West and Zampella Could Have Joined THQ

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
West and Zampella Could Have Joined THQ

Former Infinity Ward bosses Jason West and Vince Zampella apparently had "very serious discussions" with the publisher.

So, quick recap. Jason West and Vince Zampella used to head up Infinity Ward, but got fired after Activision accused them of "scheming" with EA. The pair then formed a new studio - Respawn Entertainment - with seed capital from none other than the publisher it was accused of colluding with. With me so far? Good, because now we have to throw THQ into the mix, as apparently they could have ended up there as well.

THQ Core Games VP Danny Bilson says that while West and Zampella ultimately signed with EA, they also held negotiations with THQ: "I probably shouldn't talk about that publicly, but Jason [West] and Vince [Zampella] and I had a lot of very serious conversations during that time when they were 'shopping around'," Bilson said. "We have absolutely hands down the best pitch in the world, [and] the easiest place for artists to come."

Bilson said that THQ stipulates that the rights to a title must rest with it rather than the developer however, and if a developer does insist in owning the IP, then THQ doesn't want them: "That's sort of the deal breaker for me ... we have to own the IP... My job coming to this company was to build an IP library, which builds value in THQ. So that means having a developer own the IP becomes a deal-breaker ... I don't need them if that's the deal, and they're not a business I want to be in."

Without more details of what went on during the discussions there's no way to determine how things played out. It seems quite likely though, that THQ's policy on intellectual property would have been a sticking point for West and Zampella, as Respawn's retention of the IPs it created was a notable part of its deal with EA.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/thq-had-very-serious-discussions-with-jason-west-and-vince-zampella/]

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
THE PLOT THICKENS......

But quite seriously, I don;t mind where they could go or could have gone, just as long as IW get a boot up the buttocks.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
When I read "Very Serious Discussions" I automatically remembered that one scene from Ali-G where he drugged everyone at the meeting.....and it got all gay ><

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
mmm this is a hard one, on one hand I can understand why THQ doesn't want to work with developers unless they (THQ) owns the IP, if you the developer jumps ship you've basically helped build up a product for a competing publisher.

On the other hand I believe the people who come up with ideas should own the IP (not for as long as it currently stands, IP and Copyright law lengths are ridiculous at the moment), even if a backer put money into the development, creativity should be protected.

It's a murky one.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
This story is like water to soup...the more we learn, the thicker it gets, and the more information. Its pretty clear though something had been going on behind the curtain, but, was this the only thing?

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I'm trying to think of the last game I played with the THQ sticker on it...perhaps this "you can't have the IP" way of business is why. I mean, Activision and EA, those are names that everyone recognizes. Admittedly for being evil, but most people know their names. THQ, I guess is still like that, but I don't see the presence from them I used to. Maybe It's just the games I've been playing, or perhaps I just don't notice them.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Surprised that THQ wasn't more flexible...

I mean come on...the company is losing big. Do they expect the next Saints Row to carry them?

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
THQ usually makes really good games - see Stalker:SoC, Metro 2033, etc.
but i think the ex-IW crew is better suited to polished broader games