What are the best games to come out in recent years?

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Gatx said:
sextus the crazy said:
Saints Row 2 (the PC version is fixed and runs like a dream)
Are you serious? It always irked the hell out of me that I could run Assassin's Creed on high and it looked gorgeous but I had to turn everything in Saints Row 2 down to low and it still just barely ran.
It worked fine for me, so I assume when I got it (a year or two ago) It had already been fixed with patches or my computer was just good enough to run it.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Currently getting real into Stalker: Call of Pripyat. The game is pretty brilliant, and you should be able to get it cheap. If you do decide to get it, get the Complete Mod for it.

Bastion
Binding of Isaac
Magicka
Sequence
Dead Rising 2
Portal 2

Nier is a bit weird. Its a game that plays on the tropes of many different game genres. As long as you give up on the fetch quests early, the game is quite interesting, rather than just frustrating. Still need to do the alt replay though.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Persona 3 Portable (shame you have to track down a PSP to play this)
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Disgaea 4
Catherine
Skyrim
Fallout New Vegas
Monster Hunter Tri

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
Karutomaru said:
I'm not seeing a lot of Wii game recommendations here...
lemme fix that. Skyward Sword, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Rhythm Heaven Fever (Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise if you're in Europe), and the Bit.Trip series (downloadable). These are just the games I've played though.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Llil said:
No metion of The Witcher 2 yet? This must be corrected. So yeah, The Witcher 2. It's easily one of my favourites of the RPG/Action-RPG genre. Fun combat system, interesting characters, and choises that have some actual impact on the story.
Only one mention of the Witcher 2 so far? This must be corrected. So yeah, The Witcher 2.

Also,

Deus Ex: HR
Mass Effect 1
Alan Wake
the Total War series and their mods

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Llil said:
No metion of The Witcher 2 yet? This must be corrected. So yeah, The Witcher 2. It's easily one of my favourites of the RPG/Action-RPG genre. Fun combat system, interesting characters, and choises that have some actual impact on the story.
this totaly. its rare that i find an RPG where i really enjoy the combat. i also love all the references to the books and recurring characters.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
webepoop said:
and the Bit.Trip series (downloadable).
You can get Bit.Trip Complete now which has all 6 games on a single disc with bonus levels,unlockable stuff and a soundtrack cd for roughly the same price as buying the games individually;)

A couple more..

Alpha Protocol(yeah it's flawed but it's also one of my favourite games this gen.Plus it's dirt cheap now so everyone should at least try this game)
No More Heroes:Desperate Struggle(presuming you played the first one)

Plenty of people have already mentioned the big names so I won't bother repeating them

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
In no particular order:

The Witcher 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Portal 2
The Arkham Games
Assassin's Creed 2
Uncharted 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect trilogy

And the DayZ mod for ARMA 2. Seriously. Oh, and Skyrim.

Karutomaru said:
I think the only thing that's surprising about that is that you still seem to find that surprising.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
I'm not going to include any games from existing series because that takes the fun out of it.

Borderlands
Dragon Age: Origins
Trine
Dungeon Defenders

I'm probably forgetting loads.

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
I'm seeing too much mainstream consumer love. Time to bring in some Niche game loving!

Rune Factory Series: (Games out since 2010-2011 in North America?)
- Rune Factory Frontier (Wii)
- Rune Factory 3 (DS)
- Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny (Wii and PS3)

Harvest Moon Meets Dungeon Crawling RPG. Truly a brilliant combination. I went into RF1 without expectations, and 3 days later I realized "Oh snap, my game time says 60 hours, no wonder I'm so hungry, I haven't moved from this spot except to plug in the charger!"

I average 120 hours per playthrough of Frontier, and plan to beat it 13 times to unlock everything in the "Memories" Gallery, to give you an idea of how good this series is.

While most of the other games feature a more Isometric view like older Zelda or even Recettear, Tides of Destiny is more... Kingdom Hearts-ish. Yeah. A lot of variety in this series.

If you're a fan of Harvest Moon (I never was) RPGs (why I tried RF at all) or both (yes, especially if both) then you should really give this series an earnest try.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Bastion
Civilization V
SpaceChem
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Fallout: New Vegas
Dirt 3

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
The two games that come to my mind immediately are Bastion and Nier, both of which are superb action-RPGs that really should have set the world on fire more than they did. This is especially true in the case of Nier, which featured the best story that any video game has told so far. Both games, though, are incredibly well-done and deeply affecting, provided that you understand them.

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
Karutomaru said:
webepoop said:
Karutomaru said:
lemme fix that. Skyward Sword, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Rhythm Heaven Fever (Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise if you're in Europe), and the Bit.Trip series (downloadable). These are just the games I've played though.
I'm not seeing a lot of Wii games here that would actually qualify for best of the generation. Are you kidding me with that? A bunch of platformers, a the weakest Zelda game in the series (though that's debatable), and a collection of minigames? I don't care how much simple fun they are, calling them the best of recent years is a gigantic overstatement. We're talking about games with excellent stories, huge interactable worlds, and ground-breaking use of a system's hardware. Like Xenoblade!
I mainly chose these because I had fun with them. I hate the whole "best of" thing, and then saying platformers and other types of games don't count because they aren't open world and what not. these games set out to do something, and they did them really, really well.

maybe these are the best platformers of the generation, maybe this is the best zelda game of the generation, maybe this is the best collection of minigames this generation maybe we should all stop arguing and live in peace because others have a different opinion.

another great game this generation, although not on the wii, is Super Meat Boy.