What are things you dislike that you try so hard to like or pretend to like?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I don't hate mine, I just have no interest in them. Cars. My friends will go on and on about cars and I just smile and nod. My car gets me from A to B that's all I care about.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Grand Theft Auto.

Any of them. Whenever my friends talk about it I just nod and say yea. In my head: Fuck that game so very fucking much. I just hate it. I've tried playing and still hate it. The story never really appeals to me and the gameplay is total crap. I do not understand why this game isn't burned on the stake. But everyone else seems to like it so the problem must lie with me.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Touhou Project. While I admit the music is pretty good (okay, I mainly just listen to the metal remixes, but I digress) and I do like some of the characters (even if I think some of the designs are pretty fucking retarded, but again, I digress), try as I might I simply can't get into the core series.

Seriously, I've tried so many times, I really have! I just cannot get into it for some reason! :<

Aug 1, 2010
ShaqLevick said:
Myself...
QUICK! Add a bunch of meaningless text so you don't get a low content warning!

OT:
A ton of things.

One recent thing that springs to mind is Batman: Arkham City. I adored Asylum and was very excited to play the sequel. I ended up trading it back the day after I got it. Something about it just made me simultaneously mad and bored.

Another one was the movie In Bruges. I swear, almost every person on the planet loves it. I just didn't get it. It wasn't funny, it wasn't dramatic, it wasn't exciting and the characters did nothing but irritate me. I really wish I could like it.

Harley Q

Oct 11, 2009
My boyfriend.

No, but seriously,I tried to like the notebook, but I was just so bored and irritated throughout. I really don't enjoy movies like that, or any of that love conquers all stuff. Other girls often tell me that I have no soul

Harley Q

Oct 11, 2009
My boyfriend.

No, but seriously,I tried to like the notebook, but I was just so bored and irritated throughout. I really don't enjoy movies like that, or any of that love conquers all stuff. Other girls often tell me that I have no soul

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
a few of my co-workers, some friends of friends; other than those I'm pretty open about the things I dislike or am not interested in. When people talk to me about sports I tell them that I'm not really into sports, when people talk to me about sports cars I tell them I know very little about cars aside from basic maintenance, when people tell me about that party they got wasted at I tell them that I don't drink much (but when I do I prefer Dos Equis).

A lot of people find me boring : \

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Dr. Who. With everybody getting wet over it, I decided to give it a try. It really wasn't that great.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I openly dislike the things that I don't like. Probably why I barely have any friends, I'm too busy alienating everyone.

The

Jan 24, 2012
The Walking Dead TV Series.

After playing the game and reading through most of the comic, I decided to try the show to get my Walking Dead fill. I couldn't get into it. I gave it a season, but alas, it just felt a bit off to me, never quite hitting the notes that the game and comic hit with me.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I have tried to like movies like the shawshank redemption and lawrence of arabia because they're apparently film classics.

But I just can't. They're so boring and slow paced and that's exactly what they're going for. So what am I supposed to do? Criticize a movie for doing what it set out to do? And yet, I love colors! I love explosions! I love big fight scenes. Give me avengers or star wars or hell, even the fuckin' x-men movies anyday. Just not more lawrence of arabia. Anything but more shawshank redemption. I want more thor and captain america and space battles and big fights and explosions and shit. I want more pacific rims.

Just, no more classic drama. No more.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Studio Ghibli.

Not that I think they're bad or anything, in fact, most of their work is good, but I can't for the life of me muster up a single fuck to give to them. I always come out of their films with the same feelings of "It's good, I guess..." I just don't care for anything they've done. They do nothing for me. I'm probably one of the few people who are immune to the charms of Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli.

And it's not that I dislike light-hearted or weird and surreal stuff, either. I love light hearted slice of life, and my favorite anime is FLCL, but there's something about Studio Ghibli that keeps me from caring.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Oh damn how can I forget Breaking Bad. Well it's forgettable for me anyways. I reached the middle of season 2 and just got bored. I didn't feel the hype that was created by many, I got the story and everything and think it's good, don't get me wrong but it just didn't click with me.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I usually can't stand the latest fad in television. When something looks like it is exploding in popularity, I get away from it before the hordes descend.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
This is actually funny because I am exacly the opposite:
I don't like to pretend I hate something.

Yes, you know what I mean. The things you keep only for yourself because you know the reactions of your people if they learn your "odd" habits you have.
Liking Animated TV Shows. They will Judge you.
Liking different kind of fetishes. They will Judge you.
etc, etc.

