What are using for a Cell Phone and with what do you want to replace it with?

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
A Samsung S7. Been using it since 2017, where it still wasn't the latest model, but was better than my previous phone (Nexus 5). When I eventually upgrade? Who knows. I like to use my phones until they break or become unusable, and since switching to Samsung I quite like them, so it'll likely be whatever the current Samsung model is when my current one eventually dies.

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've got an iPhone 11, which still works like a charm and likely won't replace until they do the iPhone 13 or 14 unless something catastrophic happens. I don't dispose of my old phones however, I give them to my family members.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Pixel 3XL. I moved to this from iPhone and never see me going back. So I'll probably spring for a Pixel 5 or 6, whichever is newer when my phone is paid off and I feel like upgrading. I want big daddy Google to keep spying on me.
After doing a bunch of looking around and watching reviews, I'll likely go in this direction. I was looking to the Galaxy 10+ and the 20. They're about $50 a month.

Sprint has the Pixel for about $20 a month. Much more digestible. Unlike the less expensive Galaxy A series, it has some water proofing to it. Great specs in processor and 6 Gig RAM. Great AMOLED screen 90 hz. The camera and its software has plusses and minuses. Looks like it will be very good for me. Lousy battery. I'll have to deal. Only 64 Gig of storage. I'm currently on 32 so this is still progress. No SD card but I only use mine for pictures. I've lost pics due to corruption on the card. Sprint and Google offer unlimited Google picture storage. I don't know if that is only for the 1st year but that will work. In lock down, this isn't vital yet. I'll look to see when/if the 5 is on the horizon.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Got myself a OnePlus 6T in November 2018, moving from a Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017).

I really enjoyed the Samsung phone, but I just felt like it felt a little unweildy with the small, square fingerprint sensor, and the massive bezels at the top and bottom of the phone. So, I was in the market, and the OnePlus 6T marketing campaign was in full swing with the first in-screen fingerprint sensor, it was getting rave reviews, and it was priced very reasonably at around £500 or so - and I could get it from Amazon for about £100 a month for 5 months - so I jumped, and Its been a great phone ever since.

OnePlus have recently just unveiled the OnePlus 8, which has mostly the same features, but it has a smaller camera notch, and is just generally faster etc. OnePlus phones have also been creeping up and up in price over the last few phones, and the basic model is £80 more, which isn't too crazy, but it if definitely trending upwards.

Im not really looking for anything new at the moment, as my battery is still more than capable, and it is still more than fast enough for everything that I do.

It will probably be a couple of years before I upgrade, but id imagine probably getting another OnePlus device, because i've been really happy with my current one.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I have an iphone 8.

Got it for free from work as my work phone, and the company pays my phone bill, so whenever they upgrade me I'll take whatever they're giving out. I don't have a lot of allegiance to phone brands. I prefer android over apple, but I'll take free over everything else.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I use the BlackBerry Key2 LE currently, and I've loved it ever since I got it in my hands. I wish the camera could be a little better, but besides that it's been fairly solid. Unfortunately the deal BB had with TCL ended a few months back, so they won't be making new phones with them. The only good option I see beyond that for an upgrade is the F(x)tec Pro1. I've been struggling to find alternatives with a physical keyboard, and now that I finally got to go back to it with the Key2 LE I kinda don't wanna go back to pure touch screen ever again

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Moto g7 power. It's okay, but I don't put it under a lot of strain. Disappointed it doesn't have NFC, considering my Nexus 4, which is 3 phones ago, did.

DeliveryGodNoah

Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
Country
United States
I had a Samsung S4 for the longest time. The back was cracking off, the 16GB of internal storage was practically useless, which sucks because the SD slot stopped working, and the camera got pushed in while it was in my pocket and I was leaning on a counter, so it was constantly stuck out of focus for like 4 years.

