What are you listening to Escapists? (July 2016 Edition)

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
July is here. A busy month for many. What have you been listening to this month Escapists? Have you got some new music for us? Have you got a blockbusting classic? Or an obscure song that could use some light? Let us know. Genre and Era are wide open.

To ease the load times for other users please use Spoiler [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.850242-The-Escapist-Users-Guide-to-Posting-Commands-and-How-to-do-Fancy-Code-Stuff] tags and limit responses to a top 10.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ive had this stuck in my head last two days:
And a whole lot of Interpol, Wombats, and my favorite band Bloc Party:

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I've been hitting the cardio pretty hard of late, and this has been on repeat the entire time.

I just can't get enough of it!

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
The light... it burns

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
I've been listening to a lot of this lately. Gets me pumped.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Not been listening to any genre or band in particular lately, just a few particular songs. And here they are!

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
The new Silent Planet album is amazing. Seriously the best metalcore band around right now. Also, this song has Spencer from Underoath in it.

Thew new blink-182 album just dropped. I think anybody who says it's not blink without Tom is an idiot. Matt Skiba (from Alkaline Trio) fits in perfect with blink.

Also, I See Stars put out what could possibly be album of the year.

Feb 7, 2016
First off, the Wild Youth EP by Daughter. Listening to the songs in order tells quite the story, a painful one about a relationship. Someone either hurt this woman badly, or she sure knows how to write like she was.
The music itself is also really good.

Youtube Playlist [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm-PaUwA7I4&list=PLQCmq_V3N92eL7WKAPKfLtMDaglkOVERm]

Second, this song. Don't listen to it. It's annoying as hell. And I like it for some reason.

Finally, another somber song with lyrics I appreciate, relate, and enjoy with good music.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I've been waiting for this thread!
Just found Eclipse and sad that I've not heard of their stuff before.

Gotta say I'm loving dat Swedish Rock.

Also some Protomen of course.
I cannot wait for the full release of Act III!

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014

A classic song about carpentry, like they don't write 'em anymore.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
In prep for Carmageddon Max Damage next week. Still hate the vocalist however.
I love TNO
Really good atmospheric black metal
And as always, Anaal Nathrakh, love that band.

Feb 7, 2016
BreakfastMan said:
I didn't expect to like this song as much as I did. It's funny though, it's a song about the guy being washed up after one really popular song and overshadowed, and yet the only way this song got any major attention was because of a remix.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Recently, I finally found Charlie Chaplin's complete soundtrack to Modern Times on CD. So, that.

<spoiler=Excerpt: Click to View><youtube=3ykdb8Zen-o>

(Yeah, Chaplin actually composed the whole damn thing himself.)

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
DeliveryGodNoah said:
BreakfastMan said:
I didn't expect to like this song as much as I did. It's funny though, it's a song about the guy being washed up after one really popular song and overshadowed, and yet the only way this song got any major attention was because of a remix.
And I think it is that irony that really helps sell the song, in the end. The sadness in that version really has some interesting layers. XD

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Since I became a huge fan of The Loud House weeks ago, I been listenning to the intro all the time now! I just find it so catchy!

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Usually whatever is currently on the radio or whatever I happen to come across on YouTube, but here are some of my recent favorites.
[spoiler='If Green Tea Were Purple' - Spider Dance (Remix/Arrangement)][/spoiler]

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Albums:

Went onto this after hearing how both it and other underground stuff like Shabazz Palaces were pushing hip hop into new frontiers. I've been listening to far too much familiar music (namely, Death Grips) so I decided to dip my toes back again into experimental territory. Overall, I really love the production. It's difficult on first listen, undoubtedly, and the wordplay isn't as slick as your Killer Mikes, or Joey Badasses nor as creative as your Lupe Fiascos or Aesop Rocks, but the production is really, really great. To give an example, the song Get Up is made out of a single clock alarm sample that layers as the song progresses, whilst still providing a decent beat. Summertime uses what sounds like key jangles as a background beat...the production tricks used here are astounding sometimes in how they manage to assemble a cohesive song. Definitely worth checking it out if you like stuff like The Underachievers or the more rap-heavy elements of Death Grips (No Love Deep Web, Money Store, etc.)

