo the gameplay was solid and I found myself wanting to see how the story and characters played out but I just that inkling in the back of my head that one of these characters is going to say or do something stupid. In my opinion I thought the Blood Angels would have been a better choice but what do you think?
Well the Ultramarines represent the most balanced Chapter in the WH40K unverse, and as you will have to do more than just charge up and beatstick things to death (by which I mean every mission except the ones where you angry yo-yo your enemies to death with the jump pack), it stands to reason that they would pick the group most balanced in their fight style.

Besides, Relic Games are trying to add an extra feeling of heroism to the game, and since the Ultramarines are the friggin' poster child for what's good about the Astartes, it's the most logical choice.

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
As everyone's said, the Ultramarines are the easiest to relate to for the players, and for the writers to write for.

Black Templars would come across a absurd zealots, because they are.
Blood Angels would come across as metrosexual italian vampires with huge egos, because they are.
Space Wolves would come across as vikings which are awesome, but their colors are crap and they might just end up as frat boys.
Salamanders would come across as Robin Hood with power armour. Plus, they're black. For whatever reason, very few games do that.
Grey Knights... Do the people advocating that have any idea how much is wrong with that?
Imperial Fists are bright yellow, so would be indistinguishable from the scenery.
Crimson Fists are dark blue, which isn't as bold as ultramarine blue. See above.
Dark angels are anti social even by the standards of astartes because of their secrecy.

Those are the chapters which I can think of off the top of my head, so any others would be even more obscure so less suitable.

Ultramarines are a bright, bold blue to stand out and their cultural counterpart is ancient Greece without the sodomy. Combine that with their adherence to pre-established tactical doctrines and they're the easiest chapter to relate to.