You get the idea....

Thankfully, it is not so tragic as I sound, but again I keep the "heavier" things for myself....

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Really, pretty much... everything. I don't like many things, but for the sake of not "offending people's deer feelings" I'll just agree to get it over with.

I really, really hate Harry Potter, but just say I "like it". Harry is simplified to an asshole by the end, Hermoine goes from the smart girl to the whiny complainer, and Ron is Ron. As in, after a certain point, has little to no bearing on the plot. All of the characters that aren't one of the main three are just a caricature. Perhaps I'm not noticing the good bits. I just don't care, really.

I also find the idea of visual novels ridiculous. Especially kinetic ones; normal ones I understand, but... kinetic ones. Just buy a book and draw in the pictures with crayons. Yet as an anime and mange fan I'm inclined to like them.

The opposite also tend to be true, as in I will defend things that other people have little understanding of.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
Torchwood's Gwen Cooper.

For narrative and personal reasons, I can't STAND this character, but god-fucking-damn if half the fandom doesn't go on a hissy-fit if you so much as point at her. So, because I don't feel like getting into cyberwars, I just sort of avoid the subject altogether.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I never pretend to like anything. If fans of X can't handle the existence of one person who openly professes apathy for their chosen obsession, that's their problem.

This is especially true for sports fans. There's an arrogance among sports fans you don't get with many other fandoms. Somehow, sports fans are allowed to assume everyone else is interested. At my job I am regularly asked for my thoughts on baseball or football (in other nations I imagine it's soccer or what-have-you, but here in 'Murica it's football and baseball) by people I've never met before.

Nobody would do this with, for example, a huge summer blockbuster. Never mind that millions of people saw it. No stranger would come up to you and say, "So have you seen Skyfall? What did you think?" It just doesn't happen.

Yet they can and will ask about the game.

My thoughts are always the same: "One group of arrogant, overpaid, steroid-popping Neanderthals is going to play a little better than another group of arrogant, overpaid, steroid-popping Neanderthals who just happen to be wearing different-colored shirts. If you replaced all the uniforms with, say, orange prison duds, no one would give a fuck anymore. You're a fan of the color of shirts worn by total strangers thousands of miles away. I would barely be aware of pro sports at all if people didn't keep talking to me like it mattered."

I don't say this, of course, but there's a difference between not speaking my real thoughts and pretending to actually like sports. I usually just say I don't follow it. Occasionally this response is met with total incredulity: How can anyone live a full and satisfying life that doesn't involve an obsession with sports? It's these morons who really piss me off.

Rich Webb

Dec 8, 2010
dylanmc12 said:
Really, pretty much... everything. I don't like many things, but for the sake of not "offending people's deer feelings" I'll just agree to get it over with.

I really, really hate Harry Potter, but just say I "like it". Harry is simplified to an asshole by the end, Hermoine goes from the smart girl to the whiny complainer, and Ron is Ron. As in, after a certain point, has little to no bearing on the plot. All of the characters that aren't one of the main three are just a caricature. Perhaps I'm not noticing the good bits. I just don't care, really.

I also find the idea of visual novels ridiculous. Especially kinetic ones; normal ones I understand, but... kinetic ones. Just buy a book and draw in the pictures with crayons. Yet as an anime and mange fan I'm inclined to like them.

The opposite also tend to be true, as in I will defend things that other people have little understanding of.
THAAAAANK YOU! I'm glad that not every single person in the universe is spellbound by the Harry Potter franchise (see what I did there). It really is a total waste of time for me. Although I do not pretend to like it, it still remains as one of those things I just can not get my head around. My girlfriend recently convinced me to "just give it another go" a few days ago and it was even worse than I expected.

The scary thing is, when I try to have a genuine open discussion to major HP fans about why they like the movie, it's usually met with a very defensive stance. It seems almost like trying to have an argument with a theist. I understand that the existence of a god is a slightly more important subject to flesh out than how good/bad a movie was but I am always surprised by the similarity in responses.

So why is it protected from criticism? If I poke fun at any other movie, it might get a laugh or spark a discussion. As soon as I mention HP in my peer group, suddenly I'm attacking it! I have this itch to discuss these movies with other Potter heretics but also with people who liked it and are open to talk about it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Breaking Bad

I tried many times to get into it, but all I'm seeing is time lapses and lazy montages. I don't think it's really bad or anything, just a bit shallow, and certainly nothing that comes even close to The Sopranos.