What are you excited for 2019 in gaming?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm mostly excited for the prospect of RDR2 on the PC, Resident Evil 2 remake and WarCraft 3 remake. On top of that DMC5 looks like a lot of fun and so does Biomutant and DOOM Eternal. There were also a few titles that have been on my radar but I can't be bothered to look them up now. Cyberpunk 2077 and TES VI probably won't see a 2019 release. But if they did I'd definitely be excited for those two first and foremost.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
Yoshi178 said:
This.
https://i.postimg.cc/wMtbDcyz/metroid-prime-4-logo.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

Please look more like this:

[spoiler][img]https://banner2.kisspng.com/20180504/tzq/kisspng-metroid-ii-return-of-samus-metroid-prime-3-corru-suit-5aec0d250bb7d0.143835651525419301048.jpg[/spoiler]

And less like this:

Or this:

the only one of those i don't like is the Other M design. i actually really like the Samus Returns 3DS Suit Model.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
KingsGambit said:
I suspect Anthem will be a 6.5-7/10 game that will be heavily EAd, leaving it a mediocre "Also Ran" in the grand scheme of live service games. It won't be a blockbuster and it won't flop, it will have a SWTOR sized playerbase, not enough to pull the plug, just enough to keep EA Edmonton BioWare still alive.
From what I understand Destiny 2 has been a pretty big flop, so it really seem like company overestimate the desire of people to play these sort of quasi mmo FPS.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Meiam said:
KingsGambit said:
I suspect Anthem will be a 6.5-7/10 game that will be heavily EAd, leaving it a mediocre "Also Ran" in the grand scheme of live service games. It won't be a blockbuster and it won't flop, it will have a SWTOR sized playerbase, not enough to pull the plug, just enough to keep EA Edmonton BioWare still alive.
From what I understand Destiny 2 has been a pretty big flop, so it really seem like company overestimate the desire of people to play these sort of quasi mmo FPS.
The ''quasi mmo fps'' isn't the problem, Destiny 2 ''flopped'' because it suffered from the same exact issues that the first game had, lack of content for a really long time. That and a few controversies like secretly slowing down the amount of XP you gain was its problem, if it would've launched in the state it was when Forsaken launched it would've been better received, a lot.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I have high hopes but low expectations for Resident Evil 2.

Metroid Prime 4? Sign me up!

Final Fantasy for the Switch (like all from the main series). The announced ones for 2019 were 7, 9, X, X-2 and XII. I don't know if I want to get Chrystal Chronicles tho.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Hawki said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
RE2

Gears 5 (And Gears Tactics if it comes out next year)
I'd add Gears Tactics, but then, it's PC only.

Seriously, why?!
Not sure tbh, maybe they think the genre isn't popular enough on consoles.
XCOM was a hit on both PC and console IIRC.

Also, even if that was the case, Gears started off as an Xbox exclusive. Some of those games have been ported to PC, but it seems weird to make a PC-exclusive game in a genre that shouldn't really be much of a hassle on consoles, not to mention that, akin to Halo Wars, Gears has a fair amount of brand recognition that might entice people who don't otherwise play turn-based strategy.

Course I like turn-based strategy (Wargroove's on my above list for a reason), so it's just another twist of the knife. :(

Samtemdo8 said:
Your taste in aesthetic is bad and you should feel bad.

Seriously, if we're getting Prime 4, can we have it, like, not like Prime 1?

(Yes, I realize that's kinda paradoxical, but you know how I feel about the Metroid series by now.)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Hawki said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
RE2

Gears 5 (And Gears Tactics if it comes out next year)
I'd add Gears Tactics, but then, it's PC only.

Seriously, why?!
Not sure tbh, maybe they think the genre isn't popular enough on consoles.
XCOM was a hit on both PC and console IIRC.

