What? Are you fucking kidding me? New York Times posts an article advocating against free speech.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
That's really quite irrelevant considering that Twitter et al. don't have (and shouldn't have) the authority to decide what is or isn't protected speech.
Twitter should be able to make whatever rules they want as long as it isn't discriminatory as a private business, and no, I do not think it discriminatory to block blatant lies.
Twitter banning hacked/stolen emails or links to those discussing them isn't being discriminatory either.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Twitter should be able to make whatever rules they want as long as it isn't discriminatory as a private business, and no, I do not think it discriminatory to block blatant lies.
Twitter banning hacked/stolen emails or links to those discussing them isn't being discriminatory either.
So you're an example of what I was talking about.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
If Twitter has the right to do that, they also have the right to ignore such problems (and often do), perpetuating vast volumes of suffering with their arbitrary policing.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
If Twitter has the right to do that, they also have the right to ignore such problems (and often do), perpetuating vast volumes of suffering with their arbitrary policing.
I see their ignoring of it more of a problem than them actually holding everyone to the same rules. Twitter constantly allowing Trump to flout rules is part of the problem.
So you're an example of what I was talking about.
I'm an example of what, precisely? " Elites trying to make everyone else shut up"? No, because dissenting opinions are not the problem, lying, OTOH is.

We have people dying due to disinformation because they think intentionally exposing themselves to a deadly disease is somehow a good thing due to disinformation. When people are dying because someone decided to lie to the public, that is when it is no longer " harmless fun" and now in the realm of the persons/groups spreading disinformation is responsible for these deaths.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
We have people dying due to disinformation
And you are okay with Twitter being in control of what information (or disinformation) gets heard and what information doesn't by saying "it's a private business", correct?

That's placing a lot of trust in a business that is motivated by money, given that, if they abuse that trust, people will die.

Last edited:

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I see their ignoring of it more of a problem than them actually holding everyone to the same rules. Twitter constantly allowing Trump to flout rules is part of the problem.
And by your argument here they will still have the power to do that. It’s their platform, they can apply their rules their way.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
And by your argument here they will still have the power to do that. It’s their platform, they can apply their rules their way.
It is though. They are the GM's so they call the shots.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I'm an example of what, precisely? " Elites trying to make everyone else shut up"? No, because dissenting opinions are not the problem, lying, OTOH is.
An example of the impulse to entrust the regulation of what views are allowed to flourish to our ruling economic elites.

We have people dying due to disinformation because they think intentionally exposing themselves to a deadly disease is somehow a good thing due to disinformation.
We had people dying due to disinformation because they believed the New York Times about Iraq having a clandestine nuclear program.

When people are dying because someone decided to lie to the public, that is when it is no longer " harmless fun" and now in the realm of the persons/groups spreading disinformation is responsible for these deaths.
And Twitter can help people lie to you and squelch voices who may not.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
An example of the impulse to entrust the regulation of what views are allowed to flourish to our ruling economic elites.

We had people dying due to disinformation because they believed the New York Times about Iraq having a clandestine nuclear program.

And Twitter can help people lie to you and squelch voices who may not.
NYT was just repeating what US intelligence stated. The people were believing US intelligence, not the NYT. The way we resolve issues like that is by actually implementing government accountability, which currently we do not have. If our officials, agencies, appointed or elected actually had to live by the same rules as everyone else and were held accountable by the same laws, we could put an end to that sort of BS, but since they do not, what does it matter?

The way we actually get legislation that holds them accountable enacted is by electing people who do so. We haven't yet figured out how to get people to vote in their own best interests yet due to massive amounts of disinformation. Yet you see the disinformation as being more important in protecting than getting people to actually look at their officials voting records, policies, platforms and plans. They aren't hiding what they are voting on here. You, me and everyone else can go read it anytime we want.

