What annoys you the most in modern gaming?

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
People who ***** about regenerating health. I mean seriously, there really isn't any difference between the two(mind you that I am only taking into account single player and not multiplayer). I mean unless the game is a survival horror game, health packs are going to be abundant anyways. Currently I am playing through Half-Life 2 for the first time(default difficulty) and quite frankly I have been doing a lot of things that I wouldn't have done normally, like not actively trying to stay in cover and assess my surroundings. I mean, I can actively tank a lot of enemies without needing the aid of cover. Hell, I don't even worry about health half the time.

Jewpacabra

Dec 25, 2008
The attention afforded to graphics. It's like people think that unless games are the prettiest they can possibly be, no-one will enjoy them anymore. Which I think is wrong. We should be demanding good games first, pretty games second

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
What annoys me most? People who ask what annoys me about modern gaming. People can't accept change and think they *actually* have a say in what goes on.

GmonXyZ

Mar 3, 2012
The lack of a console and/or macro/modding capabilities.
This is why i still love WoW, tho i have stopped playing.

Also, regenerating health should be banned.

EDIT:
-RPGs are losing detail and stats. Look at Deus Ex:HR and Skyrim compared to Deus Ex and Morrowind.
That applies to Diablo as well, sadly.
/cry

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
For me it's all the DLC being released... I don't like having to pay for extra stuff that 10 years ago I would've got for collecting secrets or something. I could understand if it was proper expansions packs, but I don't appreciate having to pay £8 for a few useless characters.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
The lack of Micro Management. I have yet to come across a game other than Myth II on this level of intense micro and standard of detail. Total war games and Wargame European Escalation have been the two closest things to the scale.

Oh and lets not forget the 3d. I am sick of 3d animation with Bloom on everything. This is why Diablo 3 is going to suck because in diablo 1, the atmosphere was really dark and dismal with suspenseful music, not like diablo 3 which is going to look like something off rayman with extra angry faces.

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
not enough jiggle physics research.we haven't had a major breakthrough since DOA xtreame beach volley ball[/sarcasm]

on a more serious note, I personally am loving the move towards digital distribution especially as far as classic games are going.gog and dosbox are letting me run classics cheaper and better than ever before.

personally my least favourite thing(and this is probably only me) is the way pc and console gaming is one big thing now.i dislike the way that both platforms are loosing there individual identity in the process.i am probably talking bollocks here but to me pc gaming should be about complexity and console gaming should be about challenge.not both beig about graphics and multiplayer.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
paislyabmj said:
pc gaming should be about complexity and console gaming should be about challenge.not both beig about graphics and multiplayer.
Well said! I like this explanation, because I had started myself to forget what makes a pc game, and what a console one. Today if a game can be played from Android and handhelds to consoles, PC and Facebook, it is considered perfectly normal.

On a side note can you name who is mainly responsible for this mess?

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
The dodgy hardware and software is all that really annoys me. I've replaced both my current gen consoles and I need to spend half an hour downloading patches and installing game data to play anything on the PS3.

I don't generally subscribe to the 'oh everything was better ten years ago' school of thought, but developers are constantly releasing broken games, now that they have the luxury of patching them three month's down the line, and it really bursts my head.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
GmonXyZ said:
That applies to Diablo as well, sadly.
/cry
Yeah. In Diablo 3, every Witch Doctor will play the same, every Barbarian, Monk, etc. plays exactly the same at a certain level

Feels more like an elaborate Dawn of War 2 Last Stand mod than anything else. With the difficulty stripped down until you play for like 50 hours and actually reach decent difficulty

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
....That I can't play them in my sleep? Seriously I would enjoy sleeping so much more if I could play video games and sleep at the same time. We need to get working on that.

Other than that...hmmm...nothing really. Yes there are seriously sucky problems in the games industry, I know it, you know it, blah blah blah. But there will always be and things will get sorted with time just so new problems can arise. It's simply the nature of most things in the universe. Things go bad, things get better. This over here sucks and will continue to suck for another 10 years while this thing over there is improved upon and made better.

Honestly I think as modern gamers we have it pretty good. Amazing graphics, innovations in gameplay and story-telling, enviroments so large that it takes years to fully explor, games that often last at least 40 hours and can reach hundreds, at least SOME recognition of games as art-form, it's slowly becoming a more acceptable hobby, we're slowly starting to see some interest in reaching out to other demographics and representing them...come on guys, we've got it good.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
"Modern Gaming", or at least this generation of it has to be the worst generation of video games I have ever lived through (I started at the tail end of the 2nd console generation, and really got hooked with the 3rd). Yes, the games are "prettier" but at the expense of nearly everything else. This maybe a bit disjointed, but the following are a collection of thoughts as to why this generation of gaming is terrible:

Anti-Consumer Practices
- DRM - There are many forms of this, and all of them bad. It is supposed to hurt pirates in theory, but in the end it only hurts the consumer.
- Online Passes/company specific sign-ups, Day 1 DLC, Pre-order "bonuses" - All of this is to prevent "used games" as if it were a problem.

DLC
- Yes, it can sometimes be used for good, to "grow" a game, but rarely is it used as such. Mainly it is used as a vehicle to nickle-and-dime consumers into spending more on a game then the original asking price by cutting content from the original game. Yes, some is simply "superfluous" products, like costumes and such, but much is not. Rmemeber when things like that used to be included in the game you bought and you "unlocked" it through game-play, at no extra cost!
- It is being used to fuel Day 1 sales and preorders, again by cutting content from the original game, only to sell it to you when you buy the game, or to offer it as a "bonus" if you buy the game new to prevent re-selling.
- Being used to sell Collector's Editions.
- How about remembering games years down the road?