Also, even if that was the case, Gears started off as an Xbox exclusive. Some of those games have been ported to PC, but it seems weird to make a PC-exclusive game in a genre that shouldn't really be much of a hassle on consoles, not to mention that, akin to Halo Wars, Gears has a fair amount of brand recognition that might entice people who don't otherwise play turn-based strategy.

Course I like turn-based strategy (Wargroove's on my above list for a reason), so it's just another twist of the knife. :(

Samtemdo8 said:
Your taste in aesthetic is bad and you should feel bad.

Seriously, if we're getting Prime 4, can we have it, like, not like Prime 1?

(Yes, I realize that's kinda paradoxical, but you know how I feel about the Metroid series by now.)
Actually I don't or I have forgotten. Explain again why?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Yoshi178 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Yoshi178 said:
This.
https://i.postimg.cc/wMtbDcyz/metroid-prime-4-logo.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

Please look more like this:

[spoiler][img]https://banner2.kisspng.com/20180504/tzq/kisspng-metroid-ii-return-of-samus-metroid-prime-3-corru-suit-5aec0d250bb7d0.143835651525419301048.jpg[/spoiler]

And less like this:

Or this:

the only one of those i don't like is the Other M design. i actually really like the Samus Returns 3DS Suit Model.
As long as she returns, I don't mind if she even looks like...

By the way, Metroid Prime 2 is my favorite from the Prime series; and even so I think this suit looked kinda silly (just... look at the wheel-like shoulder pads!).

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Okay, basically, if I had to rank the Metroid games I've played, they'd go like this:

5) Hunters
4) Other M
3) Super Metroid
2) Zero Mission
1) Fusion

So immediately there's deviation from the norm in that if you ask most Metroid fans what their favorite installment is, it would be Super Metroid or Metroid Prime. Speaking of which, Metroid Prime isn't on that list because I haven't played enough of it to give it a fair ranking. However, of what I've played of Prime (up to about the Tallon surface), I really don't like it.

So, here's my situation with Metroid. The gold standard of 3D Metroid is a game I really dislike. The gold standard of 2D Metroid is a game I do like, but not as much as other 2D Metroid games. Thanks to Other M, any attempt at in-depth storytelling is probably going to be thrown to the wayside, which leaves us only with no story, or Metroid Prime's method (another aspect I dislike). Basically, my relationship to Metroid is similar to Doom, where Doom 3 is my favourite in the series, but that's an oddity, and we're almost certainly never going to get a Doom 3-esque game in the series again where the current trajectory is the one pioneered by Doom 2016.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Okay, basically, if I had to rank the Metroid games I've played, they'd go like this:

5) Hunters
4) Other M
3) Super Metroid
2) Zero Mission
1) Fusion

So immediately there's deviation from the norm in that if you ask most Metroid fans what their favorite installment is, it would be Super Metroid or Metroid Prime. Speaking of which, Metroid Prime isn't on that list because I haven't played enough of it to give it a fair ranking. However, of what I've played of Prime (up to about the Tallon surface), I really don't like it.

So, here's my situation with Metroid. The gold standard of 3D Metroid is a game I really dislike. The gold standard of 2D Metroid is a game I do like, but not as much as other 2D Metroid games. Thanks to Other M, any attempt at in-depth storytelling is probably going to be thrown to the wayside, which leaves us only with no story, or Metroid Prime's method (another aspect I dislike). Basically, my relationship to Metroid is similar to Doom, where Doom 3 is my favourite in the series, but that's an oddity, and we're almost certainly never going to get a Doom 3-esque game in the series again where the current trajectory is the one pioneered by Doom 2016.
So you prefer your Metroids with more in-depth story?

Well at the very least you should try out Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

That game actually has voice acting and cutscenes from other characters (Samus is a mute though)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Devil May Cry 5
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Resident Evil 2
Doom Eternal
Dusk Diver
Ninja Warriors Once Again

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:

That game actually has voice acting and cutscenes from other characters (Samus is a mute though)
Two problems.

One, Prime 3 is the third part of a trilogy, so I really shouldn't play it without playing the first two (since I own Prime 1, I don't really have the excuse of skipping it).

