What annoys you the most in modern gaming?

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
See the poll (which has vanished...) to get some ideas. Personally I can't really decide which is worst, I think all of those together are slowly killing gaming for me.

EDIT: The poll was:
1. downloadable content
2. digital rights management
3. turn towards digital distribution
4. Obsession of companes with multiplayer

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
The sixty dollar price tags.

I know that may seem petty, but I just say that because I don't have many other complaints. I only buy a small handful of games a year, so I don't have any major complaints that applies to everything I play. (in fact really, most games I buy don't even have the 60 dollar price tag lol)

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Hmm... it's a threefour-way tie between sexism, streamlining, shitty writing, and a general lack of systems-level thought about the interaction between mechanics in game design. There's often overlap.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
xSKULLY said:
the fact that allot of people moan and ***** about how "bad" modern gaming is and how old games were so much better.
I can't speak for everyone, but it annoys me that while modern games do show progress in some areas, they regress in others (see also: streamlining, lack of systems-level mechanic design.) It's like a substantial chunk of the industry doesn't get that there are games older than 5 years, and games older than 5 years are the way they are for reasons that we can learn from.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Harder to localize games.

Regenerating Health

Can only carry two guns at once.

Which is why Resistance 3 is the best modern shooter of this gen.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
The people complaining about it over and over.

While I do agree with some complaints to an extent, I can't help but feel that some people seem to be ignoring the good that comes with modern gaming. For every CoD there's a game like Journey.

Also, to those who answered regenerating health: Do you know what game had regenerating health?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The complaints and snobbery. See above.

Also, the bad writing. But that's always been around.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
The gamers. Period. That's why I pretty much stick to single player.

Captcha: See red.

Why yes. Yes, I do.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Honestly, my issues aren't with the games at all. I feel that, today, games are probably better than they've ever been as a whole and, even if you are a very niche gamer, you can still find things to enjoy.

My biggest issue is with the extreme entitlement among far too many gamers. There are cases where honest and heartfelt feedback is given, as displayed in many reactions to ME3, but there are far too many cases where games ***** and moan for no reason. Or, more specifically, because Game D wasn't specifically made to cater exactly to their individual tastes and, heck, they paid for Game A B and C so there's no reason why it shouldn't have been. There's also the situations where, as in the cases of used games or piracy, where much of the whining comes directly from having no clue how businesses and game development actually work due to a "Me, me, me!" perspective.

back pain

Apr 1, 2011
Gamers who do nothing but complain about anything video game related. It's an entertainment medium, why are you not entertained?

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
The Publishers.

All the reducing and crap tactics used always seem to be revolved around the publishers decision.

Also, the copy-pasting.

Of course, a lot of this is also because of, as said before, the Gamers. You keep buying things that have these features and letting games that don't die, well, no companies going to be stupid enough to try that again are they?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Anthraxus said:
Zhukov said:
Anthraxus said:
Zhukov said:
The complaints and snobbery. See above.

Also, the bad writing. But that's always been around.
Snobbery ? It's called fucking reality. You make like the direction that gaming has gone, doesn't mean everyone has to. Would you be happier if I sugar coated everything and not tell it like it is ?
Yes dear, of course.

The doctor will be bringing your pills in just a few minutes. Try to take deep breaths in the meantime.
Actually, with this kickstarter movement going on now and possible
on the horizon, I might not need them.
Yeah, the whole kickstarter thing is a very cool development.

Although I worry about how projects that lack name recognition will fare. Not everyone is Brian Fargo or Tim Schafer. Also, not sure how much staying power it will have once the novelty wears off.

But in the meantime it's nice to see a way for niche, lower-cost titles to bypass all the publisher-related bullshit.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
DRM
Online passes
Regenerating health
Two weapon limits
"fans"
Unneeded, tacked-on, multiplayer
Cutscenes
Quick-time events
Dice-roll mechanics
Turn based anything