What (aesthetically) is the most beautiful game you've ever played?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I always did like the original Crysis and Warhead, but especially the first sunrise at the start of the second level and the ice caves on the way into the Lithoship. Even ten years later those are a couple of exceptionally pretty places.

On a more design basis, Mass Effect is one of my favourite games to look at. The first one is an endless homage to 70s Space Opera, it's very unique and the second and third games got a bit more generically 'gritty' in their design.

Also, obligatory post about the PS2 version of Okami before they re-coloured it for the various ports too.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Since Okami was taken then I go with Hyper Light Drifter! I loved me some pixel arts!
I loved HyperLightDrifter, but it's forever disqualified from pretty lists by the Otters, those poor, poor Otters. One of the most disturbing areas in a non-horror game in a long time.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
fix-the-spade said:
Scarim Coral said:
Since Okami was taken then I go with Hyper Light Drifter! I loved me some pixel arts!
I loved HyperLightDrifter, but it's forever disqualified from pretty lists by the Otters, those poor, poor Otters. One of the most disturbing areas in a non-horror game in a long time.
Those were the humanoid species on the right side water area right?

Yeah that place was messed up especially what those frogmen and the big frog did to them!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Those were the humanoid species on the right side water area right?

Yeah that place was messed up especially what those frogmen and the big frog did to them!
Yup, that's the place.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I'm going to say Dragon Quest VIII

When I first experienced the game, it was like watching every bit of concept and supplement art from previous Dragon Quest games come alive. I was no longer looking at a static Akira Toriyama drawn monster, but seeing it in full 3 dimensions, and it was fantastic. The whole game maintains this consistent aesthetic that really makes you feel part of it's world, especially the incredible character and monster designs.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
As amazing a view as you can get from games like Skyrim or even more modern games, frankly it was much more impressive when it was pulled off back in the day. Like Silent Hill 2 having a style perfectly suited to add atmosphere. Really that era turned out some beautiful games. Games with a look that holds up pretty well today even. Here's one that hasn't been mentioned. Mostly because the voice acting was awful... like Plan 9 you have to see this awful. And the battle system was somehow overly complicated and grindy boring all at once. But it looked so good. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean.
overland

cutscene

battle

Jan 19, 2016
TLoU. It's overgrown and dilapidated world was beautifully designed and incredibly detailed (but since surpassed by Uncharted 4 in that regard), and filled with fantastic environmental storytelling.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Beyond good and evil. Lovely colours, lovely design, lovely world.

In terms of character design and animation, I love blazblue.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Something about Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker hits me and hard. I was never upset that they went for a "cartoonish" style. If anything, it gave the world some personality. Also, I found the sailing to be very calming.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
Ori and the Blind Forest is one of the most beautiful games in recent memory for me. Still frames cannot do it justice. Every facet of the backgrounds seemed animated. It was pretty impressive.

I've recently been playing through The Witcher 3 and I'm really impressed with a lot of aspects of it. Particularly when the wind picks up and trees and shrubs start whipping about. The weather effects are fantastic. Then my horse gets stuck on a tree and it all goes to crap... But when it works, it works extremely well.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Well, since I'm a MASSIVE space-nerd, I feel obliged to say Kerbal Space Program.

Honestly, nothing beats seeing the sun rise, from a vantage-point of a Low-Kerbin-Orbit in a space-station you've assembled yourself.

Or just any spacecraft you've made.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I'm split between 3D and 2D, so I'll mention both.

For 3D, I have to go with Final Fantasy 13, especially once you get to Chapter 11 (out of 13), where you are allowed to move about freely around a large area to traverse, fight whatever enemies you'd like, take part in missions and side quest at your leisure, and generally enjoy the world that you are engrossed with; instead of the hours upon hours of straight corridors of past chapters.

For 2D, I was having trouble between Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown, but frankly, most Vanillaware titles share a similar aesthetic, so I'm saying that Vanillaware itself creates amazing 2D aesthetics from different mythologies and eras.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Oblivion followed by Rayman: Legends. Every time I boot up Oblivion I still think it's a really beautiful game (and it should be noted that I don't play with mods), and I've loved Legends' everything from the get go.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Bloodborne without a doubt. I love gothic architecture and no game ever brought it to life so vividly like Bloodborne. Just the way the setting sun shines on those wet cobblestone streets..really pretty.

Other games I really love for their art design are: Dark Souls 3, MGS5(espescially Afghanistan), Arkham Knight and Saga Frontier 2. That last game looks like something from a watercolor artbook which I have never really seen in another game before or since. I enjoyed the graphics way more than the game itself. :p

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
ZombieProof said:
Trine 2. It's simply beautiful to not only look at but to listen to and play as well. I love the first and third games but of the Trilogy, 2 is the one that makes me want to resurrect Roger Ebert and force him to watch me play lol.
I second Trine, but I think the third takes the 2D eye candy to a whole other level. I also like The Puppeteer for its almost claylike boldness in texture that's complimented by vibrant coloring.

As for 3D -

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
I think Half-Life 2 and its episodes are extremely well-designed aesthetically. There's a certain plausibility to the environments that's missing in most other games, even those that strive for realism and have higher-resolution textures and models. I think it has to do with the lighting, I remember playing through the games recently and being amazed at how much a lot of it felt like urban exploration. It felt so real.

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
Journey, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus..
I also really, really liked the boss sprites in Ragnarok Online back in the day. The 3d maps were mostly pretty dull, but the sprites were both adorable and crazy.
edit: honorable mention to Muramasa. The food especially looked so delicious

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I'd probably second the Bastion/Transitor mentions above, as well as Ori and the Blind Forest

Also, special shoutout to the skyboxes in any Halo, or anything that Bungie has touched since Halo CE.