What (aesthetically) is the most beautiful game you've ever played?

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
I don't mean best graphics or most realistic looking (unless that's how you define beautiful). Screenshots/video are welcome but not required.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I know it might not "hold up" today, but well, Morrowind. When it was new, it was beautiful! I still love staring at the sky, and just being lost in this alien fantasy world that was far more alive and real, yet so unlike anything I ever knew than any game before it.

There is a million reasons that its still my favorite game. Sure Skyrim, sky included might be "better looking" but it never stole me away like the island region of Vvardenfell.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Bastion. The art style is gorgeous and the way the world builds itself as you approach makes is even better.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Persona 5 is just gorgeous. Even the basic menus are sylish and themed around the story.

Okami is my runner up, absolutely beautiful as well.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
I always thought LoTRO (Lord of The Rings Online) had some of the most beautiful environments around, too bad the character models looked and moved so horridly.

AoC (Age of Conan) was another one, just amazing for its time and if you had a machine that could handle it the draw distances were astounding.

BC-era WoW (World of Warcraft) isn't anyone's idea of photorealistic, but still the aesthetic, along with Blizz's attention to detail and fantastic animations, was really appealing. The first thing I thought when I got to Nagrand was "I want to retire here...".

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Xenoblade Chronicles and Dragon Age: Inquisition are the games I remember consistently having moments where I was just in awe of how beautiful they were. If I only had to pick one, it would be Inquisition due to having much better graphical fidelity than Xenoblade while still having an aesthetic and sense of scale that's constantly breathtaking.

That said, from what I've seen of The Witcher 3, it looks like it would impress me. However, I don't actually intend to play it until I can get it cheap (as in $10 max).

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
1st - Witcher 3 DLC - Blood and Wine. It's like the Witcher ate shrooms and awoke in Wonderland. The difference between it and the main game is quite stark and I love it!

2nd - Elder Scrolls Online - People will dump on this game all day but it doesn't change the fact that it is very pleasing on the eyes. It's not all drab and gray like Skyrim was. Even in the Skyrim zones there's color where there was none in the previous game and it helps keep the game from becoming tiresome and boring.

3rd - Dragon Age Inquisition - the dragon fights can be flat out breathtaking as well as the many vistas in which they inhabit. I've fought dragons in many games but none were as fun or as interesting as in this game.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I don't really have a favorite anything. Skyrim, The Banner Saga, Bastion, Mirror's Edge, Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption are some of the nicest looking (or at least most memorable) games I've played, though.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Tied for my top position are Contrast and BioShock. The two bear more than a passing resemblance to one another, but Contrast takes a sultry approach to the art deco style whereas BioShock was delightfully twisted.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
The most beautiful fighting game is Third Strike. The animations in that game have not been topped. Gorgeous.
The shoto gi flowing with movement, Elena's capoeira. Good stuff.

Each Elder Scrolls game wows me when I first start playing it.

I love Diablo 2's art style and sprites.

It is hard to say what is the most beautiful game I have played. I haven't played any new gen games like Witcher 3 (otherwise I would probably say that, the game looks phenomenal).

Hmmm, actually I played Battlefront ps4, which looks amazing (although it is a terrible Battlefront 2 successor).

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
No mention of Journey yet? It was the first one that sprang to my mind.

Jotun for it's amazing hand drawn style.

And because I'm a sucker for pixel art I'll throw Hyper Light Drifter out there as well.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Ori and the Blind Forest. It's breath taking. Smooth, crisp vibrant colors. Beautiful animations. Creative, intense and detailed environments.

Its simply breath-taking that its a playable game.

And Ori is like...the cutest thing ever. Since filly Fluttersy.

Oct 22, 2011
Mirror's Edge or Alice: Madness Returns.

Posted some screenshots already in this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.937272-Screenshots-Thread-Ps4-PC-WiiU-X1

EDIT:
Glongpre said:
I love Diablo 2's art style and sprites.
If we're mentioning the golden oldies, i have to bring up HoMM III.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Trine 2. It's simply beautiful to not only look at but to listen to and play as well. I love the first and third games but of the Trilogy, 2 is the one that makes me want to resurrect Roger Ebert and force him to watch me play lol.