What annoys you the most in modern gaming?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
'Scapist ate the poll again.
DaHero said:
An obsession with multiplayer instead of co-op.
I'll support this idea, actually. I miss the coop and competitive games of just a few years ago. Online is fine, but I miss being able to split screen, or even share screen, with a buddy. Almost ironic that this trend died as the average number of large, beautiful televisions went up. Now that I can actually see the difference in split screening, they don't use it anymore.

I could do with less entitlement, but that's kind of an inherent human problem, and not so much about gaming as it is about gamers.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
scorptatious said:
The people complaining about it over and over.

While I do agree with some complaints to an extent, I can't help but feel that some people seem to be ignoring the good that comes with modern gaming. For every CoD there's a game like Journey.

Also, to those who answered regenerating health: Do you know what game had regenerating health?

I'm not one with any complaints I feel are significant enough to mention, but I will excuse Shadow of the Colossus for anyone who agrees with me. It's a minimalist game. The challenge and sense of impact might be hurt if you could down an apple to heal yourself rather than running and hiding from the giant that's about to crush you or throw you off.

Strain42 said:
The sixty dollar price tags.

I know that may seem petty, but I just say that because I don't have many other complaints. I only buy a small handful of games a year, so I don't have any major complaints that applies to everything I play. (in fact really, most games I buy don't even have the 60 dollar price tag lol)
This one is simple enough. Do what I do and never buy new. Wait until the price goes down to $40 or buy used if you have no qualms about doing so. I could give you the big explanation on inflation making games cheaper than they were, but I won't. Just don't buy new and you're golden.
scornedbythenine said:
games getting shorter AND lower quality yet prices rising/not dropping
Prices dropping? Yeah right. You deserve the big inflation explanation. The value of the dollar is going down, yet the prices of games remain the same. Games are becoming objectively cheaper as time goes on and you want them to lower the prices? I don't see that happening. I'm not sure if they're becoming shorter or not, but you could go to sandboxes like GTA, Fallout, and The Elder Scrolls if you want game time. Quality is subjective so I won't even get into that.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
I find the lack of many RTS in modern gaming to be terrible.

I do love SINS OF SOLAR EMPIRE.

It has kept me entertained for awhile.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
The dominance of first person shooters.

I never liked them, and now I'm really, really sick of them.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Video Game Content writers that do not understand that brevity is more important than filling space. In a lot of new RPGs games that I've played in the last few years, I was bored reading it. With some of the DLC for New Vegas, namely the Lonesome Road, I was sitting there thinking that this information could be told to me in a few paragraphs and not through a 15 minute dialog tree. I had the same reaction with Honest Hearts. If I'm sitting there telling the game to get to the fucking point and movie on. I do not need a 15 minute rambling speech about how I'm the evil person.

If it was a glorified text adventure, like Planescape, I could have accepted needless amounts of dialog.

The is where JRPGs are better. They tell a story first and provide an experience later.

For its many faults, the story in Final Fantasy 13 did not drag. It acted like it did not want you there, nor did it really need you beyond you being a ferryman for the main characters, but the story did not drag. Every cut scene in the game added a new piece of the story. Every bit of dialog was precise and necessary. Even the unnecessary background information was only as long as they needed to be to get the information across.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The customers. As if anything else, the product might have flaws, their might be issues worth of debate and protest, but the people will always be the most annoying factor, and unfortunately the one that you can't really "fix".

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Oh, and more importantly, and I didn't mention this in my first posts because of scaredy-catness.

The decline of people's opinion of jRPGs and even Japanese games themselves.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
TheKasp said:
People don't like tension in combat where every move that you do can be heavily punished.
You know what the most bad ass instance of tension involving health bars is? When you're playing Counter Strike, you're the last surviving member defending against several terrorists with 1 HP and you pull it out and win the match.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
The press for realism, I play games to escape reality. I want a shiny rusty key so I can spot it across the room and not spend three hours looking for it in a pile of rust. I still laugh when I kill something in skyrim on a slope and it suddenly loses all traction and starts sliding downhill at 50mph. Sometimes it's annoying it you want to loot it but it's funny. Also exploration and sidequests, sure they're sandbox games that are built around that but what happened to the linear games where you can pause the story to go raise chocobos or find that super awesome weapon and just generally faff about.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
WanderingFool said:
Well, seeing as this is three pages long, im gonna assume you were already told there is no poll...
No I didn't know, I had gone to sleep and now I visited the site again. Damn, it seems that I messed it up. There was supposed to be a poll... It had four options: dlc, drm, obssesion with multi-player and something else that I don't remember right now. Maybe it's better this way. People already know very well what annoys them.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
Strain42 said:
The sixty dollar price tags.

I know that may seem petty, but I just say that because I don't have many other complaints. I only buy a small handful of games a year, so I don't have any major complaints that applies to everything I play. (in fact really, most games I buy don't even have the 60 dollar price tag lol)
I agree 100%, but wasn't this always the problem in video games? I have kept the price tag of Final Fantasy VIII, a 1999 game: 23.800 Greek drachmas, with today's currency it would have been: 70 Euros. But the cost of life was much cheaper in 1999, so probably it would cost somewhere 90 Euros in real money.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
LilithSlave said:
The dominance of first person shooters.

I never liked them, and now I'm really, really sick of them.
Same here. I think eventually they will self-destruct like the electronic messages in the Mission Impossible series. lol

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
Akalabeth said:
The only thing I hate is the stupid game holding my hand.

ie Arkham Asylum, you get in a boss fight and before you even get a chance to figure out for yourself how to win it the game tells you flat out what do. Screw off you stupid game, let me think for myself.

I HATE that.

Gears3 did the same bullshit "shoot at his rocket pack to kill him faster" when confronted with one of those behemoth enemies. I don't mind the game telling me that, but tell me in some dialogue from an NPC, not with some onscreen prompt.
Then I assume that you love Dark Souls/ Demon's Souls. :) At least I do.

FreezingFlames

Dec 6, 2011
Mine would be a lot of the gamers on CoD cause almost every time I play, at some point, there's some guy just randomly cursing people and the game out either saying "Your such a f***ing noob, why are you even here", or "What the f***, you must have no life to be this good, go get a life".

kjempff

May 12, 2011
pvp in every mmorpg
shop solutions (f2p p2win dlc etc)
steam (and similar)
consolification (also covering the lowest common denominator issue)
eastern style graphics
franchise games (from star wars to my little pony)
dumbing down (when was the last time a game challanged you?)

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
Honestly, the only thing thank annoys me about modern gaming are the people who play them. If the companies charged them for how much they whine instead of charging them for the game, they'd be making BILLIONS more than they do right now.

Not reading the comments on any game-related news article helps. :)