I just recently bought a second hand Galaxy S8+ and I'm more than happy with what it does. It's peppy, the battery life is pretty impressive, the screen looks fantastic, and it was suprisingly cheap when I picked it up. It was about the same price as the A50 I was looking at, but it's more powerful and better in every way, so I'm satisfied.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I've been using a used iPhone 6. Its what I've been using for the past couple of years but using a smartphone is still pretty recent for me. I don't use my phone much these days though, mostly because I don't like having to clean it all the time due to my germaphobia. I have habits.

If I were to replace it though I'd probably say a iPhone 10 but I'm broke as hell so that's out of the realm of possibility until another decade or so.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
My Nexus 6P called quits so I got a HMD Global "Nokia" 8.1 because it was in mint condition for half of the retail price.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
A landline.
What's that? (Kidding!) One of my big projects was on rolling out IP phones to an organization and my missus mocked me stating that such devices are going the way of the dodo but some people do still use them.
I'm not picking up my Galaxy S7 replacement till the lock down is over and I can go to the store to choose. Torn between Samsungs A series and the Google Pixel.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I've been using LG G series phones since the G3 and have loved all of them.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
What's that? (Kidding!) One of my big projects was on rolling out IP phones to an organization and my missus mocked me stating that such devices are going the way of the dodo but some people do still use them.
I'm not picking up my Galaxy S7 replacement till the lock down is over and I can go to the store to choose. Torn between Samsungs A series and the Google Pixel.
Well you don’t need wholly separate infrastructure for IP telephony in an already networked environment. Just the right kind of switches and something to connect them to the outside.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Well you don’t need wholly separate infrastructure for IP telephony in an already networked environment. Just the right kind of switches and something to connect them to the outside.
So many organizations are doing away with even VoIP phones. Those that need them have cell phones. If you're at your desk with a computer? Use any number of communication methods such as Teams, Skype for Business, Zoom. I first used an IM with AOL in 1995. Times are changing.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
So many organizations are doing away with even VoIP phones. Those that need them have cell phones. If you're at your desk with a computer? Use any number of communication methods such as Teams, Skype for Business, Zoom. I first used an IM with AOL in 1995. Times are changing.
Having more than one type is important in an emergency. With severe weather here, which is daily life in Tornado Alley, you often are unable to get cell service at all.I like having options due to how bad reception is at times.

OT:
I want small phones. And not this oh this one is one inch shorter blah blah.. They are all too big. I use a very small mouse and anything wider than that is too wide to bu comfortable in my hand.Even the Samsung s7 feels gigantic and uncomfortable for my small hands and people seem to think it is small when it is still anything but. I want to keep my phone a d tablet separate.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Having more than one type is important in an emergency. With severe weather here, which is daily life in Tornado Alley, you often are unable to get cell service at all.I like having options due to how bad reception is at times.

OT:
I want small phones. And not this oh this one is one inch shorter blah blah.. They are all too big. I use a very small mouse and anything wider than that is too wide to bu comfortable in my hand.Even the Samsung s7 feels gigantic and uncomfortable for my small hands and people seem to think it is small when it is still anything but. I want to keep my phone a d tablet separate.
iPhone SE might be a good fit. It’s screen is 4.7inch and the device dimensions are 5.45x2.65x0.29 in inches. So it’s smaller than your S7 - but also an iPhone so it’s gallingly expensive for those who are budget conscious.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
iPhone SE might be a good fit. It’s screen is 4.7inch and the device dimensions are 5.45x2.65x0.29 in inches. So it’s smaller than your S7 - but also an iPhone so it’s gallingly expensive for those who are budget conscious.
My issue with the iPhone isn't the price, I just refuse to buy any Apple products over principle. Their whole " you don't really own your products" position, attempting to limit what you can and cannot do with the phone you pay for, their factories repeatedly failing even China's low standards and the fact that the high price doesn't actually mean they pay their workers better means I cannot allow myself to even consider any of their products, no matter how well they may fit my needs. I wouldn't mind paying more for a product if I knew that meant the money was being spent on actually taking care of their workers. For what they charge for their phones, they should be able to pay those assembling them more than the $1.62-$3.77 ( if they are lucky)an hour that they pay them and provide them with healthier and safer working conditions. They are just too greedy to do so.