What are E Frames?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think that might be what it was called, I remember hearing it offhandedly in a Hades live stream a while back, in reference to a particular defensive dash. They said that having more of them, was better. I assume it's something to do with the amount of digital space your character takes up, and thus how likely/unlikely it is they are hit by an attack, as a result of moving around threats? I might be using the wrong term, but I could've sworn he said E-frames, but it was never explained when I've heard it. It was always used assuming everyone hearing the word already knew what it meant. I think I've also heard it used in the context of tournament fighter games, and the likelihood of being hit by an attack based on the actual character model vs hit box.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I-frames, or invulnerability/invincibility frames.

Basically, you have a certain portion of the animation of a specific action where hits "go through you" without touching you, and if you figure out when that period is during each relevant animation, you can time it to coincide with the enemy attacks making contact with you so you can dodge them. It's a staple in a lot of genres, such as fighting games or monster hunter or soulsborne stuff.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yes, I-Frames, thank you, I thought I might be remembering the name of it wrong. Thanks to both of you.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yes, I-Frames, thank you, I thought I might be remembering the name of it wrong. Thanks to both of you.
I was thinking it might’ve been something different, like extra frames. But it also sounds very similar to “e-fame” *shudders*