"We've never made a successful vaccine for a coronavirus before. This is why it's so difficult"

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It's kind of funny... I feel sorry for people like her and Fauci with an important job to do under those conditions. They don't really have a choice but to grit their teeth and get through it doing the best they can.

So apparently Trump exited the last self-aggrandisement session coronavirus briefing quickly. Actually, with him gone, maybe they'll actually be coronavirus briefings. But what's he going to do to put himself back in the spotlight? There's no way he's going accept disappearing into the background where he can't scrutinise his beloved ratings. He's going to find some other way to draw attention to himself and if he gets desperate enough, who knows what crazy shit he's going to kick up.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
It's kind of funny... I feel sorry for people like her and Fauci with an important job to do under those conditions. They don't really have a choice but to grit their teeth and get through it doing the best they can.

So apparently Trump exited the last self-aggrandisement session coronavirus briefing quickly. Actually, with him gone, maybe they'll actually be coronavirus briefings. But what's he going to do to put himself back in the spotlight? There's no way he's going accept disappearing into the background where he can't scrutinise his beloved ratings. He's going to find some other way to draw attention to himself and if he gets desperate enough, who knows what crazy shit he's going to kick up.
I imagine they consider themselves as a necessary damage control or buffer for the worst of the babbling toddler's repercussions on the US public, however futile it appears by now.
And apparently he claimed the briefing information as "sarcastic" which...even if occupying the opposite dimension of reality to make that close to believable, does not make him appear any less unhinged and stupid. How has he not caught and been offed by the virus already? That is the most baffling element in all this.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hell, as it stands, my 3 year old daughter would be a better president then Trump, if for no other reason that:
-She throws fewer temper tantrums, which pretty much puts her at a higher maturity level already.
-She's never encouraged the drinking of bleach.
Bison, Geese Howard, or Dr. Robotnik would make a better President than Trump. They all have brains, he doesn't.

I'd sooner have Satsuki Kiryuin as president. But I would never put our bullshit on her. She's teenager with enough problems on her plate.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
As previously mentioned, most coronas don't kill their infected, they just make them miserable for a week or two. This is basically the same family of viruses that the common cold is a part of. Exceptions like the SARS epidemic existed, but as previously mentioned they were short lived and not nearly as wide spread as they could have been.

Viruses that needed to have a vaccination done usually have a good kill count or some form of debilitation involved, and more or less wide spread. Polio, Smallpox, or any given case of the flu. A.I.D.S and HIV is a tragic excample of an exception to this as in the USA at the very least, little was done as possible with those wanting to do something hindered from doing so. It was seen by the powers to be as God's punishment for those they deemed moraly bankrupt in their lifestyle (namly being drug users, those that did unprotected sex with people they were not married to, espesialy if it was someone of the same gender).

This did little to help those with hemaphila who got it simply from bleeding when they least wanted it (i can tell you from perseonal experiance, even without being HIV or AIDS posative, being born in the 80's and growing up in the early 90's with a bleeding problem was not the best of times) Or those like actor Kevin Peter Hall, who played Harry in Harry and the Hendersons, and the Predator in both Predator and Predator 2. It took a little kid contracting it from a blood transfusion that people started realizing that maybe this is less Gods Punishment of the wicked and more his wakeup call to be better human beings. Despite that, that kid went through hell in school and his small town.

Covid-19 is basicly a evil pink unicorn when it comes to both the exception of the rule and a rare case. Much like if wildfires from Australia and California had a baby, it spread fast and has gone, well, viral. It also has a much higher kill ratio than the flu. Much like with HIV, it wasn't dealt with properly once the local authorities realized they had a problem. So it spread unchecked, and by the time people began dealing with it the disease was already basically the juggernaut.

Now, you have idiots that are both prolonging its spread and the corresponding lockdown by ignoring all the necessary procedures to stop it.

Sneed's SeednFeed

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Azerbaijan
I love America. I wish all the best to Americans who have to deal with the love that gets projected onto it, since it's unbearable in its intensity and in its ability to justify violence. In that sense, one does not want love. One wants out. And in that wanting out of this situation, I love all Americans.

