Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd Edition Review - The Wolf Must Hunt

TJ Hafer

New member
May 1, 2015
5
0
0
Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd Edition Review - The Wolf Must Hunt

The Wolf Must Hunt. Welcome back to the World of Darkness' most brutal killers.

Read Full Article
 
Jan 12, 2012
2,114
0
0
Interesting read. I never really got into Werewolf (or WW in general, really), but now I want to go dig up my copies of the original books to read the tribal fluff. It's good to know that they did a better job with making the Hunt central (one of my favourite horror books, The Last Werewolf does an excellent job with giving you a feeling of that predator mindset), but the extra rules kind of bum me out.

I'm looking to start a Scion game soon, and I've been savouring the little bits of Scion 2e news that have come out of Onyx Path. That said, Scion is already complicated enough; if Onyx Path is just going to bolt more stuff onto it instead of streamlining, it's just going to be a mess.
 

Tono Makt

New member
Mar 24, 2012
537
0
0
Ah... White Wolf. Spent a good decade of my life playing online White Wolf games instead of WoW or EQ - and man, was it fun.

Haven't played in years, but good to see that their properties still exist even after White Wolf folded. Not entirely happy to hear that it's still a bloated mess of rules that make it really easy for rules lawyers to derail stories, but in all honesty, that's just part of playing a White Wolf (now Onyx Path) game, I suppose.

(long time Mage: The Ascension player and Storyteller, and unashamed champion and lover of the idea of "Paradigm".)
 

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
977
0
0
I have the Ultimate Werewolf edition of the game, play it at Gencon every year. We usually stay up about 10 hours playing it.
 

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
1,678
0
0
I tried making the shift to nWoD a few times, but I find the system's background so sparse compared to oWoD. Conversely, I have a few friends who had never played an oWoD game but had played nWoD tell me that they found oWoD too complicated.

Been eagerly waiting for this version to come out, the 2nd ed of Vampire Requiem was a lot slicker so I had high hopes for this version.
 

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
795
0
0
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Interesting read. I never really got into Werewolf (or WW in general, really), but now I want to go dig up my copies of the original books to read the tribal fluff. It's good to know that they did a better job with making the Hunt central (one of my favourite horror books, The Last Werewolf does an excellent job with giving you a feeling of that predator mindset), but the extra rules kind of bum me out.

I'm looking to start a Scion game soon, and I've been savouring the little bits of Scion 2e news that have come out of Onyx Path. That said, Scion is already complicated enough; if Onyx Path is just going to bolt more stuff onto it instead of streamlining, it's just going to be a mess.
You're right, Scion doesn't need more rules, it needs balancing. Epic dexterity is one of the most broken abilities I've ever seen.

OT: I'm a longtime old WoD fan, and have never tried any new WoD outside of Changling, but this game's focus on the hunt sounds pretty awesome.
 

Deathlyphil

New member
Mar 6, 2008
222
0
0
Fasckira said:
I tried making the shift to nWoD a few times, but I find the system's background so sparse compared to oWoD. Conversely, I have a few friends who had never played an oWoD game but had played nWoD tell me that they found oWoD too complicated.

Been eagerly waiting for this version to come out, the 2nd ed of Vampire Requiem was a lot slicker so I had high hopes for this version.
Having played both systems, the easiest way to break down the difference between OWoD and NWod is this:
OWoD has better settings and backgrounds.
NWOD has a more streamlined system.

The first editions of the NWoD series are great sandboxes, but that meant the ST had to create absolutely everything for their games. Gone were the easy days of "This is a Cam city, and you guys are all Sabbat. Have fun now..."

Instead it was "Right, this is an Invictus town, where the Lancea Sanctum are propping them up, and the Cirle of the Crone people are doing this... And who were the other factions, ok yeah, there doing something over there."

WW was trying very hard to move away from meta. It backfired a little. The new books are definitely getting better.
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
8,577
2,952
118
Deathlyphil said:
Fasckira said:
I tried making the shift to nWoD a few times, but I find the system's background so sparse compared to oWoD. Conversely, I have a few friends who had never played an oWoD game but had played nWoD tell me that they found oWoD too complicated.

Been eagerly waiting for this version to come out, the 2nd ed of Vampire Requiem was a lot slicker so I had high hopes for this version.
Having played both systems, the easiest way to break down the difference between OWoD and NWod is this:
OWoD has better settings and backgrounds.
NWOD has a more streamlined system.

The first editions of the NWoD series are great sandboxes, but that meant the ST had to create absolutely everything for their games. Gone were the easy days of "This is a Cam city, and you guys are all Sabbat. Have fun now..."

Instead it was "Right, this is an Invictus town, where the Lancea Sanctum are propping them up, and the Cirle of the Crone people are doing this... And who were the other factions, ok yeah, there doing something over there."

WW was trying very hard to move away from meta. It backfired a little. The new books are definitely getting better.
Yeah, I definitely like the more coherent system for nWoD, but the overplot for oWoD was personally more enjoyable to me, especially the Werewolf stuff. I've learned to love Forsaken, but it did take some getting used to the more condensed focus of it, and the complete lack of any existing metaplot to draw on for story ideas/hooks.