Two, Prime 3 uses motion controls. And if there's a single game that benefits from motion controls as opposed to a controller, I've yet to see it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Two problems.

One, Prime 3 is the third part of a trilogy, so I really shouldn't play it without playing the first two (since I own Prime 1, I don't really have the excuse of skipping it).

Two, Prime 3 uses motion controls. And if there's a single game that benefits from motion controls as opposed to a controller, I've yet to see it.
Take my word for it all you have two know about the last Prime Games are these:

Meteors = Phazon = Metroid Prime = Dark Samus.

And believe me when I say that Metroid Prime 3's motion controls actually control rather fine. Its one of the few Wii Games where the motion controls are not ass.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Personally, I'm trying to cut down on the number of games I get just because I'm trying to save some more money, and I hardly finish all the games I do get (which I'm working through right now).

Of games that I know are definitely coming out next year, there are only two I'm currently 100% getting;

Dead or Alive 6
Metro: Exodus

Then, depending on how much extra I make next year, if they come out in Oct./Nov. like rumored - Gears 5 and Halo: Infinite.

If I get really lucky with OT (or I get that raise I'm hoping for next year) then I might splurge and get a Switch and then some Switch games.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Lotta PS4 exclusives. Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, and Death Stranding. The first two are genuine excitement. Sony has been kicking ass and taking names with the open-world games lately and I feel like both of these bring something unique to the table. Death Stranding is more curiosity than anything else. I need to know what this game is still. Is it an action game? A stealth? A shooter? I don't fucking know. The Last of Us 2 is looking pretty solid.

Biomutant. It looks like a nifty little Action-RPG. It won't be a day one buy, but I'll still be keeping an eye on it.

That Respawn Jedi game will have my eye. I just love Star Wars as a setting, so anything that's not a mobile game is at least on my radar.

Browsing that site has some stuff that caught me eye I wasn't aware of. Firewatch people are making a new game, which is great. Firewatch is by far my favorite game in the genre. A Plague Tale sounds nifty and I think Spiders and Cyanide are releasing a colonial period inspired fantasy RPG. They make very mediocre games, but that setting just sounds amazing.

I'll close with Dying Light 2. I loved the first game, but some of the stuff I heard about the sequel have me worried. Fighting human enemies in the first game was by the far the worst part of the game. Early on they wrecked you with their infinite stamina and blocking abilities. Late game you just headshot them for insta-kills. To see now they seem to to be the only enemies during the day is.... worrying. I'll without a doubt hold out on this one until I see gameplay.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
From that list: Elder Scrolls VI, Starfield, Last of Us, Cyberpunk 2077, and a little bit of Days Gone. I would have been interested in Anthem, except I lost interest in Bioware after Mass Effect 2/3, and I have no respect for EA games.

Jan 27, 2011
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is at the top of my list. No question.

I loved the first game, but found that the 2D gameplay left me wanting. Still, the universe FELT alive, and it was loaded to the gills with neat features, including a custom soundtrack option so I could have "Flame Mammoth" blasting while I was in combat.

Then, they announced Outlaw, and that it would have 3D space combat and more in-depth space combat. I was hyped.

And I somehow missed the 1 hour of gameplay they put out, until just now.

I love these devs. I want to give everyone involved in this game a hug. Not only does it look like literally everything I ever wanted out of a space sim for the last 10 or so years, but they have features (like a full on IN GAME photoshop app for painting your ships) that are straight out of nowhere and amazing, AND they're incredibly sympathetic and attentive to their fans.

People were like "I really wish we could cut inertial dampening and drift, and we miss the old slower fast-travel system that felt more immersive" and they were like "...Man, we're weak. Here you go. Both of them are in the game now".