God I fucking love this album. It's energetic, intense, rough, psychedlic and just overall an incredibly fun album to just listen to at any time. The way that it's built makes it so that every song feeds into the next one, to the point where the very last track loops back into Robot Stop seamlessly. It's an album to be listened to endlessly, but even, the immediacy of tracks like Gamma Knife makes it so that each track can stand up by itself and still be worth listening to. Highly recommend it if you like rock in general; it is absolutely worth a listen.

A trio of Edinburgh lads that on first listen, I thought would be some sort of toothless tripe similar to Bombay Bicycle Club, but in reality, the album turned out to be a very fun and thoughtful mashup of pop, funk and some hip hop elements that's difficult to really put into words. It's not really a style that hasn't been done before, but the way that Young Fathers approach it feels very honest and engaging in contrast to the aforementioned Bicycle Club, which sounds commercial rather than experimental or progressive like White Men does. Although the name is controversial, racial politics doesn't play a massive part in the album itself, although there are nods to it in places. Even when it does feel like it could approach preachy territory, the perspectives offered are on a similar level of maturity as To Pimp A Butterfly.

It's also just a fun album in it's own right.

Anyone who has ever heard of Swans knows how intense their albums can be, and The Seer is truly proving itself difficult. At time of writing, I'm only at the title track, which is absolutely gigantic (we're talking 30+ minutes). I have made my way through To Be Kind earlier this year, and even though Bring The Sun/Toussaint L'ouverture was a very difficult track to get through, The Seer dwarfs Kind's intensity through it's immediacy. It is a very moving album so far, but I feel like I will have to put aside time especially for this album alone to be able to properly get through it. I am pretty sure that I will end up loving it once it's over, but that road is very long and difficult indeed.

They're also performing in London in November, so I might see about heading there.

Didn't really know what to expect with this album. I bought it in a CD store a few weeks back just to check it out and to try and get into more normal forms of rock. Although the opening track was rather grating, I found that once I had stuck through with it, QOTAS were a band that I badly neglected. The production is very sharp and very modern, but the lyrics and the song progression are just different enough that I can listen easily to not only their singles but entire albums without ever really being exhausted or bored, but also to the point that I wouldn't mind blasting stuff like Smooth Sailing and My God Is The Sun at parties.

Bought this yesterday and I have no idea what I'm doing. I saw that it was cheaper in store rather than online (i.e. Amazon and Discogs) and I decided to try it for the sake thereof. Haven't listened to it, but will do so in the coming days, likely whilst playing The Long Dark. It is entirely possible I hate it, but at least the artwork is nice enough so it looks good on my wall.

Another piece of essential modern music that I have neglected up to this point. I had tried to listen to Stevens in the past, but I was never really engaged by the instrumentation or the quiet singing. Although I have listened to dream-pop stuff like Have You In My Wilderness before, the basic production and folks-y style really turned me off initially. I decided to give it another go by forcing myself through it by buying the physical CD (saved about 5 quid in comparison to the online price) and actually listening to it. This time around, I do find myself warming up to it (due in no small part to hearing the lyrics properly and discovering how grim yet relatable they actually are) and I'll probably end up liking it by the end. If things end up going in this same way, I might give Father John Misty and Sufjan's other works a listen as well.

Singles

This was also new territory for me, since I usually stay clear from anything labelled 'metal' or 'emo', but I decided to give this and Houses of The Unholy a listen. Although I haven't made my way through the album, the opening track is really good. I'm not a fan of the singing, but the instrumentation is top-notch. I specifically like the groove change around the 6 minute mark and how it builds up towards the end of the song. Nothing I'd realistically go crazy about, but it's a fun track to listen to every once in a while and whilst working out.

Another band I really need to get into considering how they defined EDM during what as essentially my childhood. Them and LCD Soundsystem are absolutely phenomenal and I badly need to listen to more EDM albums from that specific part of the mid-to late 200Xs (stuff like Justice and whatnot). In regards to this track, well, it's mindblowing in some parts (like the production) and less so in other parts ('YEAAAAAAAH I'M THE SHIIIIT' x20) as to how it was made in 3 days and just to promote trainers. Fun as all hell, and definitely a party anthem, another reminder for why we need James Murphy and Gorillaz to make a comeback.

-Sigmund out