Digital Distribution
- Why does it cost as much if not more money to get my game without a "physical copy" as it does to go to the local shop and pick it up?
- This is being used as a form of control. What happens when the company goes belly up? Will I still be able to get the game? We have already seen examples of product that was already purchased being pulled from online "stores" so that you can't get them anymore.
- This is also tied closely with:

Online Connectivity
- I have to be online to play a single-player game?
- If their server pukes, I can't play the game!
- "Updating" the game no longer becomes an option, and particularly sucks if it removes features.
- Patches not being used to fix the game, but rather just to attempt to curb piracy

Multiplayer
- I have no problem with multiplayer in general, just how it is being implemented in the current generation. Local multiplayer is almost dead (that of the split-screen or local hot-seat style of play), mainly being moved to the "Online multiplayer" option or the "Everybody needs to own a copy of the game so we can sell more of them" mentality, at the cost of the social aspect.
- Multiplayer being shoehorned into almost every game, when it has no need to be there, other than to "capture" an audience, and for what? For the servers to become a ghost town when the next big thing is released? Grand Theft Auto IV, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Bioshock - all examples of games that did not need multiplayer and yet had it implemented in order to capture the "Call of Duty" crowd. If I wanted a multiplayer shooter I would play a game that was designed for such!
- On the flip side, not encouraging multiplayer of a different sort or offering options for gameplay. I want to play through campaigns with a partner both online or split screen. How about split screen actually being optimized for gameplay on these new-fangled high definition televisions that we all have now! Why does split screen still suck?!

Pricing
- How come every new release is priced like a Ferrari? What I mean is why is every game priced at the highest end they can charge especially when most games are not worth it? Why do people buy used, or trade in games to get others? Because of the price!
- This is tied to the digital versions being out of whack with reality as well.
- Boxed games are coming with less and less content. I remember when games had manuals and stories within their cases, maps and such. Nowadays, those are being relegated to "Collector's Editions" with behind the scenes DVDs that are often short and vague, as well as some useless nick-nack that doesn't really add anything, like a crappily made figurine or a coin or some such. and then being sold for inflated prices.
- Games coming with less and less content only to sell it to you later as DLC, inflating the price of an already inflated game.

Unfinished Games
- Games are released before they are finished and "patched" later. Maybe. Dependant on sales.
- Games that aren't tested enough for bugs, or the bugs are ignored, deemed "not important".
- Content being withheld or "sketched out" only to "flesh-out" and sell later as DLC.
- Games being short story-wise, but the "padded" with "side quests" or "time sinks" just to lengthen it without having to add actual content.

Lowest Common Denominator
- Games being made for stupid people! Games are being designed as if the developers are afraid that someone will fail.
- Games being made for consoles when they are on the PC. Skyrim's UI is a perfect example of lazy good-for-nothing developers.
- Linearity being over-emphasized in almost everything.
- Little risk or innovation being taken by anyone.

I remember thinking that the advantages to being online could be huge, that companies could innovate and grow this industry into something amazing with it.

That sports titles need not release every year, that you could pay for a "roster update" and just download those stat changes for a token fee in whatever sport game you have. That these roster updates could be "selectable" so you could choose to play the "2012" version of the Jets, or the "1983" version.

That DLC could continue on for years on a title, keeping it alive for a long time rather than releasing more and more incremental sequels that don't change much. This DLC would be moderately priced and selectable, so you can get the thing with the parts you liked, or the whole shebang if you were so inclined, essentially replacing the need for expansion packs as well. Where are my new map packs for Resistance 1? Or how about new add-ons for Smackdown vs Raw 2008?

That games would continue to be tested before launch and bug fixed, but if on the off chance that something did make it through that bug could be caught and fixed right away, that there would be no more game-stopping bugs.

Boy was I wrong. This is why I hope that the "gaming industry" crashes and burns again. Maybe then they will learn, because it's obvious by their actions that they haven't yet.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
The massive push towards multiplayer and social. I love gaming but I have little enough time to pursue my hobby as it is. So every time a company produces a game I would have wanted play and crams it all into the multiplayer or forces me to use their social network it annoys the crap out of me. For example, Diablo 3 comes out next month but Blizzard has thrown in with the social/multiplayergroup by forcing me to use Battle.net if I want to play the game at all. For me the Diablo series has always been a solo offline experience. I don't begrudge those that want to play online the ability to do so but I want to be able to enjoy the game by myself offline. They at least left us the option of offline play in Starcraft II but are completely removing that functionality from Diablo III.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
probably the "lets add multiplayer!" thing
for example: Dead Space 2.
Dead Space 2 had a terrible tacked on multiplayer that seemed to spoil the whole game. the single player felt shorter, and of lesser quality than the original.
I think it was something like 7-8 hours long to Dead Space 1's 10-12
I would have much preferred to see no multiplayer and a longer single player, since the ending came out of nowhere and it felt like a part of the story was removed, kind of like taking chapter out of a book.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I'd say the biggest issue I have with modern gaming is the increasing trend towards everything being online. That's not a problem for most people, but the area I live gets incredibly slow broadband speeds, meaning if someone else is on Xbox LIVE, the rest of us end up dragging a metaphorical tonne of bricks, or vice-versa.

I don't really mind DLC, at least when it doesn't feel like it should have been on the disc to begin with, but I do mind the fact that so many multiplayer games are online only, when everybody knows that playing splitscreen with people in the same room as you and not having to worry about ping times and lag is always more fun.

Also, there's been a lot of talk about the next generation consoles being all digital distribution only, which only compounds the problem. I don't think it will come to that (surely they haven't already forgotten the PSP Go) but it is a worrying thought, since that would basically be eliminating an option of purchase for a huge amount of consumers.