That one hour of footage makes me dare to hope that this is the one. THE one. The Space Sim that I've wanted ever since I first got into the genre. After so many disappointments, and several near-bullseyes, after basically giving up hope...Rebel Galaxy Outlaw looks like it's going to be the one. <3

I might legit double dip on this. Once on PC for the moddability factor, maximum graphical quality and custom soundtracks, and once on Switch because playing this under the covers at night sounds like something I need to experience. Also, devs this wonderful deserve my support.

--

Also, I'm still hyped for Outward. Although that's partially because I wrote for the game, and I have a few friends who would be hyped to play the game with me co-op, and I really enjoyed the game even back in alpha when I was writing for it. :p

I can't wait to dive headfirst into it after all the polishing work they did since I left.

Apr 5, 2008
Meiam said:
I completely agree. I think it's not only that tho but an issue with how many "live services" there are now, alongside the myriad of other MMOs, F2Ps, online shooters/mobas/broyales, etc which have fragmented online gamers into so many different communities, very few can actually get enough of a following to stand out.

So I think it's absolutely that they overestimate how much we want to play these games but also how many of us there are. While healthy competition is healthy, so much competition resulted in MMOs dying by the dozen. I don't really understand this fixation with forcing everything online....Skyrim and The Witcher 3 amply demonstrated a demand for single-player, offline games. I suppose online games are "the gifts that keep on giving", by monetising them.

I think there's also a psychological phenomenon like when victims start to sympathise with their kidnappers (Stockholm Syndrome?). By investing one's time and effort into a given online game, it becomes harder and harder to walk away or try something else. The more we invest in one game, the more a part of that community we feel we belong, the harder it becomes to abandon that progress. Or when something new comes out it feels like we'd be better off continuing with the game we're already invested in, particularly if we've spent actual money on in-game perks.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
The ''quasi mmo fps'' isn't the problem, Destiny 2 ''flopped'' because it suffered from the same exact issues that the first game had, lack of content for a really long time. That and a few controversies like secretly slowing down the amount of XP you gain was its problem, if it would've launched in the state it was when Forsaken launched it would've been better received, a lot.
You're right, but not entirely. That was a small part of the issue. I explained it more in another thread recently, but it had so many issues all of which, and this IMO is most telling, were deliberate design choices. Issues included:

- Lack of content
- Throttling XP Gain to artificially increase time taken to earn lootcrates they'd rather sell for cash
- Skinnerbox mechanics in a game that didn't need them
- No chat at all (apparently this is now fixed)
- Shotguns/Snipers locked as "Power Weapons", heavily restricting their use and viability (apparently also fixed)
- No mount until the entire campaign is finished
- "Open world" content is shallow, repetitive and unrewarding
- There as no interaction with other players, begging the question of why it was online
- Consumable "dyes" for recolouring gear, previously not consumable. Done to keep players paying.
- Scaling enemies and samey weapons meant combat was/is exactly the same experience at lvl 1 as at max level
- Power Cooldowns too long. Way too long. A real downer for a supposed class-based experience.
- Overall, bland, empty, boring gameplay loop.

There's even more than that, those are the bullet points. But all of the things I mentioned, cooldowns, power weapons, chat, player interaction, consumable colours, scaling...every one of these is deliberate and the result of design by committee. These were developer decisions every one of which led to a game that was the worst possible thing a big budget, "AAA", well produced, highly marketed production could be...forgettable. So mediocre it doesn't even have the personality to be bad and do that well. At least bad games are remembered, but Destiny 2 is so "design by committee" boring, it was doomed to fail by dint of failing to keep anyone's interest.

But I think Meiam is right. These guys keep making these games, as with Anthem in 3/2019, and they are blind to the fact that there just isn't an audience for them. There are too many of these games and unless it does something totally unique or exceptionally, as something like Warframe does, then it will follow D2's footsteps to be as forgettable as the other "live service" MTX laden games that have come and gone. Global Agenda, APB, Destiny 2, The Division....all mediocre. You may be right that more content and "fixes" at release may have been a different story, but we'll never know. It released like a damp squib, mired in controversy and that's all she wrote.