What are "African-Americans" called in your country?

ShadowStar42

Sep 26, 2008
Well in most of America (by which I mean all of America that I've been to) Black is acceptable. And to those people who ask 'why call them anything' or say 'American/Canadian/German' or whatever having descriptive words is useful. It's a lot easier to say "Hey, what's the name of that guy in accounting, the black guy?" than "Hey, what's the name of that guy in accounting, you know the one who wore a blue shirt yesterday, was talking about Star Trek or something?"

Jovip

Aug 12, 2010
Well, in all my experience, here in canada we just call em people.
believe that or not.
However, i find more often then not, it is the black community that ostrasizes it's self into the "black" community more often then us, maybe i don't see it since i'm in canada, or since i live in alberta, a place very high in immigration. But rascism is lacking, and if it's not it isn't public.

Aug 25, 2009
Black.

Sometimes we get radical and say 'man, dude, woman, hey you, friend, person, mr, mrs' but mostly we call everyone black.

Off topic but I think quite funny. Anyone who reads fanfiction notice the number of times a non-American black character is called African-American in fanfiction? Note to all fanfiction writers writing for non-American black characters, just because you're American doesn't mean everybody else is.

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
African Americans? Assholes.
Black people? Locals.

Bajans tend to get along with Caucasian Americans more so than with African Americans, as long as you're not racist. They believe greatly that their American "counter parts" polluted the world with misconceptions of how blacks are. They also don't like the N word, and I rarely see a Bajan use it in any form. It's considered an insult to anyone no matter either person's color.

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
I live in the fallout universe. Everyone who isn't white or asian is African American.
Even if they originate from neither Africa or America.

But seriously, generally just refer to them as 'black.'
Because...you know...their skin is black, and we're generally classed as 'white' anyway.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Black people. Most of them don't seem to care that you have eyes and can tell that they're not white, so long as you don't treat them badly because of it. I hate the term African-American. Suddenly, all black people are from Africa, who knew?

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Croatia.
The term is "crnac", which can be translated as... um, "black-er" (similarly to the way "maker" or "singer" are composed). It's not offensive, but me and my friends find it funny since it's one of those rare words that you can pronounce with unmitigated bile and venom, as if it were the worst cuss word in existence. Unfortunately, it's the same way many Croats pronounce "srbin".

We're not raging bigots, I swear, we just always sound as if we are. (?)

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Karhukonna said:
DoPo said:
Bulgaria.

We use the N word. Which isn't offensive but thanks to American cinema, some people pretend they are smart-asses and say it is (also, said people are largely the ones that watch the most movies. Not politicians or anybody important.). So now, the term "black-skinned" is used slightly more.

There are offensive terms for, well, darker people but they mostly deal with gypsies.
We have a very similar situation here in Finland. The word we use, "neekeri", is generally translated into "******". The word itself, as is with your case, is not offensive. It's just a word used by people to refer to black people. Sure, I can imagine certain... individuals... using it as a racial slur, but that should not be allowed to taint the original meaning of the word.

And, as it seems to be around the world, politicians and moral mongers are quick point their fingers and offer alternative names for black people. Now, it might be just me, but "a gentleman with a dark complexion" just doesn't roll off the tongue. ;D

Hahaha the short guy in that picture cracks me up!

OT
UK and black, if I were in a coffee shop and I was the only white guy there, I wouldn't be offended if I heard someone say "sugar is next to where that white guys standing" it's just the quickest non offensive physical reference

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
girzwald said:
In the US the "PC" term is "African-American". So I'm just curious as to how they are identified in other countries since "African-American" makes zero sense in other countries.

Please indicate your country of origin and the commonly accepted non racist term for black people.
Human beings.
People.

At a push, if their skin colour must be denoted, black.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
PiggyJibbleFish said:
Cazza said:
I live in Perth Australia. We call them Australians.

I guess if you wanted to be specific the PC word is probably African Australian.
A girl in my class once said, without a hint of sarcasm, "I don't know that many Abori... Oops! Sorry. I mean African-Australians."

I could have cried.

OT: Australian, yeah. Black is also acceptable, methinks.

Please tell me someone corrected how wrong she was.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
torzath said:
Black and I live in America. I don't know if this is a common mindset everywhere or just because I'm in Virginia, but most black people I know hate being called African Amercian.

Direct quote - "I was born in America, raised in America, and have never even been to Africa. I'm as African as you are European."
I live in Virginia as well and can confirm this statement . . . "black" is the most common term for this region. Due to the diversity of this region, sometimes distinctions are made as well based on how they act/appear, in which case it's either "black" or "brutha/sistah."

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Black people ****** or negro

What else do you want me to call them "Hey you, with the skin handicap , come over here!"

You know why they're called black/negro? Because they have dark skin and that's our name for dark skin

You don't see me walking up to christians saying, hey you religiously retarded person, just because we don't follow the same religion neither.

So why should I not nun the christian christian and the black man black or negro.

Andothul

Feb 11, 2010
My neighbor called me coloured once lol. I don't think she meant disrespect she was just older.

I'm American and i don't think Ive ever been called African American by anyone.

Here i am called Black (my friends call me Mocha because that is my true skin color)
and in Australia everyone just called me American or yank

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
One advantage of mass immigration in Britain, is Daily Mail readers are now terribly confused now they can't just glance at skin colour to decide who to hate :)

'Why oh why can't all immigrants be dark skinned, they're deliberately being difficult!'

Sometimes makes me wish for the seas to dry up, so people would realise we're all living on the same damn bit of land. Of course, they'd still judge people based on race, colour, religion, or class. I swear in the UK class is a bigger divider than race now.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Living in American, they're clearly "Black people", if/when they need a descriptor. Anything else is just stupid.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Kendarik said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Germany.
Wish I was kidding.
Is that considered a polite term in Germany, or just one that is used a lot?
Well, you have ****** in the offensive sense which is used by the majority of young people and "neger" which is used by the older generation. That last one used to be offensive but the old folks round here still use the word with no ill intended.
I honestly thought that Germany had kinda become more mature in matters like that than most places.

OT: Black. Though honestly, even saying black seems a little uncomfortable to me. It's along the same lines as me calling a Chinese person yellow.

metal eslaved

Sep 9, 2010
Dominican Republic

We call them negro(black)if their skin is really black or people, because the majority of people in this country are black.

Funny thing to people that have white skin or are really light skinned are call rubio(blond).

PS. negro in this country is not offensive in any way.