What are some "bad" movies that you like?

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Wow, it's shocking to see so many people listing 80s and 90s action flicks as "bad". Predator, Commando, Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Last Action Hero (basically anything with Sly or Arnold, methinks?) etc are not bad movies just because they can't be taken seriously.

When one watches Commando and says "hey, those watchtowers blew up at the top when Arnie placed the explosives at the base" they must also realize that he is taking on a friggin army by himself... These movies are not bad, they just have camp value.

As for my selection of a bad movie, it would have to be the aforementioned The Room. First time I saw it, I thought that it was just the most god awful thing I had ever seen. Second time I saw it, I was in tears the whole time. Now, that movie holds a special place in my heart. I can't say that I like it per se but if I get 6 pints in me, I'm definitely digging the movie's crappiness.

vkola

Jul 12, 2011
My contribution to this thread is the Feast trilogy.

Good slasher/gore/horror?/comedy films with classic scenes like midget catapults. Great character introductions in the first movie btw.

But a word of warning though for the faint of heart, the movies features scenes of murder, rape, dismemberment, alcohol use, sex, smoking and heavy violence and foul language.

And you will laugh.. alot!

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Well, I certainly can't compete with OP's list, but here is mine:

Street Fighter (Hell yeah Raúl Juliá)
Super Mario bros
Mortal Kombat (just the first one)

Aside from being HUGE fans of the source material, Street Fighter and Mario have a lot of my favorite actors, so how could I not love these movies? I also think it's neat that Raúl Juliá's kids loved street fighter and they helped him prepare for his role as M.Bison, which -given how cheesy that character actually is- was a role played stunningly. Everyone making these three movies knew they were utter schlock, and just had fun playing their parts. It's like watching people cosplay with cinematic effects and plot shoehorned in.

These movies aren't exactly awful (like the starwars prequels), they are just ultra campy and I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. If these movies were made with the intent of making 'fantastic cinema', they wouldn't be true to their source material and that is far more important to me then seeing something Oscar worthy.

Vegan_Doodler

May 29, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
I also don't get the hate toward the Butterfly Effect as I think it had a excellent moral to it.
Not to sound confrontational, but what was the moral of those movies exactly, the only thing I got from it was 'if there is ever a problem you have no control over, kill your self', I know I'm being a bit harsh there but that's honestly what I thought.

Transformers : I had been waiting my entire child hood for the one line....

The Star Wars prequels : Love 'em

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull : t'was OK

Blade films :pure Badass

Resident evil films : Now I can not understand why people hated them so much, They where based on the first three games and if we are being honest they weren't exactly the peek of gaming, but if you want to see a hot girl beet up zombies you can't go wrong with these movies.

Oh and one last one, FRIGING TANK GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!...........hem love that film.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I liked the Star Wars prequels. (Yeah, I know.)

And I liked the Resident Evil movies. But even I admit my like for them is stretched thin by the first movie. But after that, they seemed fine to me.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Starship Troopers, Doomsday and Centurion. None did blindingly well, but they were entertaining enough for me to enjoy hugely.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Vegan_Doodler said:
Scarim Coral said:
I also don't get the hate toward the Butterfly Effect as I think it had a excellent moral to it.
Not to sound confrontational, but what was the moral of those movies exactly, the only thing I got from it was 'if there is ever a problem you have no control over, kill your self', I know I'm being a bit harsh there but that's honestly what I thought.

Transformers : I had been waiting my entire child hood for the one line....

The Star Wars prequels : Love 'em

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull : t'was OK

Blade films :pure Badass

Resident evil films : Now I can not understand why people hated them so much, They where based on the first three games and if we are being honest they weren't exactly the peek of gaming, but if you want to see a hot girl beet up zombies you can't go wrong with these movies.

Oh and one last one, FRIGING TANK GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!...........hem love that film.
While it true that part of the film was that no matter what you do, the unforeseen forces at work is a ***** (no matter how much he wanted to be with her, the outcome always result that they should never be together no matter how much he wanted it).
I just felt that main theme to the film was the actions you took and the consequences that follow depending on your action. In another word be kind to other or if you don't it will come back to haunt you.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009

My eyes have seen the glory, and it is beautiful.