Reactions: Fieldy409

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
My goodness my first thought is that the USA is supposed to be the big bad guys with their military but this crisis has shown you couldn't really get these people to make any of the sacrifices needed to shift to a wartime economy(That'd make this qurantine look like nothing) without them throwing huge tantrums.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
My goodness my first thought is that the USA is supposed to be the big bad guys with their military but this crisis has shown you couldn't really get these people to make any of the sacrifices needed to shift to a wartime economy(That'd make this qurantine look like nothing) without them throwing huge tantrums.
What really gets me is that a lot of these people fetishize the military. And yet the social distancing and lockdown is like a light grade version of what it's like to be deployed and they're losing their shit over it. Don't even get me started on the doomsday preppers who have been showing up at some of these protests.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
What really gets me is that a lot of these people fetishize the military. And yet the social distancing and lockdown is like a light grade version of what it's like to be deployed and they're losing their shit over it. Don't even get me started on the doomsday preppers who have been showing up at some of these protests.
Those posers walking around openly with shitloads of guns aren't even real preppers. Real preppers are mad cooks and gardeners who spend most of their free time canning everything from the garden in glass jars. Plus real preppers are too paranoid to let you know if they even have guns in case you try to raid them.

I dip my toe in the prepper culture a little on reddit and most of them are cringing at this stuff.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
As previously mentioned, most coronas don't kill their infected, they just make them miserable for a week or two. This is basically the same family of viruses that the common cold is a part of.
The common cold is caused by a few hundred different viruses of different types, most of which are rhinoviruses. Coronaviruses and influenza viruses less commonly, and then a few other families much more rarely.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Those posers walking around openly with shitloads of guns aren't even real preppers. Real preppers are mad cooks and gardeners who spend most of their free time canning everything from the garden in glass jars. Plus real preppers are too paranoid to let you know if they even have guns in case you try to raid them.

I dip my toe in the prepper culture a little on reddit and most of them are cringing at this stuff.
Somehow I can believe that. Those guys with the guns seem like they're more interested in showing off their guns and possibly hoping for a world where they can shoot people without consequence then anything else. If they're this cagey about the stores being closed for a month, I doubt they'd survive a week in a real end of the world scenario.

Reactions: Tireseas

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009

The posers ostentatiously toting guns will be the protection rackets (like the Saviours in the Walking Dead) forcing the real preppers to hand over the agricultural goods when civilisation collapses.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
The posers ostentatiously toting guns will be the protection rackets (like the Saviours in the Walking Dead) forcing the real preppers to hand over the agricultural goods when civilisation collapses.
Maybe but a fair amount of them look too fat or unfit to be all that dangerous in a real fight. An actual soldier would rip through many of them like tissue paper.

Then their guns are just free reloads.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Maybe but a fair amount of them look too fat or unfit to be all that dangerous in a real fight. An actual soldier would rip through many of them like tissue paper.

Then their guns are just free reloads.
It's worth bearing in mind that a lot of the people who make up the militias in the USA tend to have a military fetish, and consequently have previously served in the armed forces. Some may be a bit out of condition now, but they have training and possibly experience - and they'll have probably trained those that haven't been in the armed forces. If the armed forces are absent in a post-apocalyptic scenario, they'll likely be the most dangerous force in the area.

They won't necessarily be jackbooted thug overlords - clearly part of the ideology of such groups is self-reliance and independence rather than domination. However, if put under pressure, I absolutely think they'd start taking by force if they needed to, or if they decided they should be the core of rebuilding society or represented some legitimate form of authority they'd seek to impose themselves. In such cases I'd expect they'd become a de facto sort of "warrior class" similar to the Spartans, samurai or early medieval nobility that put themselves at the top of the society and over a new de facto peasant farmer class working for them.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Every day scenes from America remind me more and more of that intro to Dawn of the Dead 2004

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Must all threads still degenerate into the same topic over and over like they did 5 years ago on the old forums? Different topic, same inability to move on to different aspects of it.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
Every day scenes from America remind me more and more of that intro to Dawn of the Dead 2004
I have literally no idea what you're talking about here. Most of the US, minus some assholes and certain police actions that are clearly excessive and racially motivated, is relatively calm if filled with anxiety and uncertainty. There's no substantial riots or mass violence (though mass shootings are at normal US levels). It's just a lot of unease for everyone, which was par for the course for good swaths of the country since November 2016. The only thing close to it is the occasional story such as the Family Dollar shooting, which gets a lot of attention for its sensationalism, but doesn't appear to be part of a sudden uptick in violence (possibly DV), but we won't know for months and possibly years if there was any notable change in violent crimes.

Also, can we stop with the zombie plague comparisons? It's excess hype that feeds an unhealthy narrative of "everyone on their own" more than anything else when, for the most part, we're just dealing with an abnormally lethal disease.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Must all threads still degenerate into the same topic over and over like they did 5 years ago on the old forums? Different topic, same inability to move on to different aspects of it.
Then you could quit complaining and be the change you want to see? If you want it to get back on topic of vaccines maybe mention something interesting about vaccines?