What are you hoping to find in The Ringed City: the final Dark Souls DLC?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So this will be out a week from Tuesday, and there are already a few early-level previews floating around that have garnered a decidedly better response than Ashes of Ariandel (Gamesradar said it's "like a warped greatest hits of the series"). I started watching a stream from IGN but refrained before anything significant was spoiled.

I still yet to play the proper game at all, but for people who have, how would you like it all to end?

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
I want to fight the serpents. Back in Dark Souls, it seemed like Kaathe and Frampt were manipulating events from behind the scenes. But you never got to fight them, or even kill them like NPCs. In Dark Souls 3, they seem to have founded one of the factions. I would be happy if the final encounter was with them again.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Answers.
The problem being though, I don't know what answers I want. Part of the allure of Dark Souls is the mystery and the "come up with your own theory" that fills the game. Giving you just enough info the piece the overall story together, but still leaving enough up to you.
But when this is taken away, the game loses a lot of it's charm. An example would be The Sun's First Born. While I won't go into detail (since you have yet to play the game), there are events in III that answer some questions about this missing god, and in doing so, peels away a lot of said god's fan-power.

That being said, here are a few things. Minor spoilers I suppose.

1) I want to track down Velka. Maybe not meet her exactly, but something. Out of all the gods and goddesses, she's the second-most mysterious (first place goes to Fina, and bonus points if you know who that is).

2) I want to know more about all these children of Gwyn. I was under the impression that he only had three, but apparently there are a LOT more out there. Are they really all his children? Is this Zeus basically, or are they adopted? And what happened to the "Legendary Chest" Gwynevere? I know she ran off and married, but what about after that? It's been implied that she's had some kids, but I still want some more info on this final of the original three.

3) Spinning off of that, who gave birth to all of these children? Ever notice how we've never heard of a mother for any of them? Why is that?

4) I'd like to find out what happened to Priscilla. I like to think she's the mother of Yorshka, but I don't know. Plus, there are hints of her in the Ashes DLC, so I'd like to know where she is or what happened to her.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
RedmistSM said:
I want to fight the serpents. Back in Dark Souls, it seemed like Kaathe and Frampt were manipulating events from behind the scenes. But you never got to fight them, or even kill them like NPCs. In Dark Souls 3, they seem to have founded one of the factions. I would be happy if the final encounter was with them again.
A fight might be too much to hope for. A cameo appearance would be nice, especially considering DS3 teased their reapparence.

Honestly, just coming across kaathe's corpse somewhere would be pretty powerful.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Sniper Team 4 said:
2) I want to know more about all these children of Gwyn. I was under the impression that he only had three, but apparently there are a LOT more out there. Are they really all his children? Is this Zeus basically, or are they adopted? And what happened to the "Legendary Chest" Gwynevere? I know she ran off and married, but what about after that? It's been implied that she's had some kids, but I still want some more info on this final of the original three.

3) Spinning off of that, who gave birth to all of these children? Ever notice how we've never heard of a mother for any of them? Why is that?
Yeah, the origin of the other gods is kinda up in the air. The best theory I've got is that Gwyn broke off fragments of his soul and created the other gods from them. How that explains the whole "Allfather Loyd is Gwyn's UNCLE" thing from DS1 I have no idea. Unless Loyd was just lying about that to beef up his rep or that was a holdover from early in development that never got changed(my personal theory).

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Just more of the same really. Just more of that melancholical world, mysterious atmosphere and satisfying gameplay. The stories in these games are pretty good but I'm not really invested that much in the nitty gritty of the lore. I also really enjoyed Ariandel even it was a bit short. Anyways these dark action-RPG's are my favorite genre by far so can't wait for some new Souls content next week!

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
A good reaper-class weapon that doesn't require me to put points into INT. Elfride's Great Scythe is awesome and all, but I never cared much for sorcery in this game.

Or, failing that, a sorcery staff that doesn't require me to use Steady Chant without sacrificing power. Steady Chant basically ruined Sorcery.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
The poise from DS1 would be a nice find.

But for reals...I dunno. Answers would really be nice. Like why was there suddenly fire in the dark souls lore, what made gods "gods," how the curse actually began, how the cycles manage to repeat themselves. An answer to just one of those would be pretty nice.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Beating the DLC results in all further playthroughs being locked to an "easy mode." Nothing would drive "hardcore gamers" more up the wall xD

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
- More gameplay than 3 hours, that's for sure.
- Boss fights that won't melt like ice cream in Sahara under a bleed weapon.
- More interesting environments. This was already a gripe with the base game, and Ashes of Ariandel being set in a Skyrim-esque snowfield didn't really set the world on fire (a hu hu hu)
- Less linear setting
- Lore that's more than just a pile of references to DS1

So basically everything I hoped DS3 to be that Ariandel didn't even bother try fixing. My hopes aren't really high to be honest.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Crypt Blacksword
Bonfire Ascetics
Actual poise

I want these things. I'm pretty sure I won't be getting them, though.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
A warrior clad in a torn white tabbard, stained green shoulder pieces and a fistful of Sunny D to provide some Jolly Co-operation to round out the series.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Avnger said:
Beating the DLC results in all further playthroughs being locked to an "easy mode." Nothing would drive "hardcore gamers" more up the wall xD
I got one better. Invaders only invade other invaders. Everyone else is left alone.

God I'm glad that the rest of the games are presumably less invader happy then DS2.......

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Dalisclock said:
Alma Mare said:
Bonfire Ascetics
I'll bite. Aside from respawning bosses, why? Or is that the reason?
That is the sole reason. I want to have another go at the Princes or Nameless without having to go through the entire game just for that purpose.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Ezekiel said:
I don't even care anymore. I used to love these games. There was too much complicated crap in the Dark Souls III side quests that prevented me from playing it a third time and getting to wherever the first DLC starts. I already uninstalled. The series went on for too long and they barely took their time between releases.
More complicated than Demon's Souls character and world tendency systems? I'd be surprised if anyone reaped even half the rewards from those without a wiki. Maybe if they have copious amounts of free time.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Alma Mare said:
Dalisclock said:
Alma Mare said:
Bonfire Ascetics
I'll bite. Aside from respawning bosses, why? Or is that the reason?
That is the sole reason. I want to have another go at the Princes or Nameless without having to go through the entire game just for that purpose.
Good point. Especially since, if I'm not mistaken, once an area boss is beaten, you can't be summoned for co-op against that boss(or maybe that was only DS2).