What are "African-Americans" called in your country?

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
In the US the "PC" term is "African-American". So I'm just curious as to how they are identified in other countries since "African-American" makes zero sense in other countries.

Please indicate your country of origin and the commonly accepted non racist term for black people.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Norway.
'Black' or 'coloured', I guess, is the most pc.

Of course, there's always the term 'mochaman'.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
Lost In The Void said:
Canadian, or black I guess if I needed to get specific.

I frankly think PC terms are stupid, especially when it comes to race. All they do is re-enforce the idea that people of different skin color are different from us (Hint: they aren't)

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
"Afroamerikaner" when referring to black Americans.

We don't often talk about blacks but I guess the neutral term would be "sort." (black). There's also our word for the n word which I've only ever heard used by people pretending to be old racists for comedic purposes. In Denmark people are more concerned with immigrants, specifically Muslims who tend to be viewed as a uniform mass of taliban suicide bombers.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I live in Perth Australia. We call them Australians.

I guess if you wanted to be specific the PC word is probably African Australian. Though I have never heard it used. I have heard used South African descent or South African Australian (Perth gets a lot of South African immigrants). Others I have heard are Zimbabwean & Somalian Australian/immigrants. Depends on which country they are from.

They have also been applied to white people from thoughs countries. I have heard South African Australian applied way more to white South African as I have met more of them.

I personally stick way with immigrant/race tag as I believe it's wrong. I never get called white-Austrlian or anything appling to my descent. So why should I do it to others. Most people in Australia feel the same way I guess. Most people just call them Australians.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
In Britain if you want to be specific it's either Black British or Afro-Caribbean/African British depending on where their ancestors came from, since a lot of black British people originate from the West Indies rather than directly from Africa itself.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Bulgaria.

We use the N word. Which isn't offensive[footnote]The entire meaning is "person with black skin" nothing more. Nobody would even consider using it as an insult any more than "Italian".[/footnote] but thanks to American cinema, some people pretend they are smart-asses and say it is (also, said people are largely the ones that watch the most movies. Not politicians or anybody important.). So now, the term "black-skinned" is used slightly more.

There are offensive terms for, well, darker people but they mostly deal with gypsies.

Nitrozzy7

Feb 15, 2010
It depends on the circumstances and the ability of the person who you're speaking with to identify the individual. Meaning, we distinguish them mainly by nationality whether they are black, brown, yellow, or white; Or by their job, or by a nickname In a sense, the most distinguishing feature about them is what identifies the individual (person, person within a group, a group etc.).
I bet you do the same without realising it.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
From the people around me most of the time, 'black guy'.

Also in some circumstances, me and my friends use 'hot chocolate'.

Kaland

Jan 22, 2011
As mentioned, in Norway black or coloured is used, but dark-skinned (mørkhudet) is used quite a lot as well.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Brit...

In general, 'black' guy/girl covers it... *shrug*

Among my Chinese speaking acquaintances, though... 'hark-gwei' is the accepted vernacular...

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Ireland: We just call them black.

We're too busy finding new and inventive ways to call each other offensive names to bother with foreigners.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I guess afro-Canadian? We don't really have a popular official term though.

"Black" would definitely be the most used term in informal speech in Canada.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
girzwald said:
In the US the "PC" term is "African-American". So I'm just curious as to how they are identified in other countries since "African-American" makes zero sense in other countries.

Please indicate your country of origin and the commonly accepted non racist term for black people.
no, I say Black and I live in the US. I don't say African American anymore than I say European American. Both are silly, because it sounds like your talking about immigrants, not native born

WestMountain

Dec 8, 2009
There is no politically correct way of saying "African-American" or the like in Sweden because if we do it's considered that they are different from other races.

Swedish people are really afraid of stepping on peoples toes....