what are the names of manga/anime that when you hear it, you just cant stop blabbering about it?

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
DracoSuave said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Dragon Ball Z.
If I wanted to watch an anime series where nothing happens for 30 minutes I'll go watch Lucky Star.

The moment they stuck a Z on Dragon Ball it changed into something terrible.

My list of recommendations would include El-Hazard: The Magnificent World and Cowboy Bebop for different reasons.

Tenchi Muyo's pretty decent as well, and makes a good study on where harem-series come from.
I really don't care, I watched it as a kid and loved it.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Sean Hollyman said:
I had already graduated high school before the better series that preceded it, Dragon Ball, came out. By the time Dragon Ball Z had come out, I'd already had been watching other series, waiting eagerly for new episodes of Evangelion to be translated and locally available... after going to the Anime-specific rental place and picking up entire series of things.

I can agree that Dragon Ball Z is probably the best anime series if it's the only one you've watched... but Sailor Moon was better paced. And I used to watch Ranma 1/2, during a first season where they'd have five minutes of cherry trees and establishing shots before cutting back to Kunou staring down Ranma in the same pose they were in at the beginning of the episode.

Inu-Yasha isn't as good as Ranma... While Rumiko invented the star-crossed-lovers rom-com series and can't be accused of doing 'what's popular'... she had a better series in Ranma, and Urusei was funnier, and Maison Ikkoku was more touching. She did it more successfually 3 times before... it just didn't feel different enough to warrant existance. If there's anything she should have focused more on, it's the Mermaid's series... there's just not enough there and it was certainly a good diversion from her usual formula.

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
O-Parts Hunter, Ah! My goddess, Air Gear, Bakuman, Black Cat, BLEACH, Buso Renkin, Eyeshield 21, Fullmetal Alchemist, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, MAR, Medaka Box, Naruto (#1 fav manga :) ), Petshop of horrors, Project arms, Psyren, Rave MAster, Fairy Tail, Rurouni Kenshin, Toriko, Otoyomegatari and Bartender.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
DracoSuave said:
Sean Hollyman said:
I had already graduated high school before the better series that preceded it, Dragon Ball, came out. By the time Dragon Ball Z had come out, I'd already had been watching other series, waiting eagerly for new episodes of Evangelion to be translated and locally available... after going to the Anime-specific rental place and picking up entire series of things.

I can agree that Dragon Ball Z is probably the best anime series if it's the only one you've watched... but Sailor Moon was better paced. And I used to watch Ranma 1/2, during a first season where they'd have five minutes of cherry trees and establishing shots before cutting back to Kunou staring down Ranma in the same pose they were in at the beginning of the episode.

Yeah I didn't really watch much anime, I did watch Sailor Moon though. The original Dragon Ball was better for story and plot than DBZ IMO. I watched animes like Shin Chan, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Beyblade..

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
Antitonic said:
Ranma 1/2. It's got a quirky enough story that my friends are interested to hear about, if not necessarily read for themselves.

They're hardly the most well-read people though, if that's discouraging you.

I mean, how can you go wrong with Martial Arts Calligraphy, or Martial Arts Food Delivery?
Beat me to it, you don't practice Anything Goes Forum Posting, do you?

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
The following (and then I'll prepare a shield for the shower of insults about how pretentious I am):

Grave of the Fireflies
Ergo Proxy
Seirei no Moribito
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Hourou Musuko
Fuujin no Monogatari
Le Chevalier D'Eon
RahXephon
Gankutsuou
Nope.
You dodged the bullet by not having NGE on that list - so instead of it being pretentious it merely presents itself as something slightly classier than usual.

OT:
Bebop
Perfect Blue
Bleach - manga only.....don't judge me - it's fun, I enjoy it, and me and an art student mate spend hours analysing it and trying to predict what is going to happen in the long run - just for shits 'n gigs.
Berserk
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
Perfect Blue
Kaiji
Perfect Blue
To my eternal shame - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Perfect MOTHERFUCKING Blue

I can pretty much talk about any of those for hours....its crazy....
Particularly Bebop actually.

aei_haruko

Jun 12, 2011
Kibz said:
As for me, it would be One Piece, Fate-Stay Night (Alothough it was mainly anime), and Clannad (Man i cried SO MUCH when i watched this).
Naruto, without it I would have no girlfriend

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL and Gurren Lagann. The first one because it just does everything incredibly well (ending...perhaps notwithstanding, depending on your point of view) , the second because it's downright great, the third because it's both heartwarming and awesome and the third because, well, it's like someone built an entire universe that runs on the rule of cool.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

I will never get over this anime...unless something comes out later that's somehow more awesome, but I will still never forget my experience with this show.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
thePyro_13 said:
Beat me to it, you don't practice Anything Goes Forum Posting, do you?
Oh no, I've been found out! Quickly, Crouch Of The Wild Tiger!

Youthius

Jun 7, 2010
Koro Koro Soushi, it's rare that somone talks about, it's even more rare to find somone that liked it.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Baccano!, and Spice & Wolf would be my favoured topics. Maybe also Steins;Gate and how - contrary to what one would've come to expect from Nitro+ adaptions - it's actually something that works in anime form.

Kibz said:
Fate-Stay Night (Alothough it was mainly anime)
If you liked the anime, and haven't already done so, then I'd highly recommend playing the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.223721-TYPE-MOON-Review-anniversary-Fate-Stay-Night] too. It expands considerably on its world and story, featuring two additional scenarios (one of which has also been animated as a movie) as to how the grail war could play out.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Berserk
Spice and Wolf

I like unconventional animes. Shows where people don't get punched and turn into stars. If I see another fan I will immediately seek to do some handshaking.

And sue me, my super conventional guilty pleasure is Bleach. But that one I keep under my hat most times.