Westboro Baptist Church, Wikileaks Troll Steve Jobs' Death

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Westboro Baptist Church, Wikileaks Troll Steve Jobs' Death

The Westboro Baptist Church leader damns Steve Jobs to Hell using her iPhone.

Today has seen an outpouring of love celebrating the life of Steve Jobs on social networking services like Reddit, Facebook and Twitter. Everyone is posting San Diego Comic Con. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA]

"Westboro will picket his funeral. He had a huge platform; gave God no glory & taught sin," wrote Margie Phelps, daughter of church leader Fred Phelps, on Twitter last night. [http://twitter.com/#!/MargieJPhelps/status/121733810231590912]

The absolutely ridiculous part is that Phelps wrote and sent this Tweet with her freaking iPhone. After several people pointed out the irony of using the product created by the same man she was damning, Phelps responded, "Rebels mad cuz I used iPhone to tell you Steve Jobs is in hell. God created iPhone for that purpose! :)"

I interpret Phelps' smiley-face there as a clear sign of insanity.

Phelps was not the only individual using the death of Steve Jobs as a blatant publicity grab to say things like [http://twitter.com/#!/MargieJPhelps/status/121932343861706752], "Warn the living: no Jobs worship! Fear God! Obey!" Another individual who has witnessed his fair share of public ire in the last few years also took the opportunity to grab attention.

Julian Assange is the man behind WikiLeaks, the organization that published thousands of classified U.S. State Department communiques in 2010 and quickly became the target of financial institutions and the U.S. Government. Last night, Assange Tweeted (via the wikileaks account) [http://twitter.com/#!/wikileaks/status/121738677910122496] a link to an image claiming to be the medical records of the deceased, mere minutes after news of Jobs' death. The records show that Jobs had HIV, but the document is clearly a fake seeing as the testing facility SX Check wasn't in business in 2004, the date of the supposed HIV test.

Assange made no claim that the document was real, but linking fake medical records stating Steve Jobs had HIV just after he passed away from a real illness like cancer just shows a complete lack of respect.

Way to go, Internet!

Source: StrollerDerby [http://twitter.com/#!/MargieJPhelps]

Zach of Fables

Oct 5, 2011
The Wikileaks thing bothers me more than the WBC. We expect the WBC to act like douches, that's how they operate. But Assange should have fact checked before he spat on Steve's grave like that.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Force of nature. Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and Westboro Church does something asinine.

PS. also the Scout hurts people.

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Sometimes I wonder how people allow the world to be in the state that it is today. And then I watch the news and see crap like this, and I wonder how we are still around.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I hate people some times. Sure, I wasn't a fan of Jobs, but he's freaking dead you heartless asshats.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
After several people pointed out the irony of using the product created by the same man she was damning, Phelps responded, "Rebels mad cuz I used iPhone to tell you Steve Jobs is in hell. God created iPhone for that purpose! :)"
God created the iPhone. The iPhone was created by Apple. Thus, we can assume that according to the WBC, Apple is God. Now, Steve Jobs was the creator of Apple. Thus, if Apple is God, then Steve Jobs created God, thus making him a step higher than God. WBC is protesting against Steve Jobs. meaning that WBC is protesting against the man who created God. Logic. It just... it doesn't work with WBC. It can't.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
How do you know it's Assange's real Twitter?

I mean - hell - there are at least TWELVE people on Twitter claiming to be BILL BAILEY! Not including the real deal!

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
WBC being WBC. Makes me angry, but I try to ignore them.

Julian Assange though...if that's true, that's really a dick move. Some people will do anything to get attention (everyone had pretty much forgotten about him, right?). No respect. Pisses me off.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
The first is just a group full of dumb assholes doing their usual.

The second is actual defamation which is illegal.

Strange that the first one bothers me much more.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Whenever I try to follow the woman's logic my brain crashes and restarts. Queen of trolls.

Did Assenge post the document knowing it was fake? if it was Assenge.

Davih

May 7, 2011
It's a disgrace. The guy was disrespected twice within 24 hours of his death. It's a pure shame, how would their families like it if we disrespected any family of theirs before they have been dead for even 24 hours.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Greg Tito said:
shows a complete lack of respect.

Way to go, Internet!
Thank you, thank you. We do our best to be real asses and we appreciate the recognition. Your ill thoughts of us mean everything and we do hope that you will think more ill of us in the future.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
That's rather tasteless. I'd be a lot more outraged if it wasn't for the delicious irony.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
xitel said:
After several people pointed out the irony of using the product created by the same man she was damning, Phelps responded, "Rebels mad cuz I used iPhone to tell you Steve Jobs is in hell. God created iPhone for that purpose! :)"
God created the iPhone. The iPhone was created by Apple. Thus, we can assume that according to the WBC, Apple is God. Now, Steve Jobs was the creator of Apple. Thus, if Apple is God, then Steve Jobs created God, thus making him a step higher than God. WBC is protesting against Steve Jobs. meaning that WBC is protesting against the man who created God. Logic. It just... it doesn't work with WBC. It can't.
You won. Have an internet. be careful; it bites and looks a lot like this:

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
You see, what you should have done, is not report on the Westboro Baptist Church. Since that is giving them the free publicity to be any actual annoyance. Don't feed the trolls?

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
wait, so God created the iPhone.
Steve Jobs created the iPhone.
Steve Jobs=God.
God has gone to hell?

OT: well, this is like when a kid with a bedwetting problem wets the bed.
you were expecting something to happen, you knew they would do something dickish at some point but you dont know exactly when.
but it still makes you go 'garh'

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Zach of Fables said:
The Wikileaks thing bothers me more than the WBC. We expect the WBC to act like douches, that's how they operate. But Assange should have fact checked before he spat on Steve's grave like that.
Agreed. We expect the Westboro Baptist Church to be hateful and illogical; what's Julian Assange's excuse?

xitel said:
Congratulations. You are my hero of the day.