Vegan_Doodler

May 29, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Fair point, I can see that, I guess the thing that always got me was the inconsistency it the time travel. Like how he his friend sees a mother and baby get blown up and goes mad (rightfully so) but then he changes time so that he instead sees his friends arms and legs get blown of and he's better than fine, he's sleeping with his girlfriend (all be it girlfriend from a different time line but that's still got to sting).

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Pinkie-Pie-Party said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
The Blade movies were awesome, in that they are so cheesy and bad that they are awesome. I was really watching the movies just for Wesley Snipes being a badass.

OT: Do the Resident Evil movies count as bad? I love those movies, and I know exactly what I'm getting into and I'm totally fine with it. It's fun watching Milla Jovovich defying all sorts of gravity and murdering zombies as she goes.

Agree on the Blade ones :p And the same reasons you gave applied to 'From Paris With Love' for me, so cheesy, yet for some reason I liked it :)
Is that the one with Travolta? If that's the one you're talking about then yeeah, that movie was a bit of ridiculous, but still pretty funny.

Osalot_TH

Sep 10, 2008
People seem to knock the older Punisher film with Dolph Lundren, but I liked it. And even though it had nothing to do with the game really, Super Mario Bros. was very entertaining.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Antonio Torrente said:
him over there said:
I don't remember the name but it was that one where Michael Cera played the awkward teenager...
which one? because most movies where Micheal Cera stars in, he always I mean always play as the awkward teenager.
It's hilarious... whenever someone makes a joke like that, you can practically be sure, that someones gonna say "Which one do you mean, isn't it always like that?" ^^

However, talking about movies:

I really really really liked Speed Racer. It's just one of those rare original action movies that have their on sense of style and create a unique and creative world. Yeah, it was childish. Yeah, the character of the little brother was horribly annoying and actually came close to ruining the whole movie. And yeah, it's about as cartoony as a life action movie can be. But in it's own way it's beautiful and i'd love to see a slightly (!) more mature sequel. I mean, it's pretty much a movie version of Mario Kart, how can you not like it?

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is pretty much the definition of a cult movie so it's kind of a pity that it's follow-up "Shock Treatment" never quite got the attention it deserved. Where Rocky Horror made fun of old Scifi B-movies Shock Treatment parodies reality television and does it pretty well. The characters are likeable, the humor works pretty well and the music is just as good as it was in Rocky Horror. Also... to me, it's more relatable. I wasn't born when B-movies were still a thing but i do live in a time where Reality-TV is popular.

Southland Tales may just be one of my favourite movies period. And that's saying something, considering i really didn't like the directors previous movie "Donnie Darko" everyone else seems to enjoy. Where Donnie Darko was the touching tale of a young, talented director really trying to be David Lynch without actually knowing why Lynchs movies work, Southland Tales is a very original, clever and fun movie that's part hilarious social satire and part genuinely complex Science Fiction. It's intelligent, it's funny, it's surreal, it's well made and it has a pretty damn groovy score and if i'd recommend it to everyone who likes unconventional movies. (And no, it's not the "Eraserhead" "I have no idea what's happening" kind of unconventional)

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
I loved Sucker Punch but everyone here seems to hate it.

Honestly, it's a lot deeper than its critics give it credit for.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
The Real Sandman said:

My eyes have seen the glory, and it is beautiful.

I don't think that qualifies. That thing is awesome because it's bad. Still, I too love it.

I kinda like the Resident Evil movies. It's just easy entertainment you can relax to.

JCBFGD

Jul 10, 2011
The Room, Hobo With a Shotgun, Santa Conquers the Martians, Plan 9 from Outer Space, and Manos The Hands of Fate are amazingly horribly good-bad movies.

GameChanger said:
Event Horizon, Pitch Black, Pandorum, The Johnny English films. They are incredibly bad, but I am a sucker for dark space horror, and the Johnny English films.... I don't know, I had a good laugh at some moments.
Hey, Pitch Black is awesome! And so is the sequel, despite what everyone else says.