Twitter isn't helping me do anything tbh, you are the one who relies on them for your information, I actually go read the bills myself. You let the disinformation lie to you, then post it on here. *Hasn't forgotten the Clinton disinformation you posted here yet either* Oh and who was it posting that Biden had removed the public option on here? You're the one who keeps posting that nonsense when none of it is true. No wonder you are so worried about them actually expecting people to post factual information.

Squelching disinformation helps everyone decipher what is real and what is not. For me, I will still go read the bill for myself because I don't just take some random person's word for it. It might help you to do the same before getting all riled up about things that are not even happening.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
We haven't yet figured out how to get people to vote in their own best interests yet due to massive amounts of disinformation.
Thanks to corporations being free to make their own rules as to what information and speech they want to promote and what they want to censor.
And you support that.

I actually go read the bills myself
Are you a Congresswoman or a Senator? Do you vote on bills? No?
Well then that does a fat lot of good, doesn't it?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Ok. So they don’t have to deal with disinformation. So Facebook can kill as many people as they want.
They do have to still abide by the laws and they still can be sued for failing to do so. Sandy Hook truthers and those giving them a platform, for example, have been ordered cease and deist by the courts as well. When people get hurt, they then have grounds to sue and the courts can order them to stop as well. Facebook cannot kill as many people as they want, they can still be held liable for damages.

It is just a matter of time before the US has to catch up with other nation's privacy and disinformation laws, for example:
It is just a matter of time though before we pretty much have international guidelines on this that most nations follow, we are just in that gap in between before they are created is all.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
They do have to still abide by the laws and they still can be sued for failing to do so. Sandy Hook truthers and those giving them a platform, for example, have been ordered cease and deist by the courts as well. When people get hurt, they then have grounds to sue and the courts can order them to stop as well. Facebook cannot kill as many people as they want, they can still be held liable for damages.

It is just a matter of time before the US has to catch up with other nation's privacy and disinformation laws, for example:
It is just a matter of time though before we pretty much have international guidelines on this that most nations follow, we are just in that gap in between before they are created is all.
Lil, would you still believe Twitter should be able to police their platform as they see fit if they were censoring pro-democrat news but letting pro-republican news through?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
NYT was just repeating what US intelligence stated. The people were believing US intelligence, not the NYT. The way we resolve issues like that is by actually implementing government accountability, which currently we do not have.
And which neither economic elites nor the government that serves them want.

*Hasn't forgotten the Clinton disinformation you posted here yet either*
Something tells me your estimation of 'disinformation' has nothing to do with whether something is true.
Vanity Fair said:
In one 2011 memo written by Doug Band, a longtime aide to Bill Clinton, Band explains how he worked for years to raise $46 million for the Foundation through the Clinton Global Initiative, while also leveraging his relationships with corporate sponsors to secure lucrative speaking arrangements and consulting gigs for the former president.
Oh and who was it posting that Biden had removed the public option on here?
I don't know, but I'm quite skeptical that Biden would get even that done. https://www.jacobinmag.com/2020/07/joe-biden-public-option-single-payer-health-company-donations

Squelching disinformation helps everyone decipher what is real and what is not.
And squelching "disinformation" and replacing it with actual disinformation doesn't.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Lil, would you still believe Twitter should be able to police their platform as they see fit if they were censoring pro-democrat news but letting pro-republican news through?
It isn't about being "pro whatever". Like I said, I feel the same way if they were trying tp publicize Ivanka's emails here. I don't want to see Ivanka's personal emails saying she was introducing whoever to her daddy either. It isn't about the party, it is about it being an invasion of privacy to post someone's emails in the first place. If it isn't something with serious public ramifications like what Snowden did, there really is no place for it. I see it as no different than stealing someone's private photos, letters, or rummaging through their panty drawer. It isn't something that should be encouraged.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands

Revnak's world.
Well if the Goths are the government and we are Hot Topic, that's reality that's genuinely what it's like to live under Capitalism.

Reactions: Jarrito3002