Werewolves and Zombies Invade Champions Online

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Werewolves and Zombies Invade Champions Online

Fresh off its launch, Champions Online is already looking ahead to its first major content update: the occult-themed Blood Moon update set for release this October.

Between the Blood Moon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94088-BlizzCon-09-WoW-Cataclysm-Worgen-Hands-On].

Not that there aren't zombies in Blood Moon, though. The story here goes that the superpowered world of Champions Online is being threatened by an supreme bad guy right out of the occult: the undead Takofanes. Takofanes, being the Undying Lord he is, has a whole crew of werewolves and zombies that he's bringing along. The zombies, apparently, have overrun Canada, where players will have to battle them in PVP, with the twist being that if you die, you come back as a zombie.

Same goes for the dangers of fighting werewolves. You get bitten, you turn into one. Cryptic doesn't really go into the specific mechanics behind these transformations, but I don't really think they'll last for very long. The werewolves do look pretty neat though, definitely more of the burly, fur-covered linebacker variety compared to the limber and lanky Worgen in WoW.

In addition to all the occult shenanigans going on, Blood Moon will also bring a new "Celestial Powerset" for players to tool around with. This will come in two varities - a healing set (the Seraphim) and an offensive branch (the Nephilim).

So that's what's up for Champions Online's future. What's up for its present? I haven't gotten a chance to dip my toes in its world yet, but for those of you who have, how's the launch going?

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Great. Now everyone's getting into werewolves/Lycanthropes.

I wonder what cliched monster is next.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I think that you missed a point, Armored. The MAIN thing about the event is the zombies horde.

Too bad they STILL don't have the option to pay with Paypal.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Abedeus said:
I think that you missed a point, Armored. The MAIN thing about the event is the zombies horde.

Too bad they STILL don't have the option to pay with Paypal.
Yeah, your right.

But with everyone talking about werewolves now, I afraid they might ruin them.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Crap, zombies taking over Canada? Not good. Time to put the plan in action!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
JRCB said:
Crap, zombies taking over Canada? Not good. Time to put the plan in action!
Ironic, because the zombies have already attacked Canada in CO.

;d

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
So would you say you're Team Jacob, Keane?
No way, Jacob is a punk. And gets completely shafted at the end of the series, IMO. As he deserves.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Wait is this game still coming for the xbox?
Yep, but most likely in 2010. And the players of PC and Xbox won't be able to play on the same server.

Ollie596 said:
Wait it's out?

*looks for free trial*

Edit - Damn it!
Good luck, free trials will be in about 3-4 months at best. A 6-12 months in the worst case.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Abedeus said:
Ollie596 said:
Wait it's out?

*looks for free trial*

Edit - Damn it!
Good luck, free trials will be in about 3-4 months at best. A 6-12 months in the worst case.
See this is what I get for not playing MMO's.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
Great. Now everyone's getting into werewolves/Lycanthropes.

I wonder what cliched monster is next.
The Mummy obviously, lets be ahead of the crowd and start writing fanfic for the next Twilight installment.

PieMaker

Oct 7, 2008
Keane Ng said:
So that's what's up for Champions Online's future. What's up for its present? I haven't gotten a chance to dip my toes in its world yet, but for those of you who have, how's the launch going?
First two days were great, but the servers have been down for quite a while. Something like this is almost to be expected so soon, hopefully it's fixed by tonight.

Aside from that the gameplay is excelent and even though many people say it's almost a city of heroes clone, it's much more than that.

Feb 13, 2008
sylphmortem said:
Aside from that the gameplay is excelent and even though many people say it's almost a city of heroes clone, it's much more than that.
City of Heroes had Werewolves (Fifth ColumnCouncil Warwolves) and Zombies (Dr Vahzilock's creations) from the start though.

I've still to see anything in Champions that couldn't be added to CoH in a free update.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
sylphmortem said:
City of Heroes had Werewolves (Fifth ColumnCouncil Warwolves) and Zombies (Dr Vahzilock's creations) from the start though.

I've still to see anything in Champions that couldn't be added to CoH in a free update.
The game plays very different to CoX. While there are certainly things that are very similar, CO doesn't feel like CoX at all. You can't really tell that from the trailers much though.
The main differences are the combat and the fewer amounts of "door" missions.

dwightsteel

Feb 7, 2007
Keane Ng said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
So would you say you're Team Jacob, Keane?
No way, Jacob is a punk. And gets completely shafted at the end of the series, IMO. As he deserves.
You kidding? Jacob and pack are the redeeming factor in all of those books. While Edward and Bella are busy sparkling and fawning over each other, We have this badass roaming around looking for a good fight. And he didn't get COMPLETELY shafted. He only has to wait a few years for that girl to be fully matured...

dwightsteel

Feb 7, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
sylphmortem said:

Like what? pulling the servers and making everything instances?
Pacing the combat like CO, with energy builders and travel powers that don't drain endurance?
How about changing the the posture and facial expressions of your toon?
Or maybe having the majority of your missions open world instead of thousands of small instances?
Or maybe mixing and matching powers instead of just picking archetype and powerset?

The only thing about this game that is even remotely similar is the character creation process, which IS in fact like CoX...that is if CoX were on steroids.

I assure you, I sat and listened to all the stuff that CoX said they couldn't do because of the way their game was hardwired, and I assure you, the only way CoX could become CO is by rewriting their entire game.

A free update, indeed...very informed.

Feb 13, 2008
Me said:
A free update, indeed...very informed.
Yeah, I'd like to think I am informed. Given the 16 free updates that happened in CoX already.
Like what? pulling the servers and making everything instances?...
Or maybe having the majority of your missions open world instead of thousands of small instances?
Uh, make up your mind. Independence Port to small for you? Perez Park too big?
Pacing the combat like CO, with energy builders and travel powers that don't drain endurance?
So, just removing Enhancement Diversification or removing the drain from travel? Possibly fifteen lines of code.
How about changing the the posture and facial expressions of your toon?
Issue #6, Along Came A Spider.
Or maybe mixing and matching powers instead of just picking archetype and powerset?
Issues 5, 12 and 13.
The only thing about this game that is even remotely similar is the character creation process, which IS in fact like CoX...that is if CoX were on steroids.
Or if it was made by Cryptic...which...Oh yes...
I assure you, I sat and listened to all the stuff that CoX said they couldn't do because of the way their game was hardwired, and I assure you, the only way CoX could become CO is by rewriting their entire game.
I have 1000 hours logged on CoX and possibly the same on the forums. But lets get back to my original statement.

Show me.