Westboro Baptist Church is thwarted!

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Irony said:
Well that site was... interesting.

It's a shame that so many things turned out to work against the WBC and their protest. But these things happen I guess. Sometimes the odds are stacked against you and things just don't work out. Maybe they should have prayed to God a bit more of support...
This. :D, I mean really it was just a series of unfortunate accidents.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
And another example of the America that tries to police the world *though now they are owned by China* the home of the free...unless the majority don't agree with you then you better watch out or you'll be lynched...or worse hung...for having a differing opinion something we did only 100 years ago.

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
What is ironic is that Westboro is extremist and they "hate" terrorists when they themselves are worse than any terrorist.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Hiphophippo said:
As ardently as I disagree with their message they DO have every right to say it.
I'm sorry but there is a difference between 'practicing freedom of speech' and just being distasteful. There is absolutely no reason to stage a protest at someone's funeral. You can say whatever you want but these people go out of their way to enrage and offend others only to cry that the heretics are trying to silence them.

Sir John the Net Knight said:
Spitting on the casket of a dead soldier is one of the most vile acts that a person can commit. Bravo to Rankin, MS for putting WBC in their place.
Exactly.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Tentickles said:
What is ironic is that Westboro is extremist and they "hate" terrorists when they themselves are worse than any terrorist.
really you mean the Westboro baptists church has set fires, hung people, cut off heads, held people hostage, rammed planes into buildings..etc? you truely mean it? they have?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
lolz good way to do it by blocking their cars. I think the WBC will remember to rent cars from the town they plan to protest less they see this happen again. Civilians doing it is funny tho i can't condone the cops being in on it has well or so it would seem :p

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
l00kmumn0hands said:
NerfRider has a good point.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall
I think this is the most important thing. It irks me to agree with it in this instance, but it's very true. As much as I wish these people could get caught in the path of a hurricane, people should have the right to say whatever the hell they want, no matter how stupid and obviously inflammatory.

It's also a sad thing that the WBC abuse the rights that very few people in this world have. Their hypocrisy is sickening.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Safaia said:
Hiphophippo said:
As ardently as I disagree with their message they DO have every right to say it.
I'm sorry but there is a difference between 'practicing freedom of speech' and just being distasteful. There is absolutely no reason to stage a protest at someone's funeral.
You're right. There IS a difference between freedom of speech and being distasteful. But Freedom of Speech is STILL freedom of speech and they are STILL allowed to say what they want, regardless of how bile-filled it is. In cases like this, I'm willing to accept that maybe there should be a law against protesting at funerals. Maybe. But that's as far as I'm willing to go. Freedom of Speech is the most important thing we have.

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
WilliamRLBaker said:
Tentickles said:
really you mean the Westboro baptists church has set fires, hung people, cut off heads, held people hostage, rammed planes into buildings..etc? you truely mean it? they have?
Took that quite literally didnt you?

Terrorist have a set goal: Bodily Harm in the name of their beliefs.

Westboro takes it a step farther and insists on psychologically attacking the people they protest and harassing the families of heroes.

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
Fleischer said:
*sigh* This is exactly what the WBC wants. I expect to hear about a major law suit being lodged against the town of Rankin. Violating the freedom of speech of anyone - even those with deplorable messages - is unconstitutional.
The thing is WBC protests are unconstitutional.

the problem is no one ever asks the question 'Are they allowed to say that?' instead they go about the means of asking 'Are they allowed to Do that?'.

the WBC protests incites negative violent responce. Their actions have a history of inviting individuals to engage in illegal actions. Ontop of this, their protests impeed on the religious ceramony of others.

Protesting on the side walk infront of a cemetary regardless of the message is perfectly legal and is what the supreme court upheld in their judgement.

however, spreading hate messages which welcome a violent responce and actively impeeding on Ones capability to follow their own religious faith is NOT constitutional.

theguiltyone

Jan 6, 2010
Ghaleon640 said:
The article said how they parked behind all of the cars with a Kansas liscence plate right? That probably also screwed over a bunch of people who weren't from the church... just a comment.
You know, I'm from Kansas, and if I knew that was the reason I was being blocked in? I'd let 'em. Wouldn't even be mad.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Fleischer said:
*sigh* This is exactly what the WBC wants. I expect to hear about a major law suit being lodged against the town of Rankin. Violating the freedom of speech of anyone - even those with deplorable messages - is unconstitutional.

The story shouldn't be about the beating and illegal detention of people. It should be about Jason Rogers's service and his ultimate sacrifice to his country. I give thanks to him, and pray that his family finds solace in their time of grief and loss.

Hatchet90 said:
These guys give Christians a bad name. It's about time some vigilantes got back at them.
Because Christianity is all about vigilantism, not mercy. :(
Your constitutional right to free speech ends pretty far before the basic right of human dignity. That part isn't written in the constitution because our Founding Fathers thought higher of us, and that we'd have that part figured out. They had to explicitly say things like freedom of the press, free speech, and the right to bare arms because those were still up for debate at that point in history.

Since the WBC blew that whole thing out their asses they don't exactly have much ground to argue that they've been robbed of their rights as citizens.

Unfortunately to be a citizen of the united states, you have to be a person first.

Most people would recognize that there's a time and a place to say whatever you want.

Of course humans also operate on the premise of thought and reason, and it takes a severe lack there of to think that Jesus supported ideas like hate speech, or that a single passage in the bible can trump an entire Testament.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I'm not reading every page of this, but someone must have said it by now;

Evelyn Beatrice Hall said:
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Just because they have different beliefs to you, as long as they are causing no physical harm they are not in the wrong in my mind.

But I can admit, the very concept of the WBC still amazes me. I fail to see how anyone could truly believe that sort of thing...

and remember
Voltaire said:
Opinions have caused more ills than the plague or earthquakes on this little globe of ours.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
It happened in America, why didn't they just huddle them up behind the hotel and empty a few shotgun casings...
Just sayin'.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Hatchet90 said:
These guys give Christians a bad name. It's about time some vigilantes got back at them.
As a Christian, I can't condone violence. But if someone were to beat them viciously, I wouldn't send them flowers. Unless the flowers had bees in them. Buzz.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Fleischer said:
First amendment only applies to the government as far as I can understand it, which means that what they did was totally legal. RIP Mr Rogers.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
dogstile said:
Fleischer said:
Then maybe your total freedom of speech needs to be updated. Excluding the Phelps entirely would be a good update.

You Americans and your total freedom of speech. If they can't take a punch in the jaw for saying it, then they shouldn't say it :p
What dogstile said. It's ridiculous how WBC gets away with it by simply shielding themselves with a law, while it's crystal clear to 99% of the inhabitants of this planet that there's no way they should be aloud to act like that.

Vash108

Jul 18, 2008
Piss off enough people and one day you will get beat up. Just like in elementary school. I don't condone it but thats human nature.