What are the games you are most hype for currently?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Meiam said:
Dreiko said:
You not notice Dragon Quest XI or something? Looks pretty godlike lol.
Port of portable game, not really interested. I find most portable JRPG to be shovel ware with lackluster gameplay that put all there egg into writing which is usually hit or miss for me. I found DQ9 to be far inferior to 8 for example.
That's incorrect. XI is a game that's being simultaneously developed for ps4 and 3ds, with each version being very different and having unique features. The ps4 version is fully a console game. A port is something that is originally made for one system and then transferred to another, which is not the case here. Also, this is Dragon Quest. Their quality is always top notch irrespective of whatever hardware they are found on. You shouldn't base quality-based factors on just a system without actually inquiring about the specifics of a game and just prejudge it, that's highly illogical, especially in the modern era where developing games for consoles tends to be prohibitively expensive for smaller studios. A lot of gems are out on the portables too which stand up perfectly well aside many classics.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dreiko said:
That's incorrect. XI is a game that's being simultaneously developed for ps4 and 3ds, with each version being very different and having unique features. The ps4 version is fully a console game. A port is something that is originally made for one system and then transferred to another, which is not the case here. Also, this is Dragon Quest. Their quality is always top notch irrespective of whatever hardware they are found on. You shouldn't base quality-based factors on just a system without actually inquiring about the specifics of a game and just prejudge it, that's highly illogical, especially in the modern era where developing games for consoles tends to be prohibitively expensive for smaller studios. A lot of gems are out on the portables too which stand up perfectly well aside many classics.
That just sound like Ni no kuni all over again, which looked pretty, but was definitely hamstrung by it's past as a portable game, with incredibly shallow gameplay and story. Or I am setsuna, same problem. Or digimon cyber sleuth, again lackluster game all around.?Everything I see about its gameplay seems like it's just got a coat of shine on it, in battle your character can move around, unlike the portable, but there doesn't seems to be a point to that and all your party member look like they just stand there, so it seems like just a regular turn based game but they tried to hide that fact.

I don't dismiss portable JRPG for some specific reasons, I could come up with one if needs be, but rather I do so out of experience. I got a drawer full of portable JRPG and vast majority barely incite a "meh" from me. I can forgive shallow gameplay/story from a 15-20 year old games, but I expect more nowadays.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Just wanting to see We Happy Few finish up and be ready for primetime.

Also a little game called Into The Breach I'm really liking the look of.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
American Tanker said:
#1: Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown: As explained by @Meiam up there: 1) We're going back to Strangereal, which is awesome; 2) it's the old dev teams from the PS2-era of the franchise, reassembled for this game. If it doesn't turn out to be a masterpiece, I'm going to be really sad.
So we're going back to 'plausible but fictional' settings? And yes, if it's the same teams from 4 and 5, I might be inclined to let it come back home...

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Pyre - Although it looks a bit strange and is not my usual sort of game judging by what little promo material has been released, the game is being made by the same devs as Bastion and Transistor which alone is enough to get me excited. If nothing else it's guaranteed a great soundtrack and likely some beautiful visuals as well.

Pillars of Eternity 2 - I thought the original was good if not great but that there was a ton of potential for a sequel. Well, the sequel's been announced and I very much agree with just about every change and improvement they've announced for the sequel so far. Looks extremely promising in my eyes.

Mount & Blade Bannerlord - Because the series is amazing and I'm patient.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I won't go with hyped, because I know better. There's a couple of games I'm gonna be keeping my eye on and hope they turn out good.

Wolfenstein the New Colossus looks interesting. I enjoyed The New Order and still need to play (Fear) The Old Blood (Fear it!).

Pyre, mostly because I liked Basitian and Transistor and hope Pyre is yet another win.

Hellblade: Sensua's Sacrifice looks like it could be really good if it's done right. Heavy, Deliberate combat with an emphasis on the cost of war(PTSD is apparently a big theme). Now they need to pull it off.

And finally, I hope Assassins Creed: Origins is the game that finally makes me give a shit about the series again(because nothing since Black Flag has hooked me).

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
After being burned one too many times I'd be an idiot to fall for hype. Having said that...

Wolfenstein 2 - I loved the new ones and this just seems more of the same. I'm down with that.
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire - The first game wasn't perfect, mainly it was very generic, but I still loved it so naturally I want this one.
Metroid: Samus Returns - About fucking time!
Metroid Prime 4 - About fucking time!
Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord - If just manages to be Warband but better I'm happy.
Middle Earth Shadow of War - First game was surprisingly awesome. And so far this seems to its predecessor what AC2 was to AC1.
Xcom 2 War of the Chosen - I love Xcom 2, want more.
Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle - I love Xcom 2, want more.
Super Mario Odyssey - Mario becomes a parasitic brain worm and can take over a Tyrannosaurus Rex's body. 'nough said.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Skyrim VR. A friend recently sold me his PSVR rig for cheap and VR is pretty wild once you get over the motion sickness. Farpoint, as short as it was, is an intense experience. Not too excited to pay 80 bucks for a game I already own on a previous gen console, however.

The Persistence also looks pretty bonkers. I dunno if it will have Aim support but I hope so because using that thing is surprisingly intuitive.

Jan 19, 2016
I don't really do hype, because the video game industry is nothing if not a perpetual source of disappointment. So while there are numerous games I am interested in and will probably purchase at some point, the only game that I have actual feelings about is The Last of Us Part 2. I think it's fair to say that the rest of the videogame industry could be sucked into a quantum singularity, never to be seen again, I would be fine with that so long as TLoU2 comes out.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Not really hyped for anything. Triple-A games have mostly been a disappointment for me in the past years. And the few that do look really good for this year don't align much with my interests. So yea...

yelferj

Jul 5, 2017
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Dragon Ball Fighter Z
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Fire Emblem Warriors

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
XCOM 2: War of the Chosen - I love XCOM 2, and more is always merrier. i still need to finish my LW2 playthrough, though.

Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare - I am extremely interested to see where bringing the flood back, goes. This can either go one of two ways -
1. The Flood will remain a threat after the expansion, opening up the window for more Flood in the main games.
2. The Flood will be exterminated, disappointing pretty much everybody, and wasting a fantastic opportunity.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (EA) - I actually quite enjoyed the first game, and this looks like a huge improvement, with all 3 eras. Hopefully they can work out that whole "Pay 2 win" thing that has been going around, though
Destiny 2 - I reasonably liked the first game, but being able to play it at 60+ FPS on my PC with friends is going to be fantastic

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Laggyteabag said:
Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare - I am extremely interested to see where bringing the flood back, goes. This can either go one of two ways -
1. The Flood will remain a threat after the expansion, opening up the window for more Flood in the main games.
2. The Flood will be exterminated, disappointing pretty much everybody, and wasting a fantastic opportunity.
Are "we" (and yes, I'm using the royal "we") really rooting for the Flood to come back? I mean, I liked the Flood as adversaries, but do they need to be brought back in a major way, least given how Halo 3 ended? Obviously they're likely still around in some places such as the Halos, but at the least, it would feel out of place in a hypothetical Halo 6, if we assume that's going to wrap up the issue of the Created. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I liked fighting the Prometheans in Halo 5 (less so in 4), so while bringing the Flood back could work (if only because different tactics are used), the Flood feel kind of nerfed these days, in light of what we know about them being the Precursors effectively, not to mention their use of Precursor tech in the actual war against the Forerunners.

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. I've been working my way through the franchise, starting with Wolf3D (but not with the old Castle Wolfenstein games though) and it's been entertaining.