What are things you dislike that you try so hard to like or pretend to like?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Dear fellow Escapist of the Escapist Forums,

I am writing to confess a matter that I have been dealing with on my head. Some may not like what I am about to say but this is not to create a flame war of any kind just one persons opinion to another. You can also wish to challenge what ever I say and add whatever you feel in a came manner...

I dislike Star Wars... well I don't hate it nor do I love it, it just never gelled with me and I have seen the original troilogy and thought "whats all the hype about", and saw the prequels and said to myself... Ankin is sooooooooo dull and yet be becomes *spoiler alert* Darth Vader? This guy? Also I don't care about the news or any info about Star Wars Episode 7, because I know I won't watch it.

I... think in general that the character of Superman is boring evening though I liked Man of Steel. We get it, he is meant to be the Jesus of the comic book world (I think) but why all of those powers and abilities and YET weak to a single rock that was formed on his home world? How does that work.

Batman... well he just doesn't connect with me at all. Apart from the Dark Knight, the whole trilogy is blah and meh.

Lastly, I try to like cats but... nope I just can't, they are lazy and smug at times. PeTA don't hunt me down.

As I have stated some of them may upset or offend (or it may not, I dunno). Some may even agree and I want to make it perfectly clear that I will never attack anyone who likes the things that I dislike nor will I ever attack them for it because we all find joy in something and I like seeing people happy. SO going back to you, yes you the person reading this, what are things you dislike but you try ever so hard to like but you just can't for fears of either missing out or being isolated from peers that you end up just pretending.

Comment below and thank you very much. Also I just want to keep this lighthearted because I don't want any hate speeches and other deeply offensive matters popping up.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I tried to like the Prime Minister of Britain. Really, I did.

In the end, though, I just couldn't do it. Now I feel like a monster. Am I a monster?

[HEADING=2]I'm Blue Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die...[/HEADING]

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Nothing.

If I hate something I'm pretty out loud and proud with my hatred, and once I've decided I hate it then I never stop hating it.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Barbas said:
I tried to like the Prime Minister of Britain. Really, I did.

In the end, though, I just couldn't do it. Now I feel like a monster. Am I a monster?

I tried a similar thing with Nick Clegg when he was trying to win the election and appeal to young voters like myself at the time and look how well that turned out. It gave me a good look for the first time on how politics really work and this was my first time voting cause I finally reached the voting age. Broken promises and disappoints. I know you can't get everything you want but not a U-turn on everything when you get into power.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
There's nothing wrong with disliking something, just so long as you don't move on to attacking people that do like it and recognize that it's entirely possible for them to see something in it that you can't.

I may adore cats and think they're silly and fluffy and cuddly, but I don't blame people who don't like them because they can be prissy and many spend the majority of their time sleeping or laying around.

Anyway.

I'm on the fence with it right now, but the Baldur's Gate games would probably apply. I'm on my third attempt to really get into them, and I've managed to get further this time than I did before, but the mechanics and UI just make me cringe.

Diablo II as well, perhaps. Maybe it's just because I (as with Baldur's Gate) didn't grow up with it and it's just really dated now, but I don't find it anywhere near as fun or engaging to play as Diablo III.

Oh, and the Marvel Cineverse. Comic books can barely handle comic-book-canon, while the novelty of accurately replicating the feel in the format of film is admittedly awesome, do we really expect that it's going to remain sustainable? Really I'm just more bitter that all of the Marvel films have been getting repeatedly hailed as the saviors of Hollywood and superhero films and that they can do no wrong while all of their contenders are abject shite because of reasons. It's not so much that I don't like the films or anything, but I find myself unable to care about them anymore.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
The Lord of the Rings (and The Hobbit), due to the majority of my friends loving it. I find it so overwrought, but I?ve sat through a marathon of the LOTR trilogy because my friend wanted to watch it with me, and I watched the first Hobbit film in the cinema because I thought it might be something different. But no, it?s the same mind-numbingly empty experience of elves and shit wandering around mountains for some forgettable reasons, and the only thing I like in it is Smeagol/Gollum.

Ed Miliband. Because I want to vote for Labour in the next election, and I?ve tried to see some element of his older (better) brother David in him, but?he?s just so ineffectual that the only reason I?d be voting for him is because he?s the best of the bad bunch. I don?t feel sorry for him, because he cheated us out of what could?ve been our best Prime Minister since Tony Blair (before 9/11, of course).

Iron Man. I like the costume and all, but I just never connected with Tony Stark, or that woman Gwyneth Paltrow played, or the plot, or anything else. I just find Iron Man to be a less interesting version of Batman, and I know how oversimplified that sounds, but he just never grabbed me the way other superheroes have.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Ranch Dressing.

I have yet to understand what is inside this white sauce that makes my tongue catch on fire. Literally; I've eaten different forms of spicy foods and nothing has been more unbearable than ranch dressing. The easy solution is to ask for a salad without dressing, but lo and behold, I get a salad drenched in ranch dressing. I tried to order it on the side to no avail.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Paradox SuXcess said:
I dislike Star Wars... well I don't hate it nor do I love it, it just never gelled with me and I have seen the original troilogy and thought "whats all the hype about"
I hear you, brother!

Oh crap.

