What Are Some Good Female Bands?

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
So lately I have been looking for some good female rock bands. Any time period or genre as long as it fits into the rock meta-genre. For my purposes I am looking for bands that are exclusively female or at least fronted by a woman. If there are any albums you particularly like or think people should hear please suggest those as well. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Also can you let me know if they are composed entirely of female members or just fronted by one.

kimba_lion

Mar 12, 2010
lacuna coil: all albums
within temptation: all albums
paramore
arch enemy
angtoria

just to name a few that i love

Croix Sinistre

Oct 25, 2009
i suggest:
Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin (melodic death metal)
The Distillers - Coral Fang (punk)
Gallhammer - Ill Innocence (black metal all female group from japan!)
Horrorpops - Bring it on! (psychobilly)
The Creepshow - Run for your life (psychobilly)
Jack of Jill - Clear Hearts, Grey Flowers (punk...ish? all chick band)

and a couple of other female-fronted bands that ive had a falling out from but are decent nontheless:

Nightwish
Within Temptation

both are symphonic metal bands

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Uh... The Material and Flyleaf?
I think. I don't know what genre is what.
I just know that I like them a lot.

Also, both aren't all-female. They just have female lead singers.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
As much as I love Arch Enemy (I own ALL their special editions of ALL their albums), I have to say that Holy Moses is where it's at for female fronted extreme metal. Sabina Classen is a beast, and a major influence on Angela Gossow. In turn, the 'Queen of Metal' Doro was an influence on Sabina.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Most of the acts on my last.fm page [http://www.last.fm/user/Ayala1977] are female solo artists or female fronted bands. Mostly singer-songwriter type stuff but some "rock-ier" stuff as well.

NoriYuki Sato

May 26, 2009
been ninja's a lot here, but here's my list

Arch Enemy
Lacuna Coil
Within Temptation
Halestorm ((my buddy went to school with the vocalist))
Epica
Nightwish
DAMN (Diary About My Nightmares)
Luna Mortis
Jack Off Jill
Otep
Echoes of Eternity
Flyleaf

those are off the top of my head, i may have more...

oh yeah, and anything by Akira Yamaoaka and Yoko Kanno ((anime musicians))

Bucht

Apr 22, 2010
Girlschool if you like Heavy Metal,
Darkend Nocturn Slaughtercult(female fronted) if you like Black Metal
Nocturnal(female fronted) if you like Thrash Metal.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Garbage definatly. I dont know if you would like them, but Ladytron is also a kick ass group. Neither is all female though. (1 female 3 male and 2 female 2 male respectively) Oh yeah, the singers for both are women, which seems to be your primary goal.

ChaoticLegion

Mar 19, 2009
Just out of curiosity... why does it make a difference whether the band is all female or just female fronted? You can't tell the difference by listening so I just don't understand the importance of categorising the two......

OT: I think all of the ones I was going to mention have been said but i'll put them down anyway:
1)Nightwish
2)Evanescence
3)Within Temptation
4)Lacuna Coil

All of the above are female-fronted, not all female. (Seriously, please explain why the difference is so important to me).

Croix Sinistre

Oct 25, 2009
ENKC said:
As much as I love Arch Enemy (I own ALL their special editions of ALL their albums), I have to say that Holy Moses is where it's at for female fronted extreme metal. Sabina Classen is a beast, and a major influence on Angela Gossow. In turn, the 'Queen of Metal' Doro was an influence on Sabina.
Still, you have to admit, Angela can growl better than even most males can.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
ChaoticLegion said:
Just out of curiosity... why does it make a difference whether the band is all female or just female fronted? You can't tell the difference by listening so I just don't understand the importance of categorising the two......

OT: I think all of the ones I was going to mention have been said but i'll put them down anyway:
1)Nightwish
2)Evanescence
3)Within Temptation
4)Lacuna Coil

All of the above are female-fronted, not all female. (Seriously, please explain why the difference is so important to me).

No huge reason, curiosity for the most part. Another is that despite the fact there is no inherent difference in musical capability between men and women there still seems to be far fewer bands that are exclusively female then exclusively male.