What are some good college games?

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
By college games, I mean games with some great multiplayer co-op or even versus. I'm hoping to build up a stock pile of these games so when I head back to college me and my roommate have some interesting stuff to do.

The systems we will have with us are:
Pc's
Xbox
Ps2
Gamecube
Ps3

Anything from rpg's to just straight shooters will do great. I recently picked up Baldur's Gate and that has proven to be great fun. Anyone got any good games for this situation?

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Me and my friend had a great time with the following:

Mortal Kombat (2011): The Test Your Luck mode mostly, so much fun.

Lords of Magic: An old school strategy game where everyone controls a civilization representing an element. Lots of fun. Some elements are natural allies so you can play it as a versus or as a co-op. You have to use something like Gameranger to create an online game, but it's worth it!

Torchlight 2: great action RPG for up to four players, great fun

Path of Exile: free-to-play ARPG. Also lots of fun.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
When I read the thread title, the first thing that came to mind was "ULTIMATE FRISBEE, BRO!" /facepalm

Anywho... three of my roommates were gamers. We didn't really have any specific games that we played together, though. I played some Co-Op Resident Evil 5 on PS3 with one of them, I played a disturbing amount of Earth Defense Force 2017 co-op on X-Box with another, one of them raided with my guild in WoW...

A lot of times we just played single player games and gathered around watching. But granted, we had like six TVs and sound systems set up in the lounge of our suite... so at any given time we usually had multiple people playing different games on different systems. Between our four dorms and the lounge, we probably used more electricity at any given time than the rest of the people on the floor combined.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Halo, any of 'em, and Castle Crashers are the two ultimate Co-Op games on the Xbox 360. The latter is a 2D, side-scrolling slash 'em up in a fantasy setting with RPG elements and -gasp- humour.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Me and my friends played a lot of Timesplitters 2 at uni. It's a good game to play together anyway, and it's the sort of thing you can easily attach a drinking game to if you fancy. Supports up to 4 players and versus mode has bots to make up the rest. Basic stuff like drink if you die, 2 fingers if killed by the monkey, down it if you kill yourself. You don't need to, the game is pretty fun anyway, but that's what we used it for.

Halo games are pretty good for it, though it is a shame you'll only be able to get the first 2 on the Xbox. Still, they are good games in their own right.

I don't know how you feel about MMOs, but we used to have a lot of fun setting up all our PCs in the same room and playing something like Rift. Naturally you don't need to be in the same room to play, but it can be a good laugh. Just be aware that if you have several gaming computers running good quality graphics in the same room you might want to crack a window or it will get hot over a weekend.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Fighting games! Definitely need some fighting games!
Tekken Tag 2 is the latest Tekken, with a huge roster! It's easy to pick up and play, hard to master though, but it's great for both newcomers and fans alike!
Other great titles include Mortal kombat 2011, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, DOA5, KOF13, Fight night Champion, Super Street fighter 4... I'm trying to list games with big roster, because smaller roster doesn't seem to interest most casual fighting game fans.

Also, racing games!! Mario Kart for Gamecube. You can try Burnout Revenge or Dominator (Burnout paradise has no split screen) or even SSX3 and Twisted Metal.
Sport games like FIFA is great too if you're a fan of soccer.
Arcade games have some great titles like Castle Crasher, Phantom Breaker on XBLA.

Torchlight 2 has 16 player coop if I remember correctly?

Then coop shooters like Borderlands, Gears of war 3 or Halo.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
I've recently played Artemis bridge simulator and had a blast with my friends doing so.It's basically a simulation of a spaceship bridge, where each player has a system to operate, while the captain simply sits and watches what's happening- and issues orders accordingly.
It may not be for everyone, but it's pretty immersive, if your willing to overlook some things and you have enough people to try it out.

snowpuppy

Feb 18, 2011
0space. Very very fun. The more the merrier, just hook up some spare keyboards though.
It's a zero G deathmatch with very fun physics and exciting combat.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Resistance for the PS3 has nice offline multiplayer, probably not much of a community as such nowadays, but levels are nice, and does the floating weapon spawn thing. Resistance 2 has really solid class-based co-op and also accomodates offline play. Those are my recommendations.

Dash85

Mar 21, 2010
If you can get the stuff, Rock Band/Guitar Hero are good fun, especially if you drink. Mario Party, Smash Bros, Soul Calibur or any sort of one on one fighting games. MARIO CART! Get Mario Cart. I can't think of much else that hasn't been said.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
The one thing I found in college dorms is that if you have your door open and play some Smash Bros (we played Melee), then people will come. My roommate and I met a lot of people that way. One guy who was campaigning for president of the student council was going door to door getting votes and he ended up in our room and put campaigning on hold for like an hour because no one can resist Smash Bros

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Some good coop titles I recommend are: Trine and Trine 2, Borderlands and Borderlands 2, Portal 2, Left for Dead and Left for Dead 2, Civilization 4 and Civilization 5, and Lord of the Rings: War in the North (surprisingly).

As for some fun, quick competitive PC MP, you can't go wrong with: Chivalry, 'Pirates, Vikings and Knights 2' and of course, Valve's TF2 and CS:S.

Stinovitch

Apr 23, 2013
Warframe isn't a bad game and it's free on steam. Other than that Borderlands 2 and Team Fortress 2 are some cool games.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I've heard studying is great.

Besides that: Tales of Symphonia. Get that. It wont be easy to find, but it's one of my favourite games. Oh, also Tales of Graces F for PS3 and the upcoming Tales of Xillia.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
Any game you can make a drinking game out of. No. Seriously. Sports games are good for that as are shooters. Then you have the standard Mario Party and what not.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Super Smash Bros Melee: Awesome Multiplayer
Time Splitters Future Perfect: co-op is nice, so is versus
Halo (1,2...): co-op and versus both good
Mario Party 4 and 5: get a little alcohol and this fun game becomes the worst versus game ever :p
Mario Kart: fun time
Tales of Symphonia: badass story with co-op playability
Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3: will give you the most epic versus matches if you both get somewhat good at it.

The

Jan 24, 2012
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. If you liked Smash Bros, I think it's safe to say you'll like this one as well. It's pretty good for versus.

Someone already recommended L4D, so I'll recommend Payday: The Heist (a second one will come out later). It's basically L4D, but with heists and police officers. They even have special police in the vein of special infected: the bomb suit guy, the special ops ninja guy, the taser guy, and the shield guy.

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
Many excellent suggestions in this thread. Some I would have said as well.

When I was in college, Smash Brothers and Mario Kart were kings (any system, though N64 was our system of choice at the time). But the gamecube versions are great too.

I can also recommend Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 for the gamecube. Ultimate muscle is a crazy game too. Any good wrestling game would be fun too.

Hope this helps.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
It's been a while. I played an awful lot of Tekken in college, along with sports games. Mostly it was Tekken 2 and 3 and super Tennis on the snes, along with a bunch of sim city. I'd go with fighting games and sports titles, and not just the big sports but stuff like tennis and golf as well. Throw in some four player games like mario kart and a shooter if any have 4 player splitscreen like goldeneye did.

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
Whenever my friend comes over we often end up playing Star Wars Battlefront. Everything else I got has been said.