[sub][sub]Maybe if we talk like this the others won't notice. But yes, I too am totally underwhelmed by Star Wars. Solidarity.[/sub][/sub]

Joking aside, it does feel like a bit of a dirty little secret seeing as Star Wars seems to be almost universally loved in nerdom.

Other than that, I don't think there are any major ones. I pretended to like a few specific games my ex absolutely adored (because he showed them to me, convinced I'd love them and I didn't have the heart to disappoint him. It was early on in the relationship, what can I say?) but that ended up with me pretty much having to play them all the time and being bored to tears, so I shan't be doing that again :p

I never enjoy pen and paper RPGs as much as I convince myself I will, but then again I have had a couple of campaigns I've really enjoyed, so I've probably just been playing the wrong ones in the wrong groups. *shrugs*

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Bullet For My Valentine. For a long time I wrote them off as being dull, whiney radio metalcore crap, but I realised that I was being a total douche about music after discovering that Slipknot (who I had also written off for being a gimmicky band) are actually fucking incredible. But... Nope. BFMV are a giant crock of shite. I did try, but aside from the odd decent riff it's generic as balls at best and irritatingly whiney at worst. They turned out to be exactly what I thought they were. And they're Welsh. Boo!

Rich Webb

Dec 8, 2010
The Uncharted series.

Tried them all and they just feel like massive effort to play. I can see it's well made but I just can't seem to care about it. I usually get about halfway through on my first play of the game and then never load it up again.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Rich Webb said:
The Uncharted series.

Tried them all and they just feel like massive effort to play. I can see it's well made but I just can't seem to care about it. I usually get about halfway through on my first play of the game and then never load it up again.
I agree with you on that one and maybe also because Nathan Drake causes more problems than he actually solves. While playing the second game, paused the game and thought out loud saying,

"You know what Nathan, half of the crap that is happening now, wouldn't be happening in the first place if you just MINDED YOUR OWN BUSINESS and not solve the f***ing clue for the bad guys and then get caught by them. I know people are inquisitive at times but you are taking the f***ing piss now"

So you are right, it's a damn effort to play and the third game even has the side characters questioning everything also. Uncharted isn't great.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I guess there's most mainstream music. But only because when I listen to it, I'm working and I have to be professional.

I swear to god... if I have to listen to that damned Katy Perry song about tiger eyeballs, I'm going to throttle someone.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
Sherlock. Sherlock Holmes is my favorite fictional character of all time. Sherlock is really well written, really well shot, has a cast of amazing actors going all in on it and is a faithful adaptation of the spirit of the stories to the modern day. It's good. Really damn good.

Then why in the hell does it produce such anger in me? Every time I've tried to give it a chance (and believe me, it's been at least 5 or 6 times) I've just gotten extremely angry at it. I can't stand these bloody characters. I really despise them. I don't know who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing, but it's not Sherlock Holmes. This is really strange for me: When I don't like something I don't get angry, I just get disappointed that I'm missing out on enjoying this thing. Sherlock is a fantastic piece of television, and is the only piece of media outside hateful propaganda that's ever made me seethe with rage at anyone but a villain.

Captcha: keep calm. I swear, this damn thing reads my posts.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Well, I don't really pretend to like it, but I'd have to say Epica. I love symphonic metal. Nightwish, Within Temptation, Kamelot, Leaves' Eyes, Delain, and so on, I just eat that stuff up. As such, given how much they're hyped, I thought I would love Epica too. Nope. They just seemed very paint-by-the-numbers without really adding anything new to the genre.

Though to be fair, I only listened to the Divine Conspiracy and Design Your Universe, as those were the only two albums iTunes had at the time. I have heard their live album and liked some of the stuff on it, so maybe their older albums are better.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
People. For the most part I really can't stand people, yet I pretend I am okay with them in order to get by. Don't get me wrong, I do have friends and acquaintances who's company I do enjoy, but most people can just go jump off a bridge.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Zira said:
Skyrim.
I loved Oblivion, I loved Fallout 3, so it was just logical that I'd like Skyrim too.
But... but I didn't. No matter how hard I tried, it just didn't manage to sweep me off into a fantasy world like Oblivion and Fallout did. It was just me sitting on a computer playing a fantasy game.
Yeah, that's weird isn't it? I loved Oblivion to bits, still do, had a good replay of it not long ago and enjoyed it as much as I ever had, but Skyrim...yes, I played it loads in the beginning, but there's something hollow about it in comparison.

Anyway, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs had me thinking "Why aren't I liking this...? I should like this!" all the way through. After I had given it some thought and gained some clarity from fellows who had also played it on release I realised it just wasn't a good sequel. Not a bad game, just an example of there being a lot of icing but barely any cake.

I remember trying to like football (the one where you actually use your foot) when i was younger because it would gain me approval from my peers. It even got to the extent that one of the more popular kids asked everyone at my table what was better, Pokemon or football...this isn't my proudest moment.
You see, I loved Pokemon, and had no interest in football, and I had a friend, probably my first "best" friend, she also loved Pokemon, so she answered just that, and I answered football. What a dick I was. Stupid primary school me.

Yeah, I even tried playing football with some of the other guys at lunch, sometimes. I gave it an honest effort, but when you suck, like I did, nobody passes to you, so you never managed to even get kind of into it.
On the bright side, though, since this girl was my friend, whenever we played football as a class for PE reasons, I'd make sure to at least try and pass to her. It's something.

Captcha: oh sigh

I love this